Anyone Ever Think About

spunkey_monkey_boy

i like this thread.

im probably one of the ones that does burn alot of fuel driving too and from places to ride my bike alot. but if i didnt do this i would be quite bored, but i do see that i could do alot more to help the situation. it is pretty appauling that if we are only doing 2% damage, i feel its the countries such as america and russia which are two of the largest countries in the world really do need to look in and read this thread, someone e-mail it to their countries MP's (Y)

im very suprised it hasnt had a MAHOOSIVE arguement though :S nice top tom (Y):) good to read.

Waynio.....................

Tom: when you going to stop hibernating and catch up with us yorkshire lot again? hows tricks?

Tom: when you going to stop hibernating and catch up with us yorkshire lot again? hows tricks?

hey boyo, my wonderful girlfriend has bought me a new bike for christmas so i'll be back ont bike soon :D and when i do i'll try n find a few days n get the train oop with a tent n come play. your always welcome down in liverpool though boyo, just make sure you fill the car or come on the train (Y)

This thread isn't really trials replated is it... :huh:

why not? how many people even realise that anodising is so bad for the environment, all people think about is how bling their bike looks.

how many people fill their vans/cars up with bio diesel before driving to comps/rides?

environmental damage comes from every single one of us and its worth remembering that by riding trials we are adding to it. could some of that damage be got rid of without effecting our enjoyment of the sport?

i can see your point and you are most probably correct, however you could say this about nearly ever sport.. Kind of like saying stop all motor racing because of the amount of fuel consumed.. You point all be it a gd one and a correct one is very blarze and not really worth discussion.. no-one will respond to this by changing there mind about riding or buying trials specific componants.

Edited by mods

bit anal? by taking a shit your adding to environmental damage,you gonna stop that?

shut up

you have two options:

- give up now and accept your unlikely to make a sensible comment in the rest of your pitiful life

- or become slightly more educated and don't come out with such bollocks.

(sorry to sound harsh x)

mmm good argument :ermm: you kinda helped to prove my point, in that taking a shit isn't something your going to stop doing, I seriously doubt anyone will stop buying 'bling' component's for their bike in a conscious effort to save the environment, there are just so many more effective way's of 'doing your bit' rather than fuss over wether or not your brake mount's are anodized.

EDIT: I guess I havn't ever thought about it,and now that I have I shouldn't have bothered.

Edited by jake1516

mmm good argument :ermm: you kinda helped to prove my point, in that taking a shit isn't something your going to stop doing, I seriously doubt anyone will stop buying 'bling' component's for their bike in a conscious effort to save the environment, there are just so many more effective way's of 'doing your bit' rather than fuss over wether or not your brake mount's are anodized.

please now stop talking about a subject you obviously have neither knowledge nor insight into. go read some stuff on climate change and try and get your head to understand the principles of it and how small changes are the way to make a big difference.

incase your too ignorant and lazy to educate yourself - taking a shit is a natural process therefor it is environmentally damaging in a sustainable way therefor meaning it is not a major issue within the realms of climate change. anodising however is a problem because it is a total un sustainable environmentally destructive process that is 100% unneccesary and could quite easily be stopped imediately without any major loss of quality of living however a drop in production or a total stop will only come in one of three ways:

1 - the consumers (you) stop buying the products and the demand decreases or stops and production stops

2 - governments place stricter laws in place on chemical usage and production stops or cleans up

3 - climate change forces a major shift in chemicals production therefor cancelling out the ability to annodise products

can you effect either of the last two? no. so if you were to try and have any influence on the production and therefor a more possitive impact on the environment what can you do? DON'T BUY THE ANODISED KIT!

hopefully that will help explain a little something for you, now please please shut up talking crap!

and in response to your EDIT: re-flooding, i promise to never knowingly do first aid on you while waiting for the ambulance etc, you are one of the vast numbers of people in modern society who deserve every last thing climate change is going to give to you, shame your kids are going to take a fair bit of shit for you too...

Edited by spunkey_monkey_boy

I think your point about 'buy painted, not anodized' point may well be true in that painting is better for the environment, but trials parts are tiny compared to the industrial uses for anodizing.

If all trials parts were painted and not anodized, then we checked the readings for global change, I'm pretty sure the results would be so small they would not show up.

I think this would be interesting if trials was as big as football, then the numbers involved would be much larger.

On a person to person basis, its probably a pretty damaging sport compared to other sports. However, its so small it barely makes a difference.

There must be alot of old, good quality metal floating around from ex-frames that would be good to recycle.

