The Longest Ive Used A Chain For Thread

HarshRider

i figured out the other day that my chain is comming on 2 years old, its been used on 3 or 4 different trials bikes,

i wondered if any one has beaten that for longest used chain, think im going to replace it soon....

meaning i gotta replace chain ring, sprocket and chain :(

Ive used years old chains on my old MTBs, but on my trialsbikes they get replaced each new build, and usualy replaced fairly often anyway. i keep my chains clean and lubed so there always in good condition. Ive yet to snap a chain on a trials bike. I even used a hollow pin, punched link chain on my old trials bike for a while and didnt snap it!

Ive had my current chain on my new bike since october, when it was built, an im not intending on replacing it soon as its big beefy and still looks like new, plus im not a harsh rider!

About 5 months was the longest ever for me really, and it broke a couple of times while i was using it... i'm just usually keen to replace a chain if it looks old or i feel like it will break. I am a bit heavy though so i get through them quite quickly.

My current chain is a TAYA BMX chain which I bought from Halfords about 1.5 years ago and coming up to 2 years...I did snap one of the plates so I just exhanged the links with the extras because I didn't have any money to get a new one.

last summer i snapped a chain while out riding and when bob picked it up he was like 'christ thats old' that got me thinking and i realised it was 8 years old and had been used for trials, dh, dirt jump, street, road and xc and had been on more bikes than i could remeber. needless to say i decided it was time to value my front teeth and replaced it...