Pinchflats!

hi all. it has got to the point where i am sick of pinch flats. i am running downhill tube at 50psi and quite often if i dont quite make that gap or if i dont quite get high enough on an up i can hear the worst sound >_< ; the hissing of my back tyre going down. any other way of preventing this???

much appreciated

Edited by planet x alan

Its actually easier to pinch it if the tyre pressure is higher, I tried pumping my tyre up a lot and got 3 punctures in one day, let some air out to about 25 psi and i havn't had one since. 50 psi sounds a bit too hard anyway mate. (N)

Bend your knees when you land? :blink::-

talc those tubes up, it allows the tubes to move independantely on the tyre(otherwise they seem to just stick)

also i agree with kris, too hard a tyre and it seems to get worse

i havent pinched a tube in a year or so, and i run standard tubes with maxxis minion supertacky/dmr moto digger and rim my backwheel pretty badly atm :( i run between 15 and 25 psi and its still fine :)

however when i started i ran 40psi and pinched all the time, and i wasnt hitting stuff all that hard...

I think the easiest way would be to learn to de weight the back wheel. On a small kerb or something, try gapping from longer and longer distances, and trying to land as soft as possible but trying to take the weight off your feet, and take the impact through the rest of your body

Darren

If you want to stop pinch flats try the old trick of putting a slightly thinner tyre with no tread and no bead on the inside of your normal tyre, it does work but it adds weight,

nick

Sounds like it really would add a lot of weight, the best idea i could think of would be to definately lower that tyre pressure (sounds like your exploding the tyre not pinching it) and possibly add talc or even cut up an old inner tube and wrap it around the inner tube.

woo just came back. i lowered the pressure to about 25psi and i got no pinch flats :D snapped my mech hanger though :angry::lol:

LOL, Nice that you got it sorted, sorry about the hanger though. (N) At first you'll feel like your rimming out if you really give it some which you kind of are but its not that big of a deal and eventually you'll get used to it.