The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

Sorry this topic is about weight training ie weight lifting, bulking up, body building.

Not getting thin and skinny.

Typical "I just got proved wrong" response. If you have a problem with the cardio talk then a. dont respond to it in the first place and b. don't post advice which is rubbish.

I even made a point to say that your other advice was good, and you've decided to be a cock about it. Nicely done (Y)

I'm Jason, and I'm here to make you look stupid.

Typical "I just got proved wrong" response. If you have a problem with the cardio talk then a. dont respond to it in the first place and b. don't post advice which is rubbish.

I even made a point to say that your other advice was good, and you've decided to be a cock about it. Nicely done (Y)

I'm Jason, and I'm here to make you look stupid.

:wub:

It's all going down in here!

And rocktrials, if you want to lose some chub, weightlifting is imo, the easiest and quickest way to do it. Lifting hard and lifting to your potential will burn so many calories it's unreal. And you can bring a mate and make it quite social (Y)

If you do go the lifting route, just remember that form is the #1 priority.

It's all going down in here!

And rocktrials, if you want to lose some chub, weightlifting is imo, the easiest and quickest way to do it. Lifting hard and lifting to your potential will burn so many calories it's unreal. And you can bring a mate and make it quite social (Y)

If you do go the lifting route, just remember that form is the #1 priority.

I thought flexing them muscles when the girl in the lycra training pants was looking at you as she ran on the treadmill was the number 1 priority??

no wonder I didnt get bare strong.

I've had about 6 months of being a fat lazy bitch. Started lifting again over the last 3 weeks, just getting warmed up like, this week and last week I've been sticking to my routine as much as I can, and I put 4 lbs on over last week. :D

Doubt I'll keep that up for long though, but I ain't complaining!

so many of you talk so much shit, join a good forum if you really want to get big or strong or whatever.

and learn, not just repeat some other idiot has told you, or do whatever idiots tell you xD

i gained 10kg of muscle in a few months when i used to train. (Y)

its not hard if you do it right

so many of you talk so much shit, join a good forum if you really want to get big or strong or whatever.

and learn, not just repeat some other idiot has told you, or do whatever idiots tell you xD

i gained 10kg of muscle in a few months when i used to train. (Y)

its not hard if you do it right

Well if you know so much then what is the 'right way' then? How do we gain 10kg in a few months?

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

I have until 23rd of Feb to gain like crazy. (Currently the smallest I have been since I was 17, which is depressing).

Thinking it's time I got some of them protein drink thingies. I know Kev's tried loads of brands, can anyone else recommend what I should get? Or does it matter?

Needs to be strawberry flavour, anything else makes me retch. :P

Cheers!

I have until 23rd of Feb to gain like crazy. (Currently the smallest I have been since I was 17, which is depressing).

Thinking it's time I got some of them protein drink thingies. I know Kev's tried loads of brands, can anyone else recommend what I should get? Or does it matter?

Cheers!

was about to suggest nutrisport 90+ till you said straberry flavour, as for some reason, their strawberry powder, feels like powder when its a liquid. which is ming.

I'll live, I'm not really arsed about textures I'll get it drunk, just hate banana and chocolate flavour things, they make me retch something chronic.

My dad gets some cycling stuff from a compnay called All Sports. Is their protien stuff any good? The aerobic stuff is the dogs bollocks, if I have one after going running one day, then the next day I can easily go again if I have time to fit it in. It's called Amino Load, unfortunately it's only 20% protien and 80% carbs. :P

Edited by Muel

Well if you know so much then what is the 'right way' then? How do we gain 10kg in a few months?

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

5'11' first weighed 66kg, then gained to 77kg. then was going to join marines and training took me back down to 69kg.

think im guna weight train again now, as im not joing marines anymore.

ok sorry, well the main thing is find out what muscles you want to gain on, then find out the excersizes for the muscles you can do at home, unless u have access to a good gym.

make a routine for you! so have a routine for arms and chest, another for shoulders and back, and another for legs. (working out your legs helps pump/produce the most testosterone thuse making you get bigger faster! all round, most people dont realise this)

so then you want to make a plan, so routine 1 on monday, routine 2 on wednesday, routine 3 on friday. so do one every other day, giving your muscles plenty of time to rest. **your muscles get bigger when theyre not active after a hard workout! without a couple days rest they will not grow!!!!!!!!!**

from what i remember the idea is to eat 0.25% of your target body weight in protein, 30 mins prior to workout, midway, and 30 mins after.

also when your out shopping and you go buy food, or just a snack, get something packed with protein!.

workouts vary, no more then 10 reps are required to gain size, and thats of any excercise!

find a weight that you can do lets say 20 reps of. then do 4 sets of 10 reps

finish with one rep of your maximum weight!

keep adding a little bit of weight each week!

dont over do it, or be a pussy.

warm up and stretching is vital.

warm down is also vital or youll feel shit the next day.

kettle bells rock

dumb bells also rock!

royal marines website has everything you need to get fit rather then just big and strong.

