Any Ideas?

BobbyD

as some of you know i got my bike built up last week, so weekend past i was keen to get out on it. so friday i was out myself for around an hour then i got a burst tube, great...

stuck a new tube in and went out at night with a mate, out for an hour burst that tube also..

so saturday i got out again, again, i put a new tube in and out for 15 mins and burst that one. See Video :-

so i replaced that with a new one, burst it again. replaced with another and burst that so now im starting to get annoyed...

its snake bites i keep getting and not in the same place every time. i have a try all rim with a maxxis 2.35 tyre, the same set up i used before i changed frames, only difference is its a new rim im using. i had 2 brand ew 2.35 maxxis tyres and changed them over thinking something might be poking through the tyre but thats made no difference, the rim also has proper rim tape in covering all the holes and spoke holes also and theres nothing inside the rim/tyre to puncture the tube so im lost :(

im far from hard on my bike, and it seems its not taking much to puncture. i was doing a gap to front wheel, where the front wheel was taking a hard time (a 7ft gap), then flicking to back wheel and i managed to puncture doing that and it was far from being rough. any have any suggestions?

thought id mention im using halfords own tubes 2.35 - 2.50 (i think), the same setup as before and was never puncturing.

just as usual Adam.

with one side of the tyre on the rim i put the tube inside the tyre and onto the rim then i start putting the other side of the tyre onto the rim as far as i can with my hands then i use a screw drive watching i dont nip the tube. after that i stick it on the bike and pump it up to abt 18psi.

the first couple times its happened ive thought i maybe nipped it with the screwdriver (ive never done that before) but surely not every tube ive fitted? im quite keen to take a flap disc around the edge of the rim to really smooth it off incase theres a sharp edge of some sorts

as u may have noticed Adam ive wrecked my hope bolts taking my wheel on and off so many times :lol:

The adamant done this too <_<.

You normally run quite a low tyre - maybe bit more air , actually i know i cant talk :P

P.s - putting on weight Darren :D;)

and your grider idea sounds like a plan have you checked the tube dosn't like roll over itself when u out it in like it gets a wee kink in it?

just an idea

Edited by sidehop

Alrite mate, try using one of the maxxis downhill tubes and a dual ply tyre, you will never pinch then (Y)

I had the same problem when i ran a single ply tyre with a wilkos tube (i know its a different set up to yours).

Edited by JoNnY__Mc

more flick darren (Y) are all the puncture's on roughly the same area of the tube, maybe there is something really tiny causing a puncture, i got one from grind dust not so long ago!

Try different pressures lower ones aswell it may be to much for your flicky style (Y) or do the kerb test.

perhaps the tyre needs to bed in or something might be worth running one of those maxxis tubes for a while then changing back?

Edited by Gavyn L

hi m8 i think the problem is the preasure is being concentrated more with having a wider rim therefore making it eaisier to rim out and get a puncture i would sya your best bet is to get a wider tyre like a 2.5 seeing as your a bit of a weight freak you could try a sinlge ply minnion there mint even though i use a duel ply version btw for anyone wanting to rip me i dont no lots of scientific knolege about preasure and stuff because im only 15 and dont have a degree lol .

If you never want a snakebite again...I recommend going on the heavy side of thing's...Run slighter higher psi,Get a maxxis dh tube and slice your old tube through the middle of it and put it over the dh tube.....Also get a dual ply tyre....If you do all of this,Then you deffo wont be having a punture in a long time. (Y)

if your tyres are brand new it shouldnt be them. when i start puncturing regularly i change the tyre, as after a few months of use the sidewalls get thin. but i wouldnt be blaming the rim, iv had LESS punctures in the last 3 years altogether than i had in my 1st year.

is the maxxis tyre Single or dual ply? maybe if you have single on the front and dual on the back and you got them mixed up? (just an idea) if not try another tyre, like a Try-All or something?

Waynio.........................

I was recently informed of a product called Stan's no tubes. Looks like awesome stuff. Loads of top class XC riders have recently started using this so presumably the weight can't be too bad.

Check out the video on notubes.com

The guy rides over nails & sticks screwdrivers through the sidewalls of his tyres & they stay inflated. Its nothing like that crap slime stuff.

I'm definately going to give it a try.

i THINK its single ply, not 100% sure though. i used to run try all rim`s with a 2.50 dual ply on the rear with no problems, then i went to a 2.35 with a try all before i changed frames and had no problems either :ermm:

new tyre should be here today so (2.50 dual ply) im hoping that solves my problems, rounded off my hope bolts taking my wheel on and off so many times :(

I had exactly the same thing happening for ages

do this before spending any more money

make sure tyre has no pokey bits in

fill tyre with a layer of talc

put new tube in

go riding

if that doesn't work then start spending money

edit:

oh right, you spent the money already - I didnt read it properly.

fil the tyre with talc anyway

Edited by poopipe