Car

Mr Motivator

Car setup. The exhaust pipe has something to do with it though.

Basically, when the Ford world rally team (for example) want the new '06 Ford shell which will suit them best, they order it, strip EVERYTHING out of it and put in new everything from engine to dashboard. So basically, the reason why they sound so sexual and manly is because it's not a stock engine. Far from it. The Mitsibushi Evo VIII is £30k but the rally verson is half a million. Probably because the engine is made out of carbon fibre (well, mostly).

I seriously doubt theres much carbon fibre in the engine! (if any for that matter, maybe around the engine, but no as part of it)

yes, its because they have very highly tuned engines and exausts designed for performance, not noise reduction like productioncars.

Car setup. The exhaust pipe has something to do with it though.

Basically, when the Ford world rally team (for example) want the new '06 Ford shell which will suit them best, they order it, strip EVERYTHING out of it and put in new everything from engine to dashboard. So basically, the reason why they sound so sexual and manly is because it's not a stock engine. Far from it. The Mitsibushi Evo VIII is £30k but the rally verson is half a million. Probably because the engine is made out of carbon fibre (well, mostly).

The Ford World Rally Team don't choose what car to run, Ford tell them what they want to promote via rallying. Also, even the shell is not a standard car stripped. I think there's less than 1% of the road car components in a world rally car (if that!). There's no composites used in the engine itself, only non structural inlets etc.

I think the sound is down to a highly strung, turbo charged engine with very little silencing. The drivers seem to be on the rev limiter half the time too!

Dave

I seriously doubt theres much carbon fibre in the engine! (if any for that matter, maybe around the engine, but no as part of it

IPB Image

I didn't mean it quite like that, I menat more of the edges i.e. where there is heavy lumps plastic in this engine (mainly on the right), in World Rally spec, that would be carbon fibre.

Also, even the shell is not a standard car stripped.

If you're telling me that Ford give them a modified shell in any form, nah. The best selling vehicle in America is the Ford F-150. It has been for 22 years. In America's en top selling car list, there are three fords; 1st, 6th and 8th. That is alot of cars. When Ford 'award' their rally team their Rally car, it is cheaper for Ford to give them a completed car instead of disrupting their manafacturing line and giving them a shell, then starting up again. So, yes, the rally team does have to strip the car down themselves.

disrupting their manafacturing line and giving them a shell, then starting up again. So, yes, the rally team does have to strip the car down themselves.

Fraid not! All panels are repressed to the designs put forward by the rally team, based on the external dimensions of the road car, with a 1% tolerance. That doesn't happen on the standard car production line though. They definately do not start with the road car.

Dave

Edited by monkeyseemonkeydo

Fraid not! All panels are repressed to the designs put forward by the rally team, based on the external dimensions of the road car, with a 1% tolerance. That doesn't happen on the standard car production line though. They definately do not start with the road car.

Dave

Look dave works for a pretty big rally team, I think he knows his stuff...

The body doesnt look that different, but I'm sure they change it for better aerodynamics ain't that right dave!

MAte does rallying an says they make the popping sound when coming up to corners because oil or fuel (cant remeber is being dumped into somewhere lol (cant remember off me head)

Most noise is because of the fook off exhausts they have etc

MAte does rallying an says they make the popping sound when coming up to corners because oil or fuel (cant remeber is being dumped into somewhere lol (cant remember off me head)

Most noise is because of the fook off exhausts they have etc

Thats unburnt fuel in the exhaust igniting. My car does it if you catch it at the right revs and blip the throttle.

...its hardly a rally car though!

The majority of the sound people associate with rally cars will be the turbo whistle. A gorgeous sound! :D