Pad Reviews

Mark W

Pads: TNN Kenny Belaey / CNC Backing

Time used: 2 weeks

Rim used: Tryall hOle

Grind: Yes, Medium

Brake used: Magura HS33 2005, Blood bled, standard 2 finger lever, Tryall 2 Bolt Booster

What is you opinion of a working brake: Power, bite, hold and good noise for confidence

How do they compare to previous pads: better than any other set ups I've ever had in my 6 years of riding, the best were Plaz CRM's on old Tryall rim on light grind, but this one pisses all over it.

Review: Absolutely flawless pads, with a fresh medium grind it takes about 20 secs to bed in. The hold on them are just immense, the noise is brilliant if you like brake noises, it's loud and deafening and very sharp and it really helps with confidence personally. Backing looks rather pimp and fitted to my HS33 without a problem. They are a bit pricey mind you, but for that price and being the best brake I've ever used it's totally worth the extra money, being a harder compound I will assume the wear rate should be good, but time will tell.

Only bad thing I can think of is that it's not a snug fit with (my slave cylinder) it does have a little bit of play once locked up from the pads to cylinder, it's a slightly irritating creak and feels a little odd as you've always got that little play when you're on the back wheel etc. And I also fear that it might snap my slave cylinder into bits being that powerful.

Steve

I'm thrilled you love your pads.

I regards to the play between the pads and slave cylinder it's a magura thing. They don't machine there slave cylinders how they come out when they are cast is the finished product as far as pad fit goes. Now the echo slaves are very different I'm not 100% sure if they are forged or cast but personally I don't think it makes much difference. Due to there design they are super strong and machined to tight tolerances which equals a pad fit made in heaven. Only drama is the diameter of the cylinder clamping area is smaller than on the magura cylinders. So they can slip in the brake clamps plus some of them leak on the seal and the fittings. I think the fittings are more prone to leaking due the fact the alum is harder and the fittings have a tougher time sealing. This can be easily fixed but using a copper or alum sealing washer between the fitting and cylinder. Or you can go the new sl brakes I think echo have fixed the leak issues now.

Pads:TNN LGM

Time used: 1 Year

Rim used: Echo urban

Grind: Sharp medium

Brake: Magura hs33 05, Water bleed-stretched spring, tryall cnc clamps. No external booster.

(Note: I do feel that frames should be listed in the above as I've had two frames during this time and these pads work better on one :S)

Had the pads around a month after I made the move 26" after going from heatsink pads too these I felt much more confident as the bite of my brake was silly good, aswell as the hold being as good if not better than the heatsink.

I feel as a bigger built rider than most on this forum when I find a pad that holds me like this one has Id stick with it.

Weather conditions dont overly affect my pads, however Im yet too try a harsher grind so not sure if that would help much towards the winter?

I do have one slight problem with the pads, I swapped frames a ferw months back too a slate2, I had too change my grind as it dident work as well on that frame, and even tried out a 2 bolt booster and found what ever I did it would let me down on taps and bunnyhops and slip backwards. however now back on the isis and back on the old grind and find it brill.

I also tried out the new TNN pads and found they was a real let down from my past with the TNN green's. Im going too give them a home on my bike but on the front brake as I dont think id ever gain confidence in them in the back. I did a light grind they dident bite that well and just about grabbed on me, I tried a medium and they made a noise and held but I found when I pushed them up taps and rolling gaps they grabbed but after a bit of modulation. (N)

also last note. has anyone tried the tnn clamps? on there own without the booster?

Thanks, luke.

Pads: TNN Belaey pro pads

Time used: Few weeks

Rim used: Trial Tech sl on the back and try all

Grind: Yes

Brake used: Magura 05 4 finger , water bleed no booster onza limey 320

What is you opinion of a working brake: Locks the wheel

How do they compare to previous pads: Easy the best pads I have ever used, I have used them in wet and dry conditions and there is no difference there's still unbelievable bite hold and sound

Review: The Belaey Pad are such well made pads and the performance of the pads is truly unbelieveble I would recommend the TNN Belaey pads to anyone and everyone

Here's and test video

And I would Just like to say a big BIG Thanks to Le and all the staff at TnnEngineering

Jamie

Edited by JamieWilliams

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pads: Heatsink yellows.