On a side note, are trains as environmentally friendly as cars? Consider the amount of fuel needed to be burnt to produce the electricity they need? Who knows.

EDIT: Spunkey_money_boy, have you been reading a Howies catalogue by any chance?

Edited by N.Wood

I don't buy anodized shite,and I take into consideration the environment gnerally, I recycle, and have actually thought of getting a job in lean manufacturing,helping to cut down on waste and such.

I just don't think bike trials is that big an effect in the grand scheme of things,which is what your first post asked.

I do agree something needs to be done, but while the USA and china keep contributing what they do,our effort's are in vain as far as I can see.

I'm in work and havn't time to continue really...

and your right,I don't know everything about the environment, nor do i want to, i'd study geography or something if I did.

Sorry I didn't realise you were only after opinions of those who agreed with you......

Edited by jake1516

I think the principles that your trying to get across are good, but it's never going to work, the majority of people aren't bothered, and if they were i'd imagine the inconvenience of not using a car to get to a competition... usually in the middle of nowhere, is enough to keep them driving there.

If i want to go riding somewhere, i get the train or ride there. My bike has all of one anodised component on it. And we have a garden, paper/cans, glass and normal black dustbin.

I don't care about all this healthy living stuff the government try and push on us, and seemingly you as well with the "agree with me or burn in hell forever" mentality thats coming across in your posts. I think that theres so much more that can be done on a large scale it makes the small scale stuff like catching a bus seem irrelevant. If the government was that bothered we wouldn't be opening up new nuclear power plants and we'd stop supplying fossil fuels... fact is they make too much money from it for it to be something they would consider doing and when i see the giant plumes of smoke coming out of refinaries and filling the sky with a dark hazy cloud it makes any attempts i think of seem futile. I can't imagine travelling by car to a competition would pollute the atmosphere as much in a whole year as one of these single refinaries can manage in hours/days.

That said i'll continue to try not to be such a large waster of enery/fuel but until something is done about the large scale industrial uses my input is still going to be less than helpful in any way shape or form.

The problem Tom is that you have to consider that no one is going to go out of their way to try and be greener when it does seem to be very much a pointless exersize when compared to the effect that other rapidly developing nations (and one developed nation, any guesses...) are having. You can consider that as being ignorant and selfish but personally i think its more realistic than anything else. I'm pretty sure that everyone on this forum does there bit in some way, be it putting their rubbish in a bin, household recycling, leaving the car at home etc. We're not going out and deliberatly destroying the planet.

The example of driving to comps etc is a good example of that. How are people supposed to get to the middle of the Yorkshire dales without using their car, to try and make that journey for me would involve trains, buses and probably a fair bit of walking. By the time i got there i'd be knackered.

The point of how small the trials community actually is in comparison to most other sports is also a very good one.

Lastly, I think most of the parts on my bike are anodised or have travelled from Taiwan yet i wanted those parts, i don't want a steel frame or silver parts on my bike. You've got to also consider that people are making a living from selling these parts, surely thats an important consideration too?

I hope that makes some sense but i've been watching the Rugby while typing so i was a wee bit distracted :P

Pete

I think the principles that your trying to get across are good, but it's never going to work, the majority of people aren't bothered, and if they were i'd imagine the inconvenience of not using a car to get to a competition... usually in the middle of nowhere, is enough to keep them driving there.

If i want to go riding somewhere, i get the train or ride there. My bike has all of one anodised component on it. And we have a garden, paper/cans, glass and normal black dustbin.

I don't care about all this healthy living stuff the government try and push on us, and seemingly you as well with the "agree with me or burn in hell forever" mentality thats coming across in your posts. I think that theres so much more that can be done on a large scale it makes the small scale stuff like catching a bus seem irrelevant. If the government was that bothered we wouldn't be opening up new nuclear power plants and we'd stop supplying fossil fuels... fact is they make too much money from it for it to be something they would consider doing and when i see the giant plumes of smoke coming out of refinaries and filling the sky with a dark hazy cloud it makes any attempts i think of seem futile. I can't imagine travelling by car to a competition would pollute the atmosphere as much in a whole year as one of these single refinaries can manage in hours/days.

That said i'll continue to try not to be such a large waster of enery/fuel but until something is done about the large scale industrial uses my input is still going to be less than helpful in any way shape or form.

Nuclear power plants are being used to cut down on emissions (waste excepted, they're very clean, and even that doesn't contribute to global warming) and give us a contingency for when fossil supplies run out or become prohibitively expensive (this will happen in our lifetimes). It's not just about environmental issues either (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6096084.stm) this stuff seriously affects global economy and will continue to have huge implications for humankind. Oil companies are the biggest barrier, while they can still make money from oil they're quite happy to shirk their responsibility to plan for the future, which is f**king irresponsible, considering this affects the entirety of humantity and our interests are being sacrificed for those of oil workers and barons.

