Whats The Wierdest Thing You Have Ever Bled Yout Brakes With?

Houseface

on a serious notre relating to the air comment........

many large vehicles have air brakes. would it be possible to have these on a bike containing enough pressure to not need a compresor?

i know shimano once tried air gears but needed a huge 2litre sort of size tank on the bike.

anyone know if this could be done?

i thought you couldnt use air because its a gas and the particles are largly spread so when you pull the lever you are just moving the particles closer together but would need a very very larger pull on the leaver to even start to move the pads

i might be totally wrong here though :P

i thought you couldnt use air because its a gas and the particles are largly spread so when you pull the lever you are just moving the particles closer together but would need a very very larger pull on the leaver to even start to move the pads

i might be totally wrong here though :P

It could be done but air brakes don't work like conversional brakes were the braking force pushes the pads in, they work on a different system were the pads are always trying lock onto the rim but the air pistons actually hold them apart. The main reason this system was developed was for lorrys so that if there is a brake faliure the brakes lock on instead of having no brakes at all.

Like I said it could be done but not really any need for it although for some one intrestead in enginering i'd like to see it done.

It could be done but air brakes don't work like conversional brakes were the braking force pushes the pads in, they work on a different system were the pads are always trying lock onto the rim but the air pistons actually hold them apart. The main reason this system was developed was for lorrys so that if there is a brake faliure the brakes lock on instead of having no brakes at all.

Wasn't the reason for the development of the air brakes like that on lorries to do with drivers falling asleep, and the pressure being relieved meant that it slowed the lorry down instead of it trundling along?

Wasn't the reason for the development of the air brakes like that on lorries to do with drivers falling asleep, and the pressure being relieved meant that it slowed the lorry down instead of it trundling along?

what, so they hold the brake as they're going along :S

if not, how would the truck know the drive had gone to sleep? lol

Its along the same lines though isn't it... driver falls asleep brakes dont work without the driver controlling them so its similar to a brake failure. Still a damn good idea, probably saved a fair few lives :D(Y)

Back on topic, wasn't there someone who left their bike at a party or something and his mates bled his maggie with piss?

Yeah, but what I was getting at was that the driver falling asleep and not having control of the lorry was different to him being awake, and the brake system itself shitting the bed (Y) Good idea, anyway. They're dangerous enough as it is, so any safety measures are aaaaaaaaaall good :P