Time used: 3 months.

Rim used: Echo TR i think (cannot confirm)

Grind: Yes, not very deep medium sharp grind.

Brake used: Magura 05 Echo 08 lever blade echo lite frame, water bleed, 4bolt booster echo tr clamps.

What is you opinion of a working brake: A bite that stops you straight away and an amazing hold no matter what the weather. and doesnt go good then bad after a while

How do they compare to previous pads: Better than all 3 of them haha.

Review: They are very very very good pads...But only when they want to be. I found with my time using these padsthat they would work for a few days very well then they would go worse. Not absolutly terrible, the hold was still good but the bite was horrendous. And I like bite.

Would highly reccomend these pads as they are amazing and the reason they were on and off for me is because im not good with setting up brakes and i have broken cylinders... 10/10 for loudness!

Pads: new Phat pads

Time used: couple of weeks

Rim used: try all

Brake used: Magura 05 4 finger, TR clamps TT 2 bolt booster Koxx Coust V2 frame

What is you opinion of a working brake: Plenty hold no matter the weather

How do they compare to previous pads: Exceptional - i have used LGM's and belaeys, heatsink yellows, plaz crm's, monty pads, onza citrus, koxx blues. (all first hand not on mates bikes)

Review: I am now a converted Phatpad man, i am using a SH*T tryall rear rim with the worst grind i have ever produced and these pads still managed to hold my fat ass. the bite is not as intense as heatsink Yellows, but the hold more than makes up for it. there is only a little noise but to be honest this is a bit of a god send.

To sum these pads up i was riding in what could only be described as a swamp in the pissing rain my pads and rim covered in mud and the Phat pads lost none of their qualities.

In my opinion (only an opinion, so dont get angry all those that swear by TNN etc) these pads piss on anything else out there in trials land

I would highly recommend these pads to anyone

post-23109-0-26285800-1289073827_thumb.j

Edited by rab shropshire

Pads: Heatsink Coust Pads

Time used: 2 Months

Rim used: Monty 221 pi

Brake used: 04 HS33

Went from rock-greens to the Heatsink Coust pads which are unbelievable.

I expected a brilliant brake, which works in wet and dry and has a brilliant hold. I got none of those things. To be fair they do work (just) in the dry but do slip. They can take a dribble of water but any more and they are an epic fail.

0/10 for loudness.

Edited by Kenny--Trials

• 3 weeks later...

Pads: Onza Lime (Green)

Time used: around 25 days

Rim used: Trialtech Sport

Grind: Yes (Light)

Ceraminc: No

Brake used: Magura HS33 water/ anti-freeze bleed, 4 finger lever, Atoms Elitis Clamps and Echo SL Booster

What is your opinion of a working brake: One that bites well and has huge lock that inspires confidence

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Much better than my Old citrus yellows, V!Z, Echo and Monty Pads.

Review:

When i first installed these pads i wasn't amazed with their performance but I hadn't given them time to bed in so went along using them. Rode for about 20 mins and could feel the bite and hold was increasing by the minute from then on. They got to the point when they were amazing! Bucket loads of Hold and bite on tap when I needed it, though they were silent. No noise at all! Very strange as all my previous pads were loud on the same set up. Haven't tried taking the booster off yet because I'm used to the feel of the brake with it. These pads work very well in the wet too, even with a light grind. however over the last few days the brake has begun to go downhill. The pads are wearing out very fast and seem to loose performance the more they do so. And before you say anything the grind is still as fresh and as sharp as I applied it and nothing to the brake set up has been changed, aside from moving the slaves in because of the pads wearing down (dont like to use TPA). There is no rim contamination or pad contamination, and no tar or brake spray used. Clean rim.

