Hope Pro2 T Anyone Got One Yet?

scott-mad

ashton bikes team will have theres early this week....so ali c blah will be able to write summat by the start of next week...

or...pm waynio linking him to this topic, although he will prob see it anyways. hes had his for a month or 2 now and loves it, his is propper sound.

rowan, dan jones, rich pearson have thiers aswell...rich told me today that his skipped yesturday and almost killed him... i think the best thing to do when you get them is take some of the hope grease out, wayne did that and his is loud as fack and hasnt done him in....YET:P

no, it skipped on me on a little drop and i killed his front wheel in pompey yesterday because of it, although it could have been his gears...

im so sorry rich, very glad i didnt ruin your weekend

the hub will not have slipped, i will put my bike on that..........

the gears will have slipped, these hubs do not slip, ask wayne or stan..........

the skipping most of the time is ussually the chain eblieve it or not.....

ash

the hub will not have slipped, i will put my bike on that..........

the gears will have slipped, these hubs do not slip, ask wayne or stan..........

the skipping most of the time is ussually the chain eblieve it or not.....

ash

If your saying these hubs Never skip then i'm getting one :D .

you can quote me on that, ive helped develop these hubs over 18 months........... if your hub does honestly skip, and through a mechanical failure, and you can show me evidence , i will eat my pro 2.......

ash

i hope your f**king hungry ash.....

richs pro2 DID skip......... and made the CLASSIC hope skip sound as it did so.... right before kennard plumetted to front wheel, utterly destroying richs new rim!

i was watching the whole thing, kennard went to pedal off the wall at spice island, and as he put the power down the hub skipped clear as day!

I don't see why people think this hub will be immune ot skipping! all hubs skip! if you catch it where the pawls are just on the edge of the ratchet teeth, and put power throuhg it, they will go bang and move round until they reingage (profiles and pro II have an advantage with 2 sets of pawls so will pick up straight away on the next set).

I think the pro II did skip though, no damage done apart from scaring ash and exploding a badly built (wrong spokes) wheel.

you can quote me on that, ive helped develop these hubs over 18 months........... if your hub does honestly skip, and through a mechanical failure, and you can show me evidence , i will eat my pro 2.......

ash

haha nice - unlucky eat it matey - they skip

im running it in and has skipped twice

although its pretty awesome that it picks up straight away, meaning that it wasnt dangerous either time.

IPB Image

First pro 2 in a 24?

When I rode Richs and some local riders bikes with the Pro 2. It was exactly as I suspected, a Profile. I have taken mine apart and the springs inside are indeed larger and stronger than the profile ones. Ash made it skip because he was being a monkey... :P

How is that wheel holding up rich?

I can understand where you are coming from with this 'no skipping thing' but I'm sorry, when Ash Kennard was riding it, it DID skip and threw him over the bars, almost destroying my front wheel as it rammed into the edge of the gap he was trying (no worries btw Ash K, that front wheel was on the way to death anyway....). The hub is, however, still the best hub I've had so far. Two skips in the first two weeks. Thats about a 150% mark up on old Hope XC or bulb hubs.

Just cut and pasted my review from the other thread into here if this is gonna be the 'official Pro 2 Thread....'

Right, the hub. Got it this morning (**notices its now saturday** friday morning) and spent most of the day pissing around putting the whole bike together as I've had new rims, had to sort out gears, new Avid caliper for the rear, and loads of other stuff to put together. I also sprayed the sidewalls of the Ronnie and Reggie black as they just looked nasty against the rest of the bike, BUT ANYWAY, the point is I didn't actually get out until well past 8 in the evening, so don't expect the best review ever.

I tried to have a go at everything tonight (last night, whatever....) : taps, gaps, sidehops, static stuff, rolling stuff, and I just couldn't make the damn thing skip. Every other hub I've had, including a Chris King, has a had a bedding in period on the first few rides where its just skipped and skipped until everythings settled down. The Pro 2 just did not skip.

The hub runs on four sets of pawls which is devided into two pairs. Whilst one pair is engaging, the other pair is effectively resting, and then takes up the slack as the other pair disengages. This is how the 24 pawl design (bigger pawls make for stronger hubs, but not as many can be fitted in so this usually means less engagements) is multiplied into 48 (hence the name: Pro 2; twice the engagements). It took me a while to figure out how the two pairs managed to engage at different times until I put the hub to my ear and span it very slowly. Any one who has a Pro 2 and has not noticed this, try it now. You get one loud click - thats effectively the master pawls engaging - and the next is slightly quieter, which is the small pair engaging. So when you spin it instead of just going click click click click click click click click , the Pro 2 goes click CLICK click CLICK click CLICK click CLICK. Havn't taken it apart yet to see it all working but from how Clive (Leeson) explained it thats how it works.

My Pro 2 (I'm not sure about every other hub) is held in with funbolts from Hope. NOTE: The bolts issued with the current hubs are being replaced with better fitting bolts. From what I understood from Clive, the bolts are slightly smaller than the threads in the hub that the sit into. This isn't a problem as such because the difference in size is negligable and unnoticeable unless you go being really pedantic and go looking for it, but Hope apparantly are still going to send out replacement bolts for all hubs already purchased. APPARANTLY. Don't jump down my throat the second a Hope spokesman contradicts me as its just what I've been told, and the bolts issued on my Pro 2 certainly have the slight size difference.

The hub also has one other nice design point, in that it builds into a totally dishless wheel. I've got mine built onto a Ronnie (from Tartybikes, cheers Dave) built up by Clive with DT spokes, and it's wierd, but I can actually feel the difference in how it rolls and feels.

All in all, so far the hub is behaving like every other hub apart from the bedding in period thing, which is non-existent with the Pro 2. In reality no one is going to have a concise and accurate opinion on the hub for about another 8 months or so when any potential problems will most likely rear their head if there are any. I don't believe the Pro 2 is indistructable but I certainly think its something very special, but time will only tell how right or wrong I am.

FINAL VERDICT: If you've bought one, good choice. If you havn't, what the hells wrong with you, go buy one.

Essay over, sleep now.

Rich

:S :S :S :S

mine aint, BUT im not saying it wont.

im curious as when iv had mine in bits, if you feel the tension of the leaf style springs there soooooooo stiff its untrue. i think they would skip/slip IF there was something broken inside. (PS im not saying this is ALL the truth BUT going off my experience with these hubs and stuff) cos its very hard for the hub NOT to engage properly. cos the pawls and springs are offset. you literally would have to catch them BOTH so there not quite engaged BUT as far as i am aware even if mid engagement one "set" of pawls or springs will be "engaged" iv run a singlespeed tensioner and havent had a prob at all. we will see what happens when i have to put gears on :Slol!!!

Waynio.........................

id like to see a pro2 eaten too. but i think it would be quite "hard" as alloys not very soft :P and it deffinatly would "break" a few teeth maybe even rathcet teeth :-

shit me if i get one it will be in that gun metal colour. my xc didnt skip in almost two years of riding it ever but has now died in a real bad way, so basicly i will trust this one even more as its ment for trials. look bloody nice though! is anyone running single speed on one of these? thats what id like pictures of or info about what spacers etc?

thanks (Y)