Ipods

plainlazy84

I read somewhere that Apple will be releasing next generation ipods in the near future- does anybody have any further information about this? My trusty Ipod mini is just about full up and I dont want to invest in a new one only to find they bring a newer model out a few weeks/ months later.

Cheers

The most likely development so far is a touch-screen iPod where the entire front of the thing is a touch screen, but Apple have been working on a type of touch-screen where you don't need to actually touch it, and they've patented them so people have questioned the new patents. There have been a few pictures too but no-one knows if they're genuine or not.

I read somewhere that Apple will be releasing next generation ipods in the near future- does anybody have any further information about this? My trusty Ipod mini is just about full up and I dont want to invest in a new one only to find they bring a newer model out a few weeks/ months later.

Cheers

I've heard they're working with Kodak to intergrate a ~5mp camera on the back. Sounds pretty rad to me.

ipod is going the way of the gameboy. they bring one out every season and people buy each one of them just to have the latest and greatest.

fact is, they could of brought out the best one straight away, and let people just buy one, but they are just in it for the money, and will milk their 'customers' for all they're worth.

More features to go wrong anyone?

Surely they work on problems affecting current range - ie battery problems, hd failure...

More new technology means more problems...

I'd go for an analogue amp over a digital encoding 5.1 any day - less problems. (Off topic)

Why not just have the past problems solved and have that be the end of it though? Making a complete frontal touch-screen just seems a bit turd, seeing as iPods tend to shit the bed in a variety of ways, so why not "KISS" it? I wouldn't really want a 5mp camera on mine either, but then again I guess I'm one of the people who prefers buying a specific tool for a job, as opposed to buying something that does everything, but nothing well.

Dave - if you like your iPod mini and you've been happy with it, why not just upgrade to one with a greater memory, if you're liking the function 'n' stuff of it already?

Why not just have the past problems solved and have that be the end of it though? Making a complete frontal touch-screen just seems a bit turd, seeing as iPods tend to shit the bed in a variety of ways, so why not "KISS" it? I wouldn't really want a 5mp camera on mine either, but then again I guess I'm one of the people who prefers buying a specific tool for a job, as opposed to buying something that does everything, but nothing well.

Dave - if you like your iPod mini and you've been happy with it, why not just upgrade to one with a greater memory, if you're liking the function 'n' stuff of it already?

What I thought, he just said. Thanks Mark :)

fact is, they could of brought out the best one straight away, and let people just buy one, but they are just in it for the money, and will milk their 'customers' for all they're worth.

Surely the whole point of a business is to make as much as money as you can... if they just brought out the best one straight away, everyone would have one, so they would no longer be making profits on new sales and eventually go bankrupt. So bringing out a new one every year makes sense from a business point of view as there will always be people wanting to waste their money on the latest technology gizmos.

Having said that, there are advances in terms of manufacturing capability, materials and all that crap so they maybe have just been able to improve it year on year? I mean there's obviously going to be an element of saving the best til last or whatever, but like with mobile phones which have been subject to continual improvement they've just maybe learnt to make them better and better?

Surely the whole point of a business is to make as much as money as you can... if they just brought out the best one straight away, everyone would have one, so they would no longer be making profits on new sales and eventually go bankrupt. So bringing out a new one every year makes sense from a business point of view as there will always be people wanting to waste their money on the latest technology gizmos.

yeh, obviously.

what i mean is, why do some people feel the need to buy the new one everytime?

just buy one and stick with it for as long as it lasts (not very long if it's an ipod)

or

buy something else then buy one when they are renowned for actully being decent, rather than just 'being cool' or 'looking pretty'.

ipod is going the way of the gameboy. they bring one out every season and people buy each one of them just to have the latest and greatest.

They cost £180 and Apple make multi million dollar profits from them- so what? They are a company thats what companies do. Name me a product that isnt over priced? Yes, they cost about £10 or whatever to make, but add onto that their whopping great big advertising budget which needs recouping and suprisingly they have to charge more. Why is this exclusive to Apple and the Ipod? Samsung, Sony and Creation 30gb mp3 players are all very similar prices.

Im not particularly pro Apple or anything, but I find it just as annoying when people constantly bash them as the wow kids that parade their ipods saying "look at me".

I like Itunes and I like my ipod but I've run out of memory. I want a new one and dont want to buy one only to find a better model comes out a few weeks later- whats so difficult about that? Why does it have to spiral into an anti Apple thread.

hmm it came across wrong, probably shouldn't of said 'milk'...

i just don't understand why some people feel the need to spend more money every time the new one comes out , give the money to charity or something.

to be honest, i don't even know why i'm typing this, i don't care, buy your ipod, listen to your music, have fun.

My trusty Ipod mini is just about full up and I dont want to invest in a new one only to find they bring a newer model out a few weeks/ months later.

Cheers

?

Because I have a 4gb model and to my knowledge thats as high as they go?

edit- oh and they dont even sell Mini's anymore. So now am i entitled to want a new ipod

Hehe, I love the self-justification thing everyone does when they want a new toy :P I'm well guilty of it myself, but it still makes me smile when I see it :P

Hehe, I love the self-justification thing everyone does when they want a new toy :P I'm well guilty of it myself, but it still makes me smile when I see it :P

not really trying to justify it, Im just trying to point out that Im not one of these wow kids which Rich seemed to be suggesting.

I got an iPod, mainly because I like them, my old MP3 was on its way out anywho but it wasnt really an upgrade.

I love my iPod now and I would happily buy another one when this one dies.

On the issue of bringing out the best version straight away, did you know that everlasting lightbulbs could have been invented if it wasnt for the market of them.

Think if you sold an everlasting lightbulb then you'd buy one for each room (maybe more in case you accidently smashed one etc) and that would be it.

Money is a wonderful thing...