Overall for £11 I cant argue as they have performed better than some pads nearly twice the price.

Would recommend these pads anyday, Cheap, high performing and good value. Maybe a slighly harsher grind than light would improve them even further, but don't expect them to last long :)

Pads: TNN LGM's

Time used: 1.5 months

Rim used: Echo Urban 19"

Grind: Yes - mediumish

Brake used: Magura

What is your opinion of a working brake: has to give me confidence so that I try bigger stuff. Confidence by the means of instant bite, a nice loud honk to let me know they're working right and of course great hold.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used:They blow my heatsink yellows out of the water. By a lot. The hsy's didn't have instant bite although the hold was quite good it was no where near as good as these.

Review:

I scare my flatmates with the sound these produce when I hold my bike up, pedal and pull the back brake. They bite instantly. They hold perfectly too. On a few occasions they have slipped backwards but I think that's because I know I'm not going to make a hop up so let go of my back brake ever so slightly.

Can't fault these pads, I haven't noticed much wear in them either. They work exactly the same in the wet. Its actually annoying that they do in a way because sometimes my riding friends wana call it a day when the rain comes but I want to stay out with my bike as they still perform the same! The only downside I have found is the price tag, £30 is a lot for brake pads but in this situation you get what you pay for. Another upside is like with any other cnc pad, you can get the cheaper refill rather than buying new pad backings over and over. This one retailing at £15 is perfectly priced.

I'm not going to say I won't try any other pad, because I like change and like to compare others but at the moment these are performing AMAZINGLY well!

I just wish the backings were coloured, and the pad came in different colours because the green doesn't really go well with my colours on my bike but now I'm being picky as I can't reaally fault anything else on the pads!

Edited by dann2707

Pads: TNN LGM's

Time used: About 2 months or so

Rim used: Onza hog

Grind: Yes, very harsh

Ceramic: no

Brake used: Magura waterbleed

Got these on the front and back of my limey, work amazing. so much hold and bite. Really loud aswell :P will probably never change unless all of a sudden they go crap. 10/10 from me

Pads: RED plazmatic take offs sold here

Time used: 2-3 months

Rim used: Front Atomz rim

Grind: Yes - Stupidly light though, barely even a grind

Brake used: V - Avid SD7

What is your opinion of a working brake: For the front brake I expect great hold for up to front moves but not really that much bite as I like a lot of modulation

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: I had white echo on a HS33 which were poop, standard avid v pads which were ok-ish but the light grind killed them.

Review: These brake pads are awesome. When ordering, you can opt for the soft or hard compund, I went for the hard compound as I was going to use a grind on the front, not knowing what these brake pads were to be like, but in actual fact I didn't even need a grind really. I presume a grind would make these bite instantly if you do wish so but I really wanted modulation for the front, not bite. They have a very high pitched squeak, compared to the deep honk produced by LGM's. For £13, in CNC backings you get such good value for money as generally speaking refill compounds are £15 anyway! I've recently been trying up to front moves and these have held be everytime. I haven't even noticed any dramatic wear life but then again that's expected on a near smooth rim. If you have a front vee and want good cheap pads, buy them!

Pads: Plasmatic (clear) limited editions

Time used: 3-4 rides

Rim used: Not too sure, deffinitly echo, TR i think

Grind: Yes, deepish grind

Brake used: Magura 05 water bleed hs33

What is your opinion of a working brake: hold you whenever, great bite

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Well, i have had the orange monty pads on tarty (the small ones) which werent good, heatsink reds which were okay, heatsink yellows which were shockingly good AT TIMES but the HS yellows hold is better

Review: These pads are great. I was a bit dissapointed to find out that they sometimes slip while going up like a 1 foot wall, they held me on a 2.5 ft wall for a second then slipped. The bite, on the other hand, is astonishing, couldnt ask for a better bite, the noise is also very nice. Although these pads are good, they did dissapoint me in the hold slightly, but they had a wee angle in them when i got them + they havent been used that much so probably need to bed in. Still, if the next ride doesnt make these pads's hold better, im afraid im gonna have to use xmas money to get some phat pads. But I would reccomend these pads for now, as the hold isnt that bad, only slips sometimes.