Cheers!

best one is reflex, the protiens are fused with sugar particals so they absorb into your system cleaner and quicker.

shit quality protein drinks = shit results.

reflex tub for £45 is 90 servings. drink half a servering before workout (30 mins before), the other half mid workout, and one hole one after (30mins after).

drink the shakes with water not milk!!!!!! milk leaves a gooey protein substance in your stomach which is slow absorbing, which is useless other then on rest days. water =faster obsorbing into your system, which is better!.

eat loads of foods with high protein content.

when you work out, drink lucozade or something similar (NOT redbul!)

before, during and after.

you can get powder which is simalar but only cheaper and better!.

anything i missed?

edit:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com good forum!

Edited by Adrian

I'll live, I'm not really arsed about textures I'll get it drunk, just hate banana and chocolate flavour things, they make me retch something chronic.

My dad gets some cycling stuff from a compnay called All Sports. Is their protien stuff any good? The aerobic stuff is the dogs bollocks, if I have one after going running one day, then the next day I can easily go again if I have time to fit it in. It's called Amino Load, unfortunately it's only 20% protien and 80% carbs. :P

you, helps replenish your system.

aim for 100grams of protein a day

diet is vital, each shit food and youll see shit results!

• 4 months later...

:angry: Doesn't seem like I can get rid of my belly. I go to the gym 4 times a week, I eat fairly sensibly....:(

How long have you been training?

If you're generally not that fat but just have a bit of a belly, it'll take a lot longer to get rid of rather than if you were fat all over.

If you're training quite a bit, you want to be taking in around 2000kcal a day, non training maybe around 1500kcal.

I'm sure someone would be able to give you something more accurate depending on your weight and size.

It's going to take quite a while and you probably won't notice a difference for a while until all of a sudden you notice an improvement.

Been at gym since middle of February. I'm not fat fat, but I'm no where near slim. My belly is pretty big if let out :P

Well yesterday I had 3 carrots with hummus, 2x smoothies (comprising of apple,kiwi,banana,milk) a bowl of pasta and sauce. Including about 1 hour in the gym with swimming as well.

Have my summer hol in June and was wanting to be in better shape :angry:

Been at gym since middle of February. I'm not fat fat, but I'm no where near slim. My belly is pretty big if let out :P

Well yesterday I had 3 carrots with hummus, 2x smoothies (comprising of apple,kiwi,banana,milk) a bowl of pasta and sauce. Including about 1 hour in the gym with swimming as well.

aye quieten down fatty :-P

My bench press technique is awful, haven't used free weights for a very long time since, my Dad threw out his old bench! Can press 90+ kg on machine, did 20+ bar and was struggling, not with the weight but the fact I didnt want to go any heavier because of pure tech. Percivere and learn? Get help from classes? Tips and pointers?

My bench press technique is awful, haven't used free weights for a very long time since, my Dad threw out his old bench! Can press 90+ kg on machine, did 20+ bar and was struggling, not with the weight but the fact I didnt want to go any heavier because of pure tech. Percivere and learn? Get help from classes? Tips and pointers?

erm,if your concerned about safety, start with dumbell presses, in fact id possibly recommend a few weeks of it to build the stabilizing muscles(the reason your struggling with a lower weight on the bar on the machine, your pushing one way, and not having to stop the bar going back/forwards/side to side/ tilting)

other stuff people I used to lift with used to do wrong when benching/spotted me doing wrong.

grip: sink the bar into your palm, so it crosses where your thumb joins your hand, then wrap your hand and your fingers round it.

position on the bench: get right up so your shoulders are practically touching the rack, otherwise your having to stretch too far back when gettng the weight out of the rack, also means its easier for getting it back in the rack should you struggle during a set/ just generally at the end of the set.

feet: get them planted on the floor, pointing straight forwards, about shoulder width apart, dont keep them together, dont lift them up, although there planted, dont try an use them to lift ur ass off the bench to make the lift that bit easier.

wouldnt bother getting classes, just get in the gym, an ask a guy to spot for you, most will oblige(as its a manly thing to do), you might feel like a tit the first time, but chances are theyll chuck you a bunch of tips to improve your form, and when you got a stranger spotting for you, man pride always means you push yourself till your ready to pass out..

question to TF, is pain in the lower hip/upper leg common when squattin, or am i tard with poor form?

question to TF, is pain in the lower hip/upper leg common when squattin, or am i tard with poor form?

Can't say I've ever specifically had pain there from squatting. But I find that with squatting more so than other exercise from one session to another your body can become sensitive in different areas. I use the same form each time and can have sessions I come away from feeling entirely fine, however other times I've felt pain in my knees, calf, ankle etc.

I find that if something hurts, immediately stopping and not doing squatting for a week or so until the pain is not only gone but the area feels strong again, is the best thing you can do.

You don't want to push for short term gain at the expense of your body in the long term.

Make sure your feet are shoulder width apart and your back is straight, if you've got those in mind with squatting it's hard to go wrong. (Y)

That's fine then. Keep that up. You probably just need more time to notice a difference. Try to exercise every day with the occasional off day if you're tired. If you don't over do it each day you should be ok to do a little exercise each day.