My Astravan

Bucky

Do none of you get why people do these things??

Obviously not :sleeping:

It's all about having fun, you know...

Why don't you winge at people who put civic engines in minis??

Oh wait, thats because minis are "cool" so anything goes with them

Can see me getting verbally raped now, but ahwell, getting stressed lol

Edited by Si-man

*disclaimer*

i am not saying one way or the other about any van in question!!! I have no idea of their power as i have not driven in it, seen it, heard it, or smelt it. ( i have smelt wayne though, smells a bit laak cum!)

What i am doing though, is maybe poking the fire, and picking bits to comment on, whist remaing respectful towards people loves, beliefs and opinions.

Thanks for reading,

Yours faithfully,

Bong Blundell.

Yer, they are abit shit in the low end (below 2nd gear) but when you hit 3rd, then the power kicks in and your off.

Go on then, how the hell does that work?

press the loud pedal down and you get the same power in every gear surely?

too many people have sarcastic comments, not mentioning any names but its mostly the smart arse's that are trying it, i do believe wayne or buck have only meer said what they have beaten, which maybe fact or fiction who cares you guys read too much into things saying a van cant beat this your bullshitting blah blah

i think the only people who can have a say are the people who own cars that could actually out perform there vans not some who owns a gash seat leon or C2 or a saxo or what ever, at the end of the day wayne and buck are having fun there way so why are you trying to bring them down an not believe what they are saying? you can moan about it and bitch but its not goner change the fact that there happy with them and are enjoying what there doing, am sure this was a post about bucks van not, i hate vans and love subaru's and evo's etc so i cant believe it would beat it :\

the perfect word for these people are haters.

not some who owns a gash seat leon or C2 or a saxo or what ever

say what you like about the french hatches.... but dont ever class the LCR in that group....

unlike the C2 and saxo, and LCR pushes out 225bhp standard, and with a remap, thats straight up to 265..... 6speed box, brembo brakes....

put one of them around a track against a c20let van..... itd be close.....

The people taking the piss = clueless.

Go back to riding bikes good, as clearly anything with more then 2 wheels isn't your thing.

:rolleyes:

You obviously havnt seen a c20let engine transplant vehicle before.

mates corsa, kept up with a 1000bhp martini cosworth tonight, corsa ran out of top end...

Was it Mc devvo at halfords drag strip lol

to be honest a vans a van at the end of the day, yes bucky and waynios are nice, maybe fun for them to drive but whatever you do there not going to handle any better. It's peoples preference in whats fun, but the facts are scoobies & evos have excellent handling, fast off the mark due to 4wd and fast once the are going, theres no doubt about it that there an awsome car it's unbeatable for the money you pay for one and because it's jap its obviusly going to be reliable unlike any other. Once modified they rinse anything i.e ferraris, dodge vipers pretty much anything, take norris designs evo for instance your ferraris, porshes,lambos wouldnt stand a chance

Edited by Clarky

i have "tried" the 0-60 time and it does it in less than 6 seconds on a mobile phone. i need something probalby a computer to plug into the van so i can get a more accurate 0-60 time.

i have got proper dyno results which are at work and stand me at 300BHP and 320Lb/Ft torque. we had it running at around 320bhp and 340 lb/ft but the engine was detanating. it was fine at what it runs now, when its cold, the engine runs at much higher performance with the large front mount intercoller and the colder air being fed into the engine.

i for one HAVE PROVEN that in a straight line my van is fast, iv never EVER said it handles BETTER than 1 4x4 as i wish my van was 4x4 but the power lost through a 4x4 system is not adequete, my van would probably loose way too much power. mine handles fine for me, and iv not had any problems with cornering. just for the record my van from the factory weighs 1200kg so just over a tonne, a scooby or evo will weigh double that ;) so i have a power advantage a weight advantage BUT a traction (2 wheel drive) dis advantage????

