Vario Styx Trials Frame Released

tomturd

Press Release Submitted by Krien Dawson of vario-bikes.

gallery_2_811_4521.jpg

Vario, established in the French Alps since the early 90’s is primarily known as a constructor of Freeride and Down Hill mountain bikes.

However, a closer look at Vario’s history will show a healthy interest in Trials, with one of the best known and most distinctive trials bikes, Vario’s legendary Tibo frame, being part of our back-catalogue.

gallery_2_811_14111.jpg

For 2005, Vario are delighted to announce the release of the natural successor to the Tibo, another bike designed with the help of another uncannily talented rider called Tibo.

French rider Tibo Veuillet, recently described as the “Cedric Gracia of Trails” is well known for his showmanship and joie de vivre.

Tibo started working with Vario’s engineers over two years ago on the new trials platform, now known as the Styx.

His combination of showman riding style, and competitive abilities (resulting in 5th at World Cup and 12th place at the World Championships in 2004), make him an ideal development athlete.

gallery_2_811_34895.jpg

From Tibo, we were keen to discover what tomorrows trails platform would look like, and we then set about integrating these elements into the Styx.

For the newer generation of rider, looking for a longer reach on the bike, we have made the Styx available in two lengths, 1045 and 1075 MM.

gallery_2_811_19034.jpg

The bottom bracket is a one piece CNC’ed marvel, designed around a 100mm shell width, which offers maximum rigidity and stability.

gallery_2_811_22164.jpg

But the most distinctive and talked about feature, is undoubtedly the “monkey grip” arrangement of tube that make up the “top tube” on the Styx.

This has led to a frame that is both sensibly light, strong and described by Tibo as “springy yet controlled – the frame offers a very confident feeling”

gallery_2_811_1456.jpg

From the first series of prototypes, as seen at The Cycle Show in London last September, came a raft of changes, both to improve the ride characteristics, and to ensure maximum strength.

The process continued through the winter, ultimately resulting in a production frame that Tibo Veuillet and Vario are happy to put our names to.

Retail Information:

Availability:

The first limited production run will be available from Vario, via it’s authorised dealers, (please see www.vario-bikes.com for a full list) before June 2005.

In the first instance we will only be supplying frames, finished in pearescent white.

In the longer term we intend to make a fully built bike available with matching fork and components selected by Tibo.

What’s Included:

As with all Vario frames, we include a quality semi integrated (also known as “no-stack” headset) with all frame sets.

With the Styx frame we have chosen to use a 100mm bottom bracket shell width, however we are aware that this is not an item most shops will keep in stock. For this reason we are including a FSA Downhill ISIS BB (worth upwards of £50) with every frame.

Frame Retail Price: £399 (including Aheadset & BB)

Tech Spec’s:

Wheelbase: 1045 & 1075 mm

Chainstay Length: 385 mm

Head Angle: 72°

BB Position: +30 mm

Frame Weight (L): 1.950 kg

Edited by tomturd

“springy yet controlled – the frame offers a very confident feeling”

I have a sneaky feeling this is a bit of a mix up in translation: The frame is by no means 'springy', in fact, it's probably the stiffest frame I've come across!! I'd hazard a guess that Tibo means that with the geometry as it is (with a 30mm bb rise and not overly long wheelbase) 'nimble' or 'agile' would sound like a more appropriate description :S.

Can't wait to get my hands on one, and if anyone moans about this frame being un-original or too generic, I think I'll cry!!

It looks to me as if it's the ugliest frame on the market.

How does it ride?

Tibo already snapped one of his, I let you know.

Wher is the seat?

And what was wrong with the old varios, they where the best. :blink: now look what they have done, this thing has come from a humans brain :( how?

Phil.

Edited by totaltrials

Sam here, thats the ugliest frame i've seen (well mostly) but it looks like it should be on like a construction site or something hoisting scaffolding poles from roof to roof. Probs rides really nice but looks gash.

To Dave or Ad:

That description of the headset has confused me a little, is it internal (ie has cup inserts for the bearings to sit in) or integrated (the bearings sitting directly in the frame)?

Looks niceeeee, especially in white, and it's great that it comes with the headset and bottom bracket!

+30BB and 1045 wheelbase? sounds lush to me, that'd be pretty much what i've been looking for! :)

ben (Y)

• 2 weeks later...
It looks to me as if it's the ugliest frame on the market.

How does it ride?

Tibo already snapped one of his, I let you know.

Wher is the seat?

And what was wrong with the old varios, they where the best.  (Y)  now look what they have done, this thing has come from a humans brain :) how?

Phil.

Phil you big moaner. It looks nice - looks original and like a serious piece of hardware. I like the sound of the geometry as well. Nothing was wrong with the old Varios, and I still have mine too.

Wouldn't mind having a ride on this one though...

Phil you big moaner. It looks nice - looks original and like a serious piece of hardware. I like the sound of the geometry as well. Nothing was wrong with the old Varios, and I still have mine too.

Wouldn't mind having a ride on this one though...

Well done Ian, glad to see your not a zombie.

Is this a "trials" frame or a "trails" frame, I'm still confused by the topic description.

Phil.