Ahhh Help, I Rounded A Bolt!

Brettoll

naa peepl, screwdriver isnt always very good, and cant give enough torque sometimes..

THIS is THE way !

wheel off, carefully but very tightly put bolt in the vice, ( domed head bolts may need to edges filing a bit for better fit.

then turn your wheel as a good big lever !

the CORRECT direction ! lol

hope that helps.

iolo.

If its a dome-topped bolt then get an angle grinder or good dremmel bit and file/grind the top of the bolt off, undo all the other bolts and take the disc off, grab the remaining stump of bolt with some mole grips and undo it that way.

If its a nice hope style bolt with big tall sides then get a grinder/dremmel again and file two flat sides onto the bolt on opposite sides of the bolt, then, clamp with mole grips and your bolt will come out.

Very easy, should take about 3-10 minutes depending on how competant you are and has worked every time for me and friends.

EDIT: The two flat sides idea is essentially the same as Iolo's only without using a vice ;)

Edited by Krisboats

get a grip people this is the way :

take the wheel off, cut a line (with hacksaw) down the center of the bolt (not too far or it ill cut into ur disc. then just un screw it with a screwdriver :)

But if its a stainless steel and domed head its very easy to slip off and graunch whatevers next in line, which may cost a fair few quid.

Also on smaller Dia. bolts, with the thickness of a hacksaw blade you made shear the top and and be fook'd forever.

Undo the remaining bolts. You should be able to pivot the disc on the damaged screw. The screw should turn with the disc, so pivot it anti-clockwise (if the screw turns with the disc, it will unscrew), then back to it's original position but holding the screw so it doesn't screw back in. Repeat a few times. It worked for me when I had a super glued rounded off bolt. Hope you get what I mean though... :unsure:

Edited by Inur

Undo the remaining bolts. You should be able to pivot the disc on the damaged screw. The screw should turn with the disc, so pivot it anti-clockwise (if the screw turns with the disc, it will unscrew), then back to it's original position but holding the screw so it doesn't screw back in. Repeat a few times. It worked for me when I had a super glued rounded off bolt. Hope you get what I mean though... :unsure:

If its anything like the disc hubs i've got that wont work... the axle is in the way :S. I'm pretty sure most other hubs axles are in the way too.