An EVO8 pulled up the side of me on the bypass after blitzing past me, i past him and as soon as i was in front he was RIGHT up my arse could hardly see his headlights, the person who can prove this is my GF, she was hanging onto the door handle!!! she dont like going fast but as i had noticed it was an Evo i thought i would give it a try and see if or what mine was against it. dont forget 4x4 LOOSE power with the distribution to 4 wheels and not 2!!!!i probably (didnt look was getting a far better buzz from the sheer speed and thrill of the acceleration) the GF looked at the clocks as i had started to brake and was at 145. the Evo's headlights got further and further away, instead of him being 10 yards behind me he was more like 40/50yards.

i dont know how to scan stuff in but if someone else like bucky can do it il prove to the people that dont believe it. the problem with Evo's and Scoobies is they make all that noise and dont go no where, dont they Ben???? the main thing they have got going for them is that their 4x4.

Chris you can say "in the wet" this and in the wet that, but at the end of the day when i have had a blast with someone in the wet, they may have the "start" but the problem is they cant finish what they start.

Who cares anyway, the topic is about bucks van which again is very fast and a good laugh, if you dont like astra vans go make your own topic about a 120bhp Zetec S (Y) and "mummy and daddys cars" THESE vans are our own with REAL insurance and REAL speed and POWER not toy town talk. this is what me and a few mates have wanted and we have got. were happy. you all aint seen the FASTER van yet which is feathers hes got 20bhp and 20lb/ft more than mine

Each to their own. Danny great your dad has got 280bhp? BUT what lb/ft? lb/ft is more important than BHP, why do you think the Astra 888 Diesel is so good? its got something on the line of 200bhp BUT 300 odd lb/ft torque!!! that would give a 250/280bhp PETROL car a run for its money. This is why i lost loads of interest over winter of biking cos its full of petty bollox squabbling. if you cant believe facts and figures then what are peopl going to believe? pigs can fly? its like luke said yes your everyday "mummy or daddys" car is fine but you cant tell me that your all rigged up in your OWN 280/300 bhp machine? im lucky to be paying £1300 fully comp BUT is only insured for 200bhp, but whos to know if mine is running 200? or 300? other than the rolling road?

Waynio...................................

Danny/Ben if your cars are that fast take them to a 1/4 mile day and a track day, i dont mind admitting mine might not be as fast ROUND a track as a 300bhp scooby/evo or even a 280bhp scooby/evo but i sure as hell would have a good laugh at going round the track and ENJOYING myself. dont forget though, scoobies are old news now, for the factor of best import car, it lost that along time ago when the EVO lution was released.

EDIT: that is quite funny though, i just went out to mine to see if i could find my loud pedal!!!! :lol: absolute beauty, i suppose most of trials forum will be off out to their mum and dads car now to find the "LOUD PEDAL" :lol:

thats what you call "TURBO BOOST" after 3500RPM in 3rd you get a better BOOST pressure, as standard some/most turbos will run 10psi or a bit less maybe a tad more, at over boost you get around 3/4 psi more, but with different chipping for the ECU you can get more and more, like mine has 12/14psi as STANDARD boost in 1st and 2nd, then when she blows into 3rd she gets 20psi (when its cold she gets 22 and blows boost pipes off for fun!!! dont she bucky?)

Joe its the sheer bollox that most others talk, iv spent 4months out of biking to do different things in life, and i must say its been the best 4months in a while. its not the "bollox" people speak its the sheer non believeness that people have. they will only believe it when they see it and are proven wrong. which may never happen, a bit like life in general, theres things you can believe and things you cant believe, the poeple who know me know that i dont lie, you get no where in life.

Biketrial season starts in 1month, iv got 1month to get my shit back together and find a bike to ride. ah well. alls good.

Waynio....................

Edited by Waynio

my van from the factory weighs 1200kg so just over a tonne, a scooby or evo will weigh double that ;) so i have a power advantage a weight advantage BUT a traction (2 wheel drive) dis advantage????

