New Car Time

JTM

1.8+ MG ZR?

The engines are good on the rovers, last for ages. Are pretty quick saying the 1.4 does 0-60 in 10s. The 1.8+ does 60 in 7.2s which is crazy for a front wheel drive car.

They have quite nice styling and sporty interior

If we remove that word, would your statement still apply???

Dont really want a estate!!!

But focus is still my fave at the mo

Yeah, the only thing thats different over the estate and the hatch is the rear suspension(and the hucking huge boot)!

The cockpit room is still the same and the way the rear seat are laid out is still the same apart from on the 3 door where the rear is a little more swished from side to side!

Edit!Nope, no rear discs! thats only on the 2l and the tdci!

Edited by hazzyhaslam

You should look at the rover 25, as they hae just gone down the pan you can pick up an almost new one with all the mod-con's for relatively small money (N)

1.8+ MG ZR? 

The engines are good on the rovers, last for ages. Are pretty quick saying the 1.4 does 0-60 in 10s. The 1.8+ does 60 in 7.2s which is crazy for a front wheel drive car. 

They have quite nice styling and sporty interior

My Ma and Pa just bought a blue MG ZR 1.4 5 door.

Traded in their old Rover 25 and paid £5295 for the MG, brand new.

Really nice colour aswell (N)

It is also a turbo injection apparently.

si your realy are a bum drummer. 7.2 isnt crazy for a front wheel drive car. i suppose i would of expected you to suggest a crap puff car :)

Its not the 0-60 that front wheel drive affects, its the handling and cornering abilitys. Which is why i hate souped up chav cars. 340bhp in a small light front wheel drive car would make it handle like a shopping trolly...

out of all the cars mentioned so far, i cant see a SINGLE ONE of them even comming close to comparing to an audi A3 1.9TDI.

my mums had one for 6 months now, and i can safely say, it is by FAR the best all round car ive ever had the joy of experiencing!

ours is an R-reg 1998 1.9TDI sport SE, with air con, 12 cd changer, full Bose sound system, and full leather interior, and its incredible!

its SUCH a nice car to drive, the handling is INCREDIBLE!

the only things ive driven that compare to it handling wise, is a mini, and a pug 205 GTI, it really is light and nimble, unlike any other modern car!

power wise the 110bhp version isnt by any means slow, as the picture below will tell you, it got to 129mph, with 5 people in the car, on the way to the bike show! sadly, the pic was taken at 123 when we were slowing down again.

ecomony:

even with me thrashing it on the back roads for 200 miles a few months ago, constantly in the top of the rev range, and generally thrashing it, it returned 48 mpg for me, driving around town my mum gets 52mpg average, and on a run to portsmouth uni it made over 56mpg cruising at a steady 90 most of the way, so its CERAINTLY very economical!

cost: a mint model like ours will set you back around 4k with a reasonable mileage (sub 70k)

if you go for something around an R-plate like ours with 90k+ then they can be picked up dead cheap the further north you go generally.

a made of mines just got one, 99s-reg A3 1.9tdi, air con, everything electric, 96k (which is sodd all in a deisel!) cost him £3400 and its in mint condition!

the best bit is insurance!

19 years old, 1 years NCB and pass pluss, costs him £950 to insure fully comp!

i may go on and rant a bit, but i cant see any of the above cars comparing to an A3, its quite simply a class above all the rest!

and lets face it, along side a focus, or infact, most other cars in the road, its fu<king gorgeous!

at least think about it john.... why have a ford, when you can have an audi?

A heap of junk that will go like shit of a shovel. 320+ BHP? :D f**king ugly car mind.

Ironically, that's the sort of car that the person would get it and drive it really slow through town, just to show it off (Y)

Don't get why boy racers mod their engines when all they do is drive to their favourite car park (or public toilets here :D ) and sit there talking to each other...

ramble ramble  (Y)

Yerp tottally agree with nick. When i drove my aunties a3(althought it was an 04 plate)

it was quite simply amazing..and when she said it was a 1.9tdi, i couldnt believe it was a deisel, sure as hell fooled me, so nippy and agile , was a proper beast.

Will defiantly be my next car.

the car halsal posted 1.9tdi a3

That looks the sex :">

Brother just bought one for 5.2k 50k miles not a stratch on it full service istory.

2000, mk4 golf, 1.6 se, 5dr, i have noticed it is pretty good on petrol compared to my last car (pug 306) only filled it up once and has only used a quater of a tank in 2 weeks, the pug just drank petrol. i was after a 1.6 or 1.8 focus zetec or a 1.6 golf, so hard to find a decent specced car for the price :lol:

Nick, nick, nick!!!

You dont think I wouldnt love a A3!!!! lol ESPECIALLY a 1.9TDI one!!!

Ive been getting insurance quotes of 3/4/9!!!k for 1.6 focus' TPFT. I cant check insurance for a A3 now as its too late but the best I got for a 1.6 focus was £1440 tpft. I really dont think I should have tpft with a A3.........Its like a crime!

Its the L postcode. They just laugh at you. Only had 2 quotes under 2k both tpft.

Ill check insurance in the morning and see what it says but I live in hope of someone saying "ooo yes have fully comp on your enzo for £100"

Edited by JTM

ahh cars depends what your into really if you want a fun to drive car or a sensible car, i just got a 106 gti which is a great fun little car my god does it take off at 4200 rpm ahh i love it, but it has some serious french shitbox reliability issues, but i wouldnt swap it for anything right now, insurance is also a big issue esecially with it being my first car, so you need to get quotes before buying.

but the main thing about buying a car is people cant tell you what to get you may hate it when it comes to driving it, take every car you are considering for a test drive then pick the one you like the most

Agree with most of what prawny said about audis.

Tdi's are a good choice. I have had a Golf Mk3 TDi 90bhp for over a year. Its done 114000 miles and so isn't as quick as it used to but it still shifts nicely. I have grown to love torque (the diesel owners curse). Its a bit noisy ticking over (its a diesel so it would be) mostly nice feeling plastics in the interior and feels really well put together. 8 speaker sound as standard isnt bad if a little lacking in base notes.

Comfortable and economical (up to about 50mpg with a variety of driving). Coming back from cornwall recently 3 hour drive and was brilliant even with the weather doing its best to piss on my drive. Never felt uncomfortable and enough torque for overtaking at 80/90 to almost run me into the back of some ass in a saab aero who couldn't figure out what the right pedal is for.

Now the bad bit. Insurance is group 8 which initially i thought wasn't bad. BUT a mate got a pug 306 estate (dont ask) his is the 2.0HDI and is very quick (done about half the miles mine has) same bhp, basically same torque, same top whack, same 0-60 but his is group 5. ARGH. Now I guess its due to mine being a more desirable car (i think so more stealable) but it is a bit frustrating knowing i'm being charged so much for insurance when its definatly not because its much quicker car.

hope thats of some help.

Dan