My Astravan

Bucky

Just thought id post a topic about the progress off my astravan from a slow unreliable 1.7 8v diesel into a redtop powered 2.0 16v best.

So far the engine blew up on sunday somewhere near burnley so had to get towed home.

By monday night frontend was stripped down and radiator intercooler etc removed.

Tuesday night manifolds alternator driveshafts cam cover (foudn No*3 cam followers shattered and piston was sat at side of motorway. All wiring taken off gear linkages etc disconnected ready for engine to be lifted out.

Progress pics

The hole in front of the engine:

IPB Image

Latest pic everything removed and ready to lift engine out.:

IPB Image

Thats it for now folks.

Picking up the chavalier sri some old bloke had on thursday night and stripping that ready for mounts tapping and aligning etc then a cam belt kit just as a precaution.

Cheers

Bucky

ooooooooooooooooooo gutted. do you know why its blown yet?! we get alot of theses engines in at work to rebuild and modify.

ive heard of these blowing alot when put into other cars or in your case a van! something to do with the angle the engine sits at when put in, if its the wrong angle the oil struggles to get to certain places and parts overheat and blow, even ifs its a very small angle its out by. wasnt realy listening when the conversation was going on but something like that!

hope you get it sorted soon (Y)

cant afford an let at thsi time.

getting a cavalier sri with a c20xe in tommorow for £250.

would love to zLet or cLet it but its just too much for an engine and most of them are just the engine where as i need just about everything to swap over.

right guys engine explained:

copied form www.astra-sport.co.uk:

Take a Z20LET engine for example. This is a Turbo Charged 2.0 litre engine (Found in the Astra (G) Gsi and the Zafira GSI) here is how the code break's down.

The 'Z' - This is to do with emmission laws, it shows what regulation the engine meets, i.e.

Z = Euro 4

Y = Euro 3

X = Euro 2

C = Euro 1.

Next is the '20'. This relates to the capacity of the engine. i.e.

20 = 2.0

18 = 1.8 etc

Next is the 'L', this shows the compression ration of the engine, i.e.

G = 8 to 8.5:1

L = 8.5 to 9:1

N = 9 to 9.5:1

S = 9.5 to 10:1

X = 10 to 11.5:1

Y = 11.5+:1

Next is the 'E', this shows what fuel system the engine uses, i.e.

D = Diesel

E = Multi-point injection

V = Carburettor

Z = Single-point injection

The final part is not on all engines, it is just to identify an additional attribute of the engine, i.e.

B = IBC

C = Corporation ignition system

F = Vehicles for authorities

H = High output / Supercharging

I = Irmscher

J = Throttled Output

K = Komplex

L = Low output / Supercharging

P = Power adapted

R = Increased output

T = Turbo

U = Uruguay

V = Volume model

W = Venezuela

2 = Family II engine

so the engine i am using from the cav sri is a C20XE

calibra turbos + cav turbos etc are C20LET

98> astra and zafiras are Z20LET

the brand new astra VXR is a Z20LEH

basically LET and LEH are the dogs danglies. but i cant afford one.

the engine probably blew because i was sat on the limiter with hardly any oil or water (only 115mph :( ) for about 10 miles on my way to blackpool. the engien already had 150k on it so wasnt a good idea to hammer it but its a damm good excuse to put a redtop in :D:P

Bucky

As a complete car n00b, couple of questions:

Whats a redtop or is that literally just a red roof bit?

You said that you'd want to put a zlet or a clet engine in, but what would be wrong with the two inbetween? :S (kinda relating to the euro regulation thing)

Finally is that big hole in the engine sposed to be there? :P

Sorry if its annoying, I just like to learn a lot more about the mechanics behind cars without destroying my saxo

redtop is a name people use for c20let and c20xe engine, look like this:

c20xe Normally aspirated:

IPB Image

c20let turbo:

IPB Image

there is no inbetween z20let and c20let

the big hoel in the fornt of the engine is where the piston/con rod flew out of.

Ouch looks like fun there Bucky but then with the way you use and abuse the thing it was only a matter of time.

I wouldnt complain about missing the England game there wasn't much to miss

btw what you doing Saturday, wanna come round mine for a few drinks and the game, got a couple of others round but not many

Frooty

pictures update::

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Engine is coming out off cavalier by friday.

Taking it to an engineers to get engine mounts made/fitted and new cam belt with pulleys slightly altered to move out of way of timing belt.

then its a case of wiring everything up and sorting out how to get fuel to engine and back.

Looking good, dont forget what goes where!

You been posting this on A-S? Not seen anything, im sure as hell theyd love to see it all!

My mates about to LET his mk3 GSi, bought an old mk2 GTE with a C20LET in, i think hes swapping them straight over and flogging the mk2 with the XE lump in it.

And the CLET is miles better and simpler for tuning from what ive heard, very easy to squeeze power out of.

The way that van was getting battered up and down the road @ Koxx days, im suprised it lasted that long :lol: ,

Ah man, surely you need a whole new wiring loom? what about fuel tank and fuel pumps? or was the original lump injection? so many things to think about when undertaking a job like this eh?

I did a mk2 16v 1.8i conversion into a mk1 golf, that was hard enough, but a petrol injection lump from a saloon into a dieslel van?! :blink:

Fair play, Brilliant, top marks...... dont forget to keep us updated! (Y)

I guess it's a pretty good job no-one on here bought the van before it blew up then :P

Whats happened to your front right tyre? It looks f**ked, or have I missed something.. edit: Ah, it's your mudguard. Duh.

Edited by Nick Carter

Quick update pictures:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Drove cav home from work got started at 6 and had the engine sat in my garage by just before 10 :D

block is going to mark feather for engine mount and cam belt kit sorting out tommorow will be done by saturday.

Monday the lighter flywheel and clutch will be here tuesday lump is getting dropped into the van.

Wed/Thur/Fri wiring fuel lines clutch throttles etc gettign sorted. At best could be on road by friday night but best not to be too hopeful.

craig - im not too sure how much the insurance for an astravan is as im insured on a fleet policy with family bussiness.

The engine wiring loom has been taken out of the cavalier and 90% of it going into the van.

fueling will be dealt with by a new fuel pump from a mk4 petrol, fuel lines switch from one side of engine to the other with a few extra pipes and clips. Throttle cabe will be swapped over with the pedal box form the cav. original hydraulic clutch setup will be used with diesel gearbox. Piping up for radiator and heater shall be taken care of with a mixture of diesel and redtop bits.

Think thats about it for now guys

cheers for the interest