Wayne, a scooby weighs arouind 1300kg not "double". And when you say a subaru is old news, it may have been out for a while but its still kicking ass and i dont see why the evo has taken over.. there just as good as each other standard <_<

No point in arguing but at the end of the day a vans a van you can never expect it to be a race/rally car and thats when jap cars like imprezas and evos take over. I can't honestly believe that your van can beat a sti for a 1/4 mile or even to 150mph

rolling start or standing, but even so why would it matter, you have not built it for drag races have you? so it would be pointless as as soon as you get to a corner you would have to near enough stop in comparison to a good handling car

Edited by Clarky

Ok now hold on!

Just reading the first few lines of that an i know that is one mental (an professionally done) car!

Triple 8 are the company who prepare the Vauxhall Astras for the BTCC. They know exactly what they are doing. An I bet that car is mega money as well. If you wanted that done to your Astra-van then expect your pockets to be lightened by several grand (probly 15-20k)

It cost about double that IIRC, but thats including the cost of the van in the first place and the labour. it was brought by a guy on astra-sport for 12k + vat.

The main cost was the tuning and bodywork, the handling side is relatively simple - A vauxhall zaf 'box and some astra coupe shocks.. not the most expensive collection of parts really.

EDIT: that is quite funny though, i just went out to mine to see if i could find my loud pedal!!!! :lol: absolute beauty, i suppose most of trials forum will be off out to their mum and dads car now to find the "LOUD PEDAL" :lol:

Sorry Wayne but I'm getting tired of this obsession you seem to have that everyone on here is either about 12yrs old or they drive a car "Mummy and Daddy" bought for them. What are you basing this on? It's patronising to say the least and makes you sound like an arrogant jerk! A lot of us on here are perfectly mature people who own our own cars which we pay for ourselves with money we earn, so stop talking down to us like you're somehow above us all.

I doubt in fact that anyone went to look for the "Loud Pedal" as most people on here a intelligent enough to have made the association, it was fairly obvious after all!

Davey

Sorry Wayne but I'm getting tired of this obsession you seem to have that everyone on here is either about 12yrs old or they drive a car "Mummy and Daddy" bought for them. What are you basing this on? It's patronising to say the least and makes you sound like an arrogant jerk! A lot of us on here are perfectly mature people who own our own cars which we pay for ourselves with money we earn, so stop talking down to us like you're somehow above us all.

I doubt in fact that anyone went to look for the "Loud Pedal" as most people on here a intelligent enough to have made the association, it was fairly obvious after all!

Davey

aye fair true abit low of wayne but saying that i come in that category :) my mum paid for my cars, what people need to do is to learn to let things go an stop trying to prove them wrong, its for one boring and very pointless, wayne has said his piece this post is about bucks van nothing more

say what you like about the french hatches.... but dont ever class the LCR in that group....

unlike the C2 and saxo, and LCR pushes out 225bhp standard, and with a remap, thats straight up to 265..... 6speed box, brembo brakes....

put one of them around a track against a c20let van..... itd be close.....

mate owns one lol :) could think of a better car for the price, and i think you could too ;)

Yeah I know, it was just getting on my nerves, there's no need to be patronising! Anyway, said my piece, on with the Astra Van debate!!!!

Personally I'd prefer to have an Astra Van that went like shite off a polished shovel than an Evo........ well ok that's a lie, but I think it'd be fun because people know Evo's are quick so they're not surprised or impressed any more, but they don't expect something that looks like a works van to tear the crap outta them at the lights, would like to see peoples faces I guess, I imagine it's priceless!

Davey

Yeah I know, it was just getting on my nerves, there's no need to be patronising! Anyway, said my piece, on with the Astra Van debate!!!!

Personally I'd prefer to have an Astra Van that went like shite off a polished shovel than an Evo........ well ok that's a lie, but I think it'd be fun because people know Evo's are quick so they're not surprised or impressed any more, but they don't expect something that looks like a works van to tear the crap outta them at the lights, would like to see peoples faces I guess, I imagine it's priceless!

