Hd?

JT!

Seing as though HD is now getting more and more common, what's it actually like? Is there any noticeable difference? How much does it effect the price tag on TV's?

Never actualy seen anything in HD, we've recently bought a widescreen TV after renting a TV since as long as i can remeber, it isn't HD. Are we missing out?

Its the same as normal TV, but in a higher resolution. So images arent stretched as much on bigger screens. Saw some rediculous 60" or something silly HDTV in currys a while back playing an HD DVD. Looked amazing. More like a moving photograph than a normal TV image.

Add me to MSN, I have a short video of a cat shot in HD. Was posted on here a while back.

But surly you'd have to have a HD screen to watch it? :huh:

You can watch HD video on your monitor in full resolution without any probs because monitors tend to be able to run in at least the lower HD resolution (720p which is 1280x720) admittedly most of us can't watch in highest res HD at 1920x1080. I don't think you'd really notice the difference HD makes on anything less than 32": we've got a 28" HD LCD at home and a 28" non HD crt telly at uni and i actually think for normal telly and dvds the crt telly looks better.

Andy

Saw some hd tvs in Curry's... from a good few metres away you could still see individual pixels... not too impressed... and you still get the flat panel "fuzz" too... I'll stick with my 7 foot projector screen thanks :P

thats becasue the sourse wasn't HD.

---------------

i have a samsung 32" HDTV for my xbox 360, as soon as i switched from my old set i could instantly tell the difference, no jaggys, crystal clear picture, it's so easy on the eyes yet it looks amazing.

same with DVDs too, if you have a HDMI output dvd player, picture looks awesome.

Its deffinatly worth the upgrade, if it wasn't then people would just be sticking with standard pictures.

the only way i can descibe it is if you switch your monitor to 800x600 with 16bit colour, then step it up to say, 1280x1024 with high 32 bit colour.

as for price, yeh, they are more expensive than the equivilant size standard tvs, but its deffinatly worth the extra moolah. My tv was £822 from waratah, i could easily have got 2 top of the range sony CRTs for that money but i recon it was worth every penny. If i'm going to sit and watch TV, i might as-well do it properly, and just looking at the thing makes me feel happy.

However, imo you might as-well wait for the time being until SKY HD comes out, then give it a couple of months for the prices to drop, and the hiccups to be ironed out, then go shopping. I only bought my TV in January becasue i'm an inpatient b*****d and i wanted to play my xbox to the best of it's abilities before i got bored of it.

Oh, and mine also has a built in digital reciever and the picture is sweet.

heres a picture i took of project gotham, straight off the screen and only photoshopped the border in:

IPB Image

Edited by RicH_87

HD is the way foreward for broadcasting , there is an incredible amount of difference between it and SD, There are not any companies fully broadcasting HD yet but there hoping with the cut off line for analogue tvs people will go out and buy a hdtv just for saving time ,

HD was realesed early in the UK due to the demand and then the equipment wasnt there to back all the uses for it up.

Web wise, all my new vids have been shot in HD, but the frame size I exported hasn't been at HD due to the pure size of the files FCP produces with H.264 compression. Although, you can clearly (excuse the pun) see the difference between something like London 1,2 or 3 or even TM2 and the recent Portsmouth ride video I did.

HDTV's will drop in price over the next two years so I recon we'll slowly get there but when we do, it'll be ace.

J.

Sky have a few HD channels I think, the only ones I have seen so far are a movie one.

Shoping the other week in Cheltnam I saw one of thease HD tv's infact the biggist tv I've ever seem was hugggge cost about £2000 but as i say this was on of the huge ones and the qualtie was AMAZING ! even right up close it was perfect, I for one was extreemly impressed.

Arnt the bbc gonna start broadcasting HD in a few years 2010 I think it is...

At the moment a broadcast hdtv i dont personally think is worth the money at the moment. Sky hdtv use the existing dishes which can only achieve a max 8mb per channel, unless they use the new standard in america they wont get much more out of it. so the HD pic is compressed as much as a SDTV image. so untill they come up with a new sort of compression then getting the broadcast i dont think is much use.

however, getting a HD dvd player, an hd gaming console and a hd tv all of a sudden becomes worth while having. i think that when the price gets cheaper and the techonology genious come up with a slightly better compression then HD tv will be absoultly brilliant, and i would personally like a hd tv now to future proof my self for the future. most hd tvs already have a better screen so normal tv should see an improvement anyway :)

Jono

Get a HD TV. Get a PS3, then get one of the many games that are going to be HD optimized.

Just go to e3insider.com or something, and check out the HD game trailers. Gooder reasons as any to go HD.

Get a HD TV. Get a PS3, then get one of the many games that are going to be HD optimized.

Apparently the PS3 is going to be £425. No thanks. At least not until it drops in price substantially. Also I would want to wait to see which will "win" out of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. It's just like Betamax vs VHS all over again. Woop.

Apparently the PS3 is going to be £425. No thanks. At least not until it drops in price substantially. Also I would want to wait to see which will "win" out of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. It's just like Betamax vs VHS all over again. Woop.

how old r u ;)