Bikes On Trains For Free

26inch

wouldn't be bothered about paying for bikes on trains (just so long as prams got the same deal). what pisses me off is a 2 bike limit on my local line :angry: (and theres three of us who usually get the same train on saturday's f**king stupid!) signed anyway (Y)

Bikes are free on all the First South West trains, and they're not very strict on the limit aswell, which is cool. Never been refused taking my bike on one.

The Virgin trains were the oposite last time I checked though, they wouldn't let them on atall.

Anyway, I've signed it.

shame most riders are sub17 (10months to go for me :rolleyes: ) bring on the big white van :P:D

yeah i appreciate that dude, i still use the train to go some places and i'd use it more if it was a lil cheaper and there was more room for bikes etc

dont want to start a debate about it, but our public transport system although better than most eastern block countries its s*&t compared to most of europe's.

yeah i appreciate that dude, i still use the train to go some places and i'd use it more if it was a lil cheaper and there was more room for bikes etc

dont want to start a debate about it, but our public transport system although better than most eastern block countries its s*&t compared to most of europe's.

He has a point, for serious amounts of people to start using public transport it needs to atleast no be much more expencive then the petrol you'd otherwise use. Rather than the current £7.50ish to get to exeter on a trian for me, compared to about £3/4 petrol if I get a lift.

Anyway, lets not debate, lets get bikes on trains!

Bikes are free on all the First South West trains, and they're not very strict on the limit aswell, which is cool. Never been refused taking my bike on one.

The Virgin trains were the oposite last time I checked though, they wouldn't let them on atall.

Anyway, I've signed it.

I actually found virgin to be one of the best with two large sections at the front and back which fit 5-6 bikes each. Southwest trains are also really good and the newer ones a f**king good theres loads and loads of space to put it by the doors. First great western have been the worst, with no space at all for bikes :(

I've also signed it though.

I actually found virgin to be one of the best with two large sections at the front and back which fit 5-6 bikes each. Southwest trains are also really good and the newer ones a f**king good theres loads and loads of space to put it by the doors. First great western have been the worst, with no space at all for bikes :(

I've also signed it though.

Haha, Oh right, I probably got it the wrong way around or something. I know the first great westerns are shite for room, but they don't normally mind you taking it on, its just bloody un-comfy.

Right most TOC's do free bike travel

One Metro: free just walk onto the train and put it by the door

One Mainline: same as above

One Anglia: special bike compartment on the country end of the train (the one thats not the loco!)

Virgin: Pendo's and voyagers phone up and book a space (free) and its at either end of the train a big compartment

Virgin: Older trains: same as one anglia

First Great Western: Bike compartment at country end (the one pointing towards say bristol not pointing towards london)

South West Trains: Bike compartment in the guards bit

southern: bit by the toilets has room for 3 bikes

Arriva trains wales: Bike compartment for around 3 bikes on the birmingham-aberystwyth-pwelli (sp)

well ive just covered alot of england and all of those are free! ill sign it anyway lol

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd bring this back from the dead with the responce to the petition:

The responsibility for the carriage of bikes on trains rests with individual train operators as is the decision to charge for the carriage of bikes. The Department for Transport has long recognised the value of bike and rail journeys and we will continue to encourage all Train Operating Companies (TOCs) to provide facilities which will help facilitate more bike and rail journeys.

We will also continue to encourage TOCs to carry bikes on trains whenever possible in line with the Cycling Policy document first published by the former Strategic Rail Authority in 2004 and recently adopted by this Department. The policy advises TOCs to facilitate the carriage of cycles on off-peak services and promote the carriage of folding cycles at all times. However, during the peak where capacity is under pressure, there may be circumstances in which it is in the interests of the majority of passengers not to permit non-folding cycles on board.

The franchise replacement process also provides an opportunity to improve cycle facilities at stations, and to address the requirements of cyclists who wish to use trains. Bidders for the South Western franchise were asked to consider cycle-rail integration matters in their bid submissions. The three current franchises that are out to tender, i.e. East Midlands, West Midlands and New Cross Country, have a similar requirement. The InterCity East Coast franchise replacement specification will also require bidders to consider bike-rail integration and facilities at stations.

Whilst there will always be situations where bikes cannot be accommodated during peak travel, we believe that the TOCs now have a better understanding of the benefits of providing for cyclists which we will continue to promote.

We have asked Cycling England, our advisory group on cycling, to look into how we might better encourage bike and rail journeys. They have accepted this remit and are now looking to see where progress can best be made to further improve bike and rail integration.