Interesting View, Have A Read

andyroo

Saw this in an email, should make for some interesting debate:

Our Country - YOU Have the right - the right to leave!

After Sydney not wanting to offend other cultures by putting up Christmas lights. After hearing that the State of South Australia changed its opinion and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her driver's license with her face covered. This prompted this editorial written by an Australian citizen.

Published in an Australian newspaper.

Quote:

IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.

However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the "politically correct" crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Australia.

However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand.

This idea of Australia being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Australians, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle.

This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!

"In God We Trust" is our National Motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.

If the Southern Cross offends you, or you don't like "A Fair Go", then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet.

We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from.

This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this.

But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our National Motto, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, "THE RIGHT TO LEAVE".

If you aren't happy here then f#@* off! We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted. Pretty easy really, when you think about it.

That's how I see it also. But England*, not Australia.

Edit: Why can't I call it Great Britain? I hate the "United Kingdom", I like Great britain, much better, we had an empire, we are great, if no-one else likes it, go away.

And why can't I call it a 'Union Jack'? Because "Jack" is racist, so lets call it the Union Flag. No, I don't want to.

*I meant Britain, but meh.

Edited by Haz

Great Britain and United Kingdom are two different things, both of which can still be used.

Great Britain: England, Wales, Scotland

United Kingdom: England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland

The official name is actually United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, but that's a bit long winded. Most people use the two names interchangeably, whereas they actually have two distinct meanings.

With regards to calling it the Union Jack, this should only be applicable when it is flown from a ship, as a jack flag (flag at the bow of a ship). If it is flown elsewhere it should be referred to as the Union Flag. Again, most people use the phrases interchangeably, despite the fact that they have two different meanings.

Im not racist but in certain parts of london were not allowed to fly our union jacks / falgs! because of offending other cultures! WTF!!! That my friend is a bunch of bollock, people can go to synagogs and there temples pr whatever, but they live on Great Britsh soil and so will live by certain rules

*you speak english

*you respect english

*you will be literate in english

*and too live like a british citizen

Live on!!!!

If not f**k off!

I totaly agree, but on another note i've just been to singapore and they have learnt to respect every ones religion and race i've never been to a more race relaited country they have china town, little india, and then singapore district, and another note theres alot of aussie's there and i have to say i've never met a so stuck up race like australians there like everything has to evolve around them, they seem to think there it, and my god there so racist its unbeliveable.

now who to i vote for so they can enforce those principles?

if oz get what that dude whants...sorry but i'll be hopping over to live there.

as someone said, this country sucks buffalo penis for the same reasons.

that is the most spot on thing ive read in a while....

how can we make it happen in this country?

as the saying goes:

DO IN ROME AS THE ROMANS DO!!!

EDIT: just thought id add that my grandparents came over from poland, my nana speaks english, lives like an english lady, and does all the rest of it. She had to adapt, why cant the rest of them??

im pretty sure years ago that if someone wanted to get arsey about a driving licence they'd be told 'dont drive then' CHANGE THE LAWS, BE HARSH, BUT FAIR!!

Edited by picki

I feel that at the end of the day, we're all living on the same planet, we're not that different from each other. Culture is culture, if people want to live a certain way people should respect that, I think it only becomes a problem when violence occurs, but it takes two for the violence to occur so they could be as bad as each other. Language wise I think that people should adapt, as language itself isn't a huge part of culture, it's a means of communicating with people - it just makes things easier. If they like to speak their home language to each other, why should we care?

Hmm, don't know where I'm going with this, I guess I should put meh (as I usually do).

Most of it's fair enough, but to the people saying we should expel all foreign culture, are you going to get rid of:

• The majority of clothing you wear (a load of shoes, and general items of clothing are designed in other countries that we wear, e.g. skate shoes, jeans, etc.
  • A large amount of music we listen to (a lot of influence from the earlier blues/rock artists in America, as well as rap, hip-hop, etc)
  • Mannerisms we use in speech
  • A large amount of the food we eat
  • Our language and numeracy systems
  • etc.

I mean, fair enough, it is a bit shit that we're impinged on so much by other people coming here and saying we're oppressing them, but there's not much wrong with foreign culture.

Unless you're completely f**king ignorant, then I guess there would be.

why the f**k cant i say england

Because it's not England. You can say that all you want about football, but when people say the english army or some other crap like that it royally pisses me off and most probably all other Scotish, Welsh and Irish people!

And i totaly agree with the above, down with dilution! :unsure: