Home Made Pads

Connor

hi, im planning on putting some rubber i have into some backings to use on the rear but im going to drill the squares out and use locktite to glue the rubber in the backings would this be ok for use on the rear (Y)

cheers snowy

hi, im planning on putting some rubber i have into some backings to use on the rear but im going to drill the squares out and use locktite to glue the rubber in the backings would this be ok for use on the rear (Y)

cheers snowy

if its accurate, yes

make sure u cut the pad to the right sizes and accuratly

super glue is Strong stuff,

Well from what i seen of your pads that you made on the front, i really would never trust them.

They looked like they was coming out the backing and were worn at a mega mega angle.

But meh .... it's up to you, whats up with your heatsink blues anyway.

There good pads ... it's your grind whats making your rear brake shit ... you need a fresh one.

Use aroldite NOT loctite!

what the hell are you on a bout *calm*

Araldite is fine aslong as its designed for Rubbers and plastics (aslong as im aware)

Loctite is the best thing on the market and we have had plentys of pads tested and sold using this

Superglue designed for Rubber and plastics! By loctite

When gluing the pads to the backings make sure you use a high grade epoxy. My mates have been making their own pads for ages now, they have no problems with them. Super glue will work well if you cut the rubber out precisely.

Don't use loctite, its a thread fastener.

Loctite is the manufacturer's name, they make many difffernt types of glue/bonding adhesives plus lots more stuff. Loctite glue/superglue is the best stuff.

Phil.

I'm not quite sure how your going to "drill the squares out" :huh:

Edit: As for loctite, that's a contact adhesive, which is best for this type of application.

well done gents

Massive

I guess I'm pretty well qualified to help out here :)

You can use either Epoxy Resin glues or Superglues for pad making. I've made, erm, quite alot of pads over the past two years and have used either of these glue choices depending on the circumstances. Nowadays superglues are the best match for me, but read on;

1. Epoxy resin is a thick glue which is ideal when you're making your first pads. It could take alot of practise and jigs to make close fitting pads (not only around the edges but getting the depth spot on), so this thick glue is ideal to fill the gaps between pad and backing. The downside is that the strong stuff takes 24hours to cure, and all Epoxies require a few minutes of work premixing between the two seperate parts that make the glue up. You could say that the long cure also has a plus side in that you have literally hours to tidy up the overspill as you press the pad and backing together in a vice. Very smart looking pads with no visible glue surplus can be made in this way over night.

2. Loctite superglues are a very thin glue which penetrates excellently between close fitting parts. In fact the thinner the gap the stronger the bond. The huge benefit for this glue is that it's dry enough to remove from the vice in minutes, but your pad making skills may need to be be better to get the close fit you need for max strength, and you have to be quick to clean up the surplus to give a smart looking pad. You have to be very careful to not over dispense it causing drips/splatter as you turn the pads over in your hands to bring them together, because these drips will glue your fingers together (not nice peeling them apart!) and ruin clothes! You have to learn how to control it carefully to be able to not run into this each time you glue some pads.

Summary

So if you're just making a pair of pads for yourself, then you may find it simpler to use the Epoxy glues - Easy to use and don't require the pads to be made as accurately, if you have the time to leave the pads overnight in a vice for the glue to dry.

If you're making alot of pads then you may prefer to move over to superglues, which require more accurately made pads, more skill and care to use, but the pads are in and out of the vice in minutes so many tens can be made in an evening in one vice.

Steve

the square in the magura is 4mm, u have around 7mm to play with so with a perfect 4mm centered hole will leave 1.5mm, to have a 4mm square and wanting to have a hols u will need a large hole, one of 5.5mm, leavin 0.75mm wall thickness IF the hole was dead center.