Pad Reviews

Mark W

I've just switched to front maggie on my mod and I've stuck some of Ali C's joypad material up front (which I believe is the same as Phats?!) on a smooth rim. Rode home today in the rain and the performance actually increased, awesome pads!!!

Hi Le.

Ive decided im going to give my Tnn LGMs another go. Would a harsh grind be suitable for these pads? I'm looking for maxiumum performance as against wear life. Will a metal cutting disc allow me to go deep enough while keeping the grind sharp? Rim is a TrialTech sport.

Cheers

Alle

For awesome braking. LGM + HARSH GRIND

-Use a NEW 4mm thick metal grinding disc.

-Hold grinder at 45 degrees to the rim.

-Apply some pressure while grinding and move the grinder with some speed. This will make the grind harsher.

-Only grind the rim on the pull stroke (towards yourself) grinding in the push stroke can cause the grinding wheel to dig in.

-stop the grinder after 1 foot and remove any alum on the grinding wheel.

-Repeat until finished.

One last thing as in this video grind with the tyre on and wheel still in bike.

pads used- phat pads in alu backings

period of time- almost 5 mounths ( through the winter )

rim,brake, set up- try all hole rime with medium grind, echo tr brake mounts and magura 05 with water

as i started to use phat pads in plastic backings few years ago i was happy to try new one in alu backings. mike sent them around new year and i was riding them through winter. i knew that these pads were good but i was surprised how they worked better with alu backings ( i never had alu backings). as always,during first ride they needed time to bed in but soon they starteed to work perfect. with alu backing they had more bite ad hold, and also they were stifer. when i expected them to slip they surprise me and bite. they had loud sound as i mounted them but now they are not as loud as they were, but i dont mind as long as they work good.

wear life is excellent, i hawent noticed that they wore down during this period.

also i have phat pads in plastic backings in front on light dead grind and they work great.

sometime it seems that they work better on wet :)

now, during the spring, i hope i will test them alot on natural

this are clips that i filmed during one ride, of course using phat pads

i hope i could help someone, and i apologize for my bad english

Would like to add I'm now using my Heatsink CNC Yellows on a dead grind.

Adamant CNC clamps, magura 05, water bleed, deng lever, Echo SL rim.

Is bloody fantastic! Bite, hold and sound is still epic. If you hold the bike up, spin the wheel and brake, the whole bike shudders theres that much bite!

• 2 weeks later...

After all the rave reviews on here i thought i would give the heatsink yellows a try the ones in plastic backings, absoloutely awful hold on the rear, sounds ok decent bite but the hold is woeful and i am dissapointed i wasted £36 on two pairs. Rear rim is a new trialtech sl with a harsh grind, pads are set up perfect??

The best pads on the market are the koxx yellows by a fair margin, need tarty to re stock quicky..

I cant see why yours arent working too well. :/

The only time mine were under performing was when my grind was too harsh for them, so when it slipped, it just wore away the pad.

Back onto a light/ mediumish grind and they are amazing.

Even ran them on a dead grind and they still out performed all the other pads Ive used/ tried.

Id only use the CNC backings though. Something reasuring to me about them, added to a stiffer pad/ backing/ brake interface.

thats what ive found with the pads. when you first use them there brilliant best pads ive used, after a couple of months when there getting worse for wear and abit slim the performance drops dramatically and its very noticiable. cant complain though still a great pads.

thats what ive found with the pads. when you first use them there brilliant best pads ive used, after a couple of months when there getting worse for wear and abit slim the performance drops dramatically and its very noticiable. cant complain though still a great pads.

My hsys are brand new and they are probably one of the worst pads I have tried, I would be better off havin a banana stuck to the backing than this compound, would happily accept a refund :turned:

Pads: Phatpads (new ones(2010/11 ones) )

Time used: 1 day

Rim used: Echo TR

Grind: Yes (medium/deep)

Ceraminc: no

Brake used: Magura HS33 05, 4 Finger lever, water bled, TR clamps

What is your opinion of a working brake: Instant bite, holds all your weight on the edge of an obstacle

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: amazing, i have used HS yellows, HS snowies, Plasmatics, Monty oranges and Phats beat them all!

Review: The brake was instantly amazing as soon as i fitted it. The noise is very nice, the bite is amazing and the hold is great! Honestly these beat all the pads i have used. I'm now sticking by PhatPads! BEST.PADS.EVER

All day on a fresh grind :P

That gives us no information.

The idea of the review is to give us an overview on how the pads perform over time.

Come back in two weeks and then tell us how they are working.

You haven't ridden the pad in the wet, or had the grind dull, or had dirt in the grind.

So the review in my opinion = pointless

That gives us no information.

The idea of the review is to give us an overview on how the pads perform over time.

Come back in two weeks and then tell us how they are working.

You haven't ridden the pad in the wet, or had the grind dull, or had dirt in the grind.

So the review in my opinion = pointless

I have ridden in the wet though... ive seen some reviews on here for people using them for 2 hours and nobody complains!

Pads: Phatpads (new ones(2010/11 ones) )

Time used: 1 day

Rim used: Echo TR

Grind: Yes (medium/deep)

Ceraminc: no

Brake used: Magura HS33 05, 4 Finger lever, water bled, TR clamps

What is your opinion of a working brake: Instant bite, holds all your weight on the edge of an obstacle

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: amazing, i have used HS yellows, HS snowies, Plasmatics, Monty oranges and Phats beat them all!

Review: The brake was instantly amazing as soon as i fitted it. The noise is very nice, the bite is amazing and the hold is great! Honestly these beat all the pads i have used. I'm now sticking by PhatPads! BEST.PADS.EVER

i'm sure you have posted alot of reviews simular to this about lots of pads.

correct me if i'm wrong.

• Like 1

Think i have only done 2 reviews, one i should have edited (the plas pad one) because they degraded bad/

And probably, the pads i use keep getting better and better!

think it was heatsink , you were goin gon about how you were happy with them and you would never ever change , ( this was in a another topic)

Going to go against all Ive said,

and recommend the TNN belaeys.

Ive used them tonight and they are so so good!

Bite, Lock, hold, noise. Theyre really amazing.

Will post a full review once ive used them longer :D

I have bealeays... and they SUCK.

• Like 1