Myth Of The King Skip

flipkickbs

A well maintained/ looked after king should never skip, or if it does it is rare.

Just make sure you take the hub apart every 2-4 months and give the freehub splines a good clean with a toothbrush and put some cross country chain lube or something similar in the splines and it should be fine.

Cheers, Dan

A full rotation skip will occur if there is dirt or sticky grease on the helical splines. Pretty simple really. If it skips, there's a problem.

In my experience, the bed in period is a load of bollocks too. Mine skipped when I got it and after King 'fixed' it. It was changing the king grease on the helical splines to finish line wet lube that made the difference.

Jon

I have heard that it can tend to do this in the break in period

Most "good" hubs do (Y) lol I nearly had a tantrum when my profile wouldn't engage at all. Then I was told, and realised my chain was slack (Y)

Just take it easy when you get it, and it should be fine (Y)

my king skips on the odd occasion, only track standing though and even then it engages again almost straight away, I've had no problems with it not engaging fully though.

same here, ive only ever had small skips, ususally ones that you can hear but not feel!

never had a full rotation though.

My king skips very occasionally, seems to be when im just riding along fast and not putting much pressure on the hub. Seems to just do small skips and isnt usuallu very loud.

I run 10w30 motor oil in mine. In the chris king manual it says you can run this and it seems to be doing OK, but ive been told by tarty to use something less viscous in the cold (e.g. 10w20). I think the problem with king grease is when its cold it gets a lot thicker and just makes a gunge in the hub...making it skip and generally be shite. I service mine about once a month aswell, and make sure you keep it tight (Y)

same here, ive only ever had small skips, ususally ones that you can hear but not feel!

never had a full rotation though.

Pip, do you remember georges at the bottom of the steps at the wall, probably the scariest thing i've seen him do.

Edited by ash-kennard

Ian if i was you i would wait for the new hope trial hub, it's has 48 engagements which is quite a lot off Chris King but the hope hub has like 3 or 4 pawls which i think are more reliable.

Kings are good if they are serviced loads but it's a lot of hassle, when the new hope hub will be available soon (Y)get the hope hub Ian and plus it's a lot cheaper.

Cheers,

Tom

Ian if i was you i would wait for the new hope trial hub, it's has 48 engagements which is quite a lot off Chris King but the hope hub has like 3 or 4 pawls which i think are more reliable.

Kings are good if they are serviced loads but it's a lot of hassle, when the new hope hub will be available soon (Y)get the hope hub Ian and plus it's a lot cheaper.

Cheers,

Tom

Its suprisingly easy to do actually, easyier than servicing a Hope

I have been running a rear king classic for three or four months now and I am very impressed. I have had minor skips from just riding along, only small though then it engages straight away again. I have only serviced mine about three times, using wd40 (its all I have got). I bought mine second hand off ebay as a full wheel, so I didnt have to bed it in. If you do get one ride it around a lot and do a few little trials moves here and there, nothing that stresses your hub too much. It should bed in nicely then and give you years of quick engaging loveliness!

Cheers,

Tom

The RingDrive mechanism Kings use is much more efficient and reliable than any other engaging technique, simply to the way it works.

The harder the force put into engaging, the stronger it will bite, unlike a rachet based system, where too hard a force, and the system could potentially fail.