Taps

Alexxx

Basically me and my mate who i ride with can tap 45" at the most and i don't get how people can tap higher, anyone got any suggestions? I guess tap lower but that often ends in pain with the stem!

So yea any tips?

Alex...

When going for the tap, just lift up a bit earlyer than usual and just stare at the corner of the wall and your wheel will atomatically hit the wall and you should be sorted.

Dan.

Biggest load of shit i've heard of, I'm finding this problam aswell mate. I can do about 45" on vertical walls and about 50" on a slant wall, i've been practicing taps quite abit lately and i've found you've go to get your pedal strokes dialed propperly. You've got to go in with quite a bit of speed and i'm left foot forward so i'm trying to get it so i lift my wheel up with my right foot then follow it through to my left and then hit the wall, i normally hit the wall quite low and i do quite abit of speed, it's all about practice really, i've been practicing my pedal strokes on slant walls though as i find it easier to do, then i'll try it on a vertical walls to see how i feel.

Practice makes perfect.

Edited by Ben Geary

I just managed to do a 51" tap the other day... To be honest it is just a case of practice. All i can say is the run up has to be perfect (again, just a case of practice) and pleanty of hard tappage. Hit it hard and you will fly to the top. The other thing is a mental thing - don't be afraid cos then you automatically wont do the appropriate lift and tuck needed.

i've hit a 51" before but i mostly hit around 49 comfortably 51 is a stretch i like to work on my pedal strokes i only do 1 full stroke (all the way around) and a half stroke, i dunno find it easier all i can say is concentrate on hitting the wall right an jumping i usually make it when i think jump because i usually forget to do that but meh as they said practice makes best

not perfect beacuase you can never reach perfect

i've hit a 51" before but i mostly hit around 49 comfortably 51 is a stretch i like to work on my pedal strokes i only do 1 full stroke (all the way around) and a half stroke, i dunno find it easier all i can say is concentrate on hitting the wall right an jumping i usually make it when i think jump because i usually forget to do that but meh as they said practice makes best

not perfect beacuase you can never reach perfect

yeh im pretty much the same as that i do work alot on pedal strokes i liek to do half a stroke then one full one.. imo alot of it is confidence i mean you can spend all day at a wall doing the right edal strokes and hitting the wall in exactly the same place but if you are not prepared to give it your all it isnt going to happern....

Pauly

Does many people tap on Mods?

I wanna start learning them...I did quite a small one the other day...

in my limited experience...

it's definitely doable but there doesn't seem to be much point if you've got a decent run up - I can bunnyhop and backwheel higher than I can tap given enough space.

Where I've found it most useful is if you only have space for a half crank turn or if you have to turn on the way up, in those cases a hefty smack with the front wheel pops you up nicely.

in my limited experience...

it's definitely doable but there doesn't seem to be much point if you've got a decent run up - I can bunnyhop and backwheel higher than I can tap given enough space.

Where I've found it most useful is if you only have space for a half crank turn or if you have to turn on the way up, in those cases a hefty smack with the front wheel pops you up nicely.

I know luke (1handedluke on here) taps his t-pro I was talking to him about it the other day, shame he doesnt post on here, THE SWINE.

I tap since i used to ride 26.. its f**king hard on a short mod though.. especially my echo lite which is tiny. Can get no where near as high as i could on my toxsin but ah well.. im in process of learning to straight back wheel high.

I can tap my mod, but it just feels more limiting than just sending stuff to back wheel by just pedalling at stuff. If I'm doing anything over about 4ft, it's usually just straight to back wheel just 'cos it feels like I can just go for it more and not compromise, if you get me?

The shortened wheelbase and therefore the different points at which you've got to tap on mod just doesn't seem to work as well as stocks, so you're probably better off using the chuckability of mods (word up ;)) and just practising straight pedal-ups and bunnyhops, to be honest.