Carbon Future?

skuzzbucket

Hi

there is a chance of this happening, but i cant see it going far. it will be very expensive to set up and very expensive to sell.so not many people will have them.I am unsure but I heard that carbon fibre can sort off splinter with impact. but dont take my word on this.Also correct me if I am wrong, I am intrested.

but trials is cheap! well, compared with xc, jump or dh it is.

I dont think carbon frames will be popular, once they get a nice scratch the frame is ruined (and show me a trials bike without scratches!!)

yeah slightly dent it are you stuffed. it can be strong but not that great under pressure i had a 180 quid ice hockey stick made out of reinforced carbon fibre with a bit of metal inside. it snapped after 2 month when the puck hit it.

I dont think carbon frames will be popular, once they get a nice scratch the frame is ruined (and show me a trials bike without scratches!!)

Good point.

But on the other hand, 5 years ago no-one expected that mtb's would ever be made with carbon frames and now they are made by several companies.

the amount of money to get one made would be rediculous.to make frames out of carbon is a lengthy process which aint cheap.even if its manufactured in japan.carbon is very temperimental after a knock.alot of you on the forum will know that carbon shatters when it recieves a jolly old bang.theres a road race called the rond de vlaanderen(spet wrong probably but it is dutch or german),one of the trademarks of this race are long cobbled climbs and decents.some top road racers bars ended up shattering because of it(vibration only!!).i'd hate to do a drop gap on a carbon frame or any sort of trials for that matter.even if they beefed it up to the max it would weigh the same as a decent aluminium frame but cost 10x that maybe.

craig

wont happen, well wont take off, anything can happen, wooden frames could happen as a proto, just wouldnt take off.

get urself a steel pole, and a same size carbon fibre pole(fishing pole would be an example). now swing each one against the corner of a wall. now after you picked up 800 carbon splinters off the floor, and you look at your heavily dented steel tube. go look at ur downtube, and all the dents on it.

boom.. reason carbon frames are never viable.

the amount of money to get one made would be rediculous.to make frames out of carbon is a lengthy process which aint cheap.even if its manufactured in japan.carbon is very temperimental after a knock.alot of you on the forum will know that carbon shatters when it recieves a jolly old bang.theres a road race called the rond de vlaanderen(spet wrong probably but it is dutch or german),one of the trademarks of this race are long cobbled climbs and decents.some top road racers bars ended up shattering because of it(vibration only!!).i'd hate to do a drop gap on a carbon frame or any sort of trials for that matter.even if they beefed it up to the max it would weigh the same as a decent aluminium frame but cost 10x that maybe.

craig

Okay, De ronde van Vlaanderen is correct, I live nearby that place.. And what you're saying about the snapping bikes they made for road races is correct also, they've tried to make some carbon bikes but they all seemed to be snapping, and trials is like on of the bike sports where the bike suffers the most, so I think this won't happen..

Maybe some pro's prefer the lightness of carbon, but keep in mind they can afford a new carbon frame every 2 months.. So for us lowlifes, forget it :P

Cheers,

Sam

Edited by Sammmmy

check chain reaction, quite a few different carbon mtb frames, one full carbon monocoq frame for 549.99 GBP.

surely that frame uses more carbon than a trials frame and therefore building a full carbon frame for trials would

be relatively cheap in comparison. Obviously you still get the problem with the scratches but I'm sure this would

be overcome with some sort of plastic protectors or extra thick laquer?

anywhoo I'm all for it :D

take your bets on whose going to bring out the first commercially available trials frame.

yeah slightly dent it are you stuffed. it can be strong but not that great under pressure i had a 180 quid ice hockey stick made out of reinforced carbon fibre with a bit of metal inside. it snapped after 2 month when the puck hit it.

What are you talking about?

Carbon fiber works great in compression, not so well in tension, which is why it's a good material for a Top Tube, a la kenny's prototype.

It's not the carbon fibre that's the weakness, it's the bonding method's that are used to attach the tube's to dropout's, headtube's etc. Fancy having your bike glued together?

wont happen, well wont take off, anything can happen, wooden frames could happen as a proto, just wouldnt take off.

get urself a steel pole, and a same size carbon fibre pole(fishing pole would be an example). now swing each one against the corner of a wall. now after you picked up 800 carbon splinters off the floor, and you look at your heavily dented steel tube. go look at ur downtube, and all the dents on it.

boom.. reason carbon frames are never viable.

Exactly, one fair sized hit on the down tube and you've written off your frame. Carbon seat-stays and tup-tube would be cool, but not a full carbon frame, trials frames just get bashed about too much.

Also its to do with how it fails, I mean look at jump bikers, alot of them prefer steel frames because when they go they go gradualy and there are easy signs before compleat failure, so theres less chance of langing a jump and your bike snapping in two and hurting you. Now think about carbon, even less warning signs than aluminium, and even more dangrous sharp fragments when it does fail. Steel all the way for me, for jump and trials. Carbon for XC and Aluminum for 4X racing, DH or any more extream full susser.

Ti frames may take off more, but I cant see the price coming down much, as its the material that costs more than it is the welding ect.

It's not the carbon fibre that's the weakness, it's the bonding method's that are used to attach the tube's to dropout's, headtube's etc. Fancy having your bike glued together?

Nowt wrong with glue, lotus elise's are glued together, not welded. I trust a good glue as much as i do a weld, especially in a carbon reinforced compostie, due to the layering.

I guess stuff like a CF Bash wouldnt be too bad, or bars (which have already been made) but steel for me thanks :wink2:

Sorry, carbon bash?! If you intend on using it more than 3 times, then theres no point at all.

Carbon fibre isn't amazingly strong though, its main advantage is being very rigid, using it on frames would mean lots of layers to get the strength, increasing the weight.

Well, thats what I was told is true for track bikes anyway, when I asked how come they weighed so much.

Feel free to prove me wrong though.

Alun