Post Your Desktop Background

Dai the Socket

Nadine, you manged to do it yet??

1 thing i might have forgot which you did do... after you hold alt then type 255, let go of the keys. it should make the box blank and move the flashing cursor thing where it types accross 1 space asif some has just pressed space bar. If that doesnt work then i havnt a clue what to do because i just did it again to make sure it worked

Yea i did it in the end.. only, some of the icons said that it cannot be renamed because other files have the same name lol

REMOVE TEXT FROM DESKTOP ICONS

To remove the text beneath an icon on your Desktop, follow these steps:

1. Right‐click on the icon whose title you want to remove and select Rename

2. Instead of entering any characters in the text box, hold down the ALT key and type 255 (ALT + 2 + 5 + 5).

Note you need to use the NUMPAD number keys for this to work (i.e. the numbers to the right of your

arrow keys, not the ones at the top of the keyboard).

3. When you release the ALT key the title will be blank, and you can press Enter to accept this. Blank titles

are usually denied under Windows, but not when done this way as it inserts a blank character in place of

the name.

4. For every other icon whose title you wish to remove do the same as above. Note however that since no

two icons have the same name, for each subsequent icon youʹll have to add an additional ALT 255 to the

end of the string you enter. That is, to blank a second icon name youʹll need to hold down ALT and type

255, then ALT and 255 again. For a third, youʹll have to type ALT 255, ALT 255, ALT 255, and so on.

If you want to regain the icon names you will have to manually edit each iconʹs name.

SHUTDOWN ICON

1. Right click on an empty area on your desktop.

2. Select New>Shortcut.

3. In the first box of the Create Shortcut Wizard, type ʺShutdown ‐s ‐t 00ʺ (without quotes). Click Next.

4. Call the shortcut something descriptive like ʹShutdownʹ and click Finish.

5. To add the finishing touch, right click on this new icon, select Properties, click the Change Icon button

and select an appropriate icon.

REBOOT ICON

Follow the same steps as for the Shutdown Icon, but substitute the following steps

corresponding ones above:

3. In the first box of the Create Shortcut Wizard, type ʺShutdown ‐r ‐t 00ʺ (without quotes).

4. Call the shortcut something like ʹRestartʹ and click Finish.

Note that double‐clicking on these icons will shutdown or restart the PC straight away without

If you want a countdown before a shutdown or restart, substitute a time in seconds in place

in the shortcut properties above (e.g. ʹShutdown ‐s ‐t 10ʹ gives 10 seconds warning before

Also note that once the shutdown or restart process begins it canʹt be aborted. If you want

line switches which can be used with the shutdown command, go to Start>Run and type

quotes) and press Enter, then type ʺshutdownʺ (without quotes) in the command prompt.

Got an XP tweakers guide, would upload it but dont know how. Is just a big .pdf file.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...