Davey

but some people don't buy a car to impress others (Y) i know i didn't, and wayne and buck didn't.

but some people don't buy a car to impress others (Y) i know i didn't, and wayne and buck didn't.

No me neither, I drive a 106 1.5 diesel, haha! But you have to admit there is a novelty value to owning a car which people assume is going to be slow and then caining them in it!

Davey

I like this topic because I like arguing about cars :)

Wayne, why just in 3rd gear?! Any turbo car will produces the same boost by the same point in the rev range in any gear, so why third?!

As Ive said before, these vans are only good for surprising people imo. They might handle well for vans but not well for a car. Bucks van is what, 150bhp? 1200kg? Well my standard mx5 is 131bhp and 1000kg so mine is probably as fast, it defo handles better, and I can garantee its more fun :) And it cost me 4k. So, as Ive said, if people were really INTO cars and driving, why the hell would you buy a van!!!! Its just the surprise element, which is something I dont care about.

Im like Bongo, I know you lads and your all sound, but when it comes to car talk, its war (6) hehe

Im like Bongo, I know you lads and your all sound, but when it comes to car talk, its war (6) hehe

but i'm not arguing one side!! i'm arguing both sides when i see a point i wanna comment on i do whether its for or against, clever or stupid, van or car, 2 wheel drive or 4 lol.

Kinda like when you cause shit between mum and dad, then walk away and let them argue!!!

No me neither, I drive a 106 1.5 diesel, haha! But you have to admit there is a novelty value to owning a car which people assume is going to be slow and then caining them in it!

Davey

yes my mate owns one of them he can keep up with me in second lol its fair nippy, shite up hills in third though :P

yes my mate owns one of them he can keep up with me in second lol its fair nippy, shite up hills in third though :P

Yeah aint that a fact, I thought diesels were meant to pull really well up hills! It's nippy up to about 40mph then getting to 80mph can take anything up to about a week!

Davey

Wayne, why just in 3rd gear?! Any turbo car will produces the same boost by the same point in the rev range in any gear, so why third?!

That's not strictly true.

In first gear, by the time the boost has kicked in, you have to change gear. Same for second, although you get a wee bit more time. I would say third is probably the ideal gear, 'cos you get the pull of the turbo, as well as the acceleration from the lower gearing.

That's why dyno testing is always carried out in the higest gear, because thats where the most torque is developed.

Unless you've actually driven a turbo'd car, it's hard to explain.

In first gear, by the time the boost has kicked in, you have to change gear. Same for second, although you get a wee bit more time. I would say third is probably the ideal gear, 'cos you get the pull of the turbo, as well as the acceleration from the lower gearing.

Unless you've actually driven a turbo'd car, it's hard to explain.

very true....

due to the weight of the car, and how low 1st and 2nd gears are, the turbo doesnt have enough time to spin up in 1st and 2nd gear to reach full boost.....

for example, a remapped A3 will run around 16-18psi or boost, although in 1st gear you will never see more than 10psi, as the gear is so short, its revved right the way through it before max boost has been reached. the same happens in second gear to a lesser extent.

once ive upped the boost in mine ill go out and film the boost gauge to show what i mean! she should hit around 16psi in 3rd/4th/5th, but i know it wont happen in 1st or 2nd!

and as for the bloke who said why dont we whinge at people sticking Vtecs in minis- its a modern engine, with a very similar weight to the A-series, and as such doesnt upset the handling, of what is already accepted worldwide to be one of the best handling cars there is..... its not a van.

not knocking you van guys, what your doing is pretty funky, id love a ride in a c20let van one day! just trying to explain to the narrow minded why you get abit more stick than most.....

Because it spins like bollocks in the lower gears, well it does in all of them, but it starts to get better in 3rd.