Bleh

Joe x

Theres a big wind farm in the sea off barrow, they are supposed to be getting put up all over the place.

Nuclear is good in the sense that it can make lots of energy out of not a lot of material, but the downside with them is the 15 years or so it takes for the nuclear waste to degrade (cant remember the word). Also, if a nuclear plant happens to go into meltdown and the reactors leak, then theres another Chernobyl, uninhabital land for hundreds of years. may not have anything to do with the topic, but its relevant to the nuclear stuff thats been posted in here.

Link to the Chirnobyl incident for anyone that's interested CLICK

My parents recycle everything (paper, bottles, plastic, metal, glass etc)

The UK are trying to cut down on emmisions to try and set an example to the rest of the world, but I dont think it will be enough to be honest.

In 50 years, its predicted that alot of the north west of britain will be submerged in water, not a nice thought really :(

Nuclear power stations are on of the safest places on earth, they're are so many control measures in place to prevent accident and to mimimize the impact IF something did go wrong.

However, yes, they're still very dangerous and theres something scary about a hazard you can see, taste, hear or smell.

It's an interesting topic, as a lot of people arn't aware of the environmental impact of things like the production of aluminium and so on. I was reading a passage on the production of carbon fibre, and how some of the structural carbon (not bling trim pieces, but stuff used in frames and fork legs) is produced using highly toxic chemicals, won't decompose in any useful timeframe, and is pretty damaging.

That said... Compared to a motorcycle trials rider, bikes are pretty good. We don't directly burn any fuels, we don't use engine oils and the worst degreasers which need special disposal methods, and use a lot less materials in bike construction and bits than a motorcycle. In turn that means less money spent in extra fuel when it's being transported. Also trials riders can indulge in street riding which means zero emissions on that ride...

Generally when it comes to cycling, I'm pretty happy environmentally. The cycling industry as a whole is a small percentage of global metal production/finishing/shipping costs, trials a smaller even chunk of that.

Nuclear power plants are being used to cut down on emissions (waste excepted, they're very clean, and even that doesn't contribute to global warming) and give us a contingency for when fossil supplies run out or become prohibitively expensive (this will happen in our lifetimes). It's not just about environmental issues either (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6096084.stm) this stuff seriously affects global economy and will continue to have huge implications for humankind. Oil companies are the biggest barrier, while they can still make money from oil they're quite happy to shirk their responsibility to plan for the future, which is f**king irresponsible, considering this affects the entirety of humantity and our interests are being sacrificed for those of oil workers and barons.

Bleh

Joe x

Nuclear stations shouldn't be used, even with all the security measures in place there are ways it could all go wrong, take chernobyl for example. They thought it was safe and it clearly wasn't, besides the waste from it is not somethign we should be putting into the planet. Wind turbines in the sea and water turbines on rivers and ocean slipways would be much cleaner, safer and generally better for the environment. Geothermal energy, again, something that can be used almost anywhere should you dig deep enough and yet nobody does... pity that.

Its not just the oil companies though, its the people that let them sell it to us in the first place because they make so much on the sales via taxes.

Chernobyl was down to turbine engineers without a blind clue running the reactor. As it stands, nuclear is still the cleanest and lowest impact method of making 'leccy. Saying we should find better ways to generate is the wrong way to look at it, we should be using and wasting less energy in the first place.

As peopla have said, Trials as a whole is tiny compared to huge industries. I personally haven't got a car, and use the train loads(but this is cause im lazy and haven't learnt how to drive yet). I make an effort not to recycle paper though, and this is due to recycling paper being more harmful then not recycling it.

The extra cost and emmissions put our by recycling it is more then making new paper... "but what about the trees".... thats why we have paper farms, we plant more trees to make paper, like we plant more potatoes to make more french fries. If you want to help with this tree propblem we dont really have(considering we have now roughly 30% more trees around the world), stop buying hardwood furniture, and recycle all the hardwood you have!

Im also feeling kinda the same about plastic, untill if become a profitable business(like recycling alu) just seems fairly pointless, as its not making a huge difference and the plastic we get out if it is absolutlely crap quality.

And about the emmissions, the people you have to go to are, the people like General motors, who are pumping out the 7 or 8 litre cars americans are plodding around in all day, reduce their emmisions by the same 20% as ours and their will be a huge difference. I agree we can only lead by example, but they are americans!