8.5/10 on these pads from me.

Cheers for reading! Hope i helped in your search for pads haha

Edited by Kieran Morrison

Pads: rockman blues

Time used:2 months

Rim used:echo urban rear

Brake used: Magura hs33 water/antifreeze bled

What is your opinion of a working brake:a brake that i can trust to do big gaps and something that i can just trust all round

How do they compare to previous pads you have used:i did use phat pads but they are noyhing compared to these

Review:the best pads ive used,very loud,excellent bite and amazing hold

Pads: TNN LGM

Time used: 3 Days

Rim used: Trialtech Sport 19"

Brake used: Magura Hs33, Echo CNC lever, Phluid Bled, Echo SL booster, v!z Clamps, Zoo Python 06

What is your opinion of a working brake: Needs to give me instant lock and hold no matter what I do, with a nice noise to let me know its working. No modulation needed

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Blow everything out of the water, better than both my Onza Limes and Citrus, Echo Blues and Monty X-Hydras.

Review: No other wasy to describe these pads other than bloody amazing. I started using these on a dead grind and as expected they werent amazing. I whacked on a fresh grind (Medium/ deep) and they started to bed in. After about 10 mins they made such a loud noise!!! They locked up and gave me instant bite. This was in the wet too so I cant imagine what they will be like in the dry. I dont care what anyone says, these pads are the best in my eyes.

Highly recommend these pads. Forget your smooth rim, whack on a grind and put these beauties on. You will NEVER look back :D

Edited by Echo Lite 09

Time used: 1 week

Rim used: Alex DX32

Grind: Yes medium

Maggie 05 water bled, Try-ALL booster.

FANTASTIC!!!! all that needs to be said good in wet or dry, lovely loud honk well worth the money (Y)

Better than all my other pads,

TNN lgm

TNN crm

Heatsink yellows

Koxx brown

Rock blues

DEFO maggie blacks/browns :P

Onza citrus.

Time used: 1 week

Rim used: Alex DX32

Grind: Yes medium

Maggie 05 water bled, Try-ALL booster.

FANTASTIC!!!! all that needs to be said good in wet or dry, lovely loud honk well worth the money (Y)

Better than all my other pads,

TNN lgm

TNN crm

Heatsink yellows

Koxx brown

Rock blues

DEFO maggie blacks/browns :P

Onza citrus.

great review,but maybe you´ve missed something?

• Like 2

Pads: TNN LGM

Time used: 3 Days

Rim used: Trialtech Sport 19"

Brake used: Magura Hs33, 4 finger Lever, Phluid Bled, Echo SL booster, Atomz Elitis Clamps, Zoo Python 06

What is your opinion of a working brake: Needs to give me instant lock and hold no matter what I do, with a nice noise to let me know its working. No modulation needed

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Blow everything out of the water, better than both my Onza Limes and Citrus, Echo Blues and Monty X-Hydras.

Review: No other wasy to describe these pads other than bloody amazing. I started using these on a dead grind and as expected they werent amazing. I whacked on a fresh grind (Medium/ deep) and they started to bed in. After about 10 mins they made such a loud noise!!! They locked up and gave me instant bite. This was in the wet too so I cant imagine what they will be like in the dry. I dont care what anyone says, these pads are the best in my eyes.

Highly recommend these pads. Forget your smooth rim, whack on a grind and put these beauties on. You will NEVER look back :D

Wow usually the LGM's can take longer to bed in. Must have done a sweet job setting up your brakes.

Wow usually the LGM's can take longer to bed in. Must have done a sweet job setting up your brakes.

I set them up as recommended in your video Le. Sanding them to the angle off my rim and filing the mounts flat. Made sure all of the pad surface mad contact with the rim at once, nice and square. Fresh grind, 10 mins normal riding, Amazing. Well done Tnn!