Professional?

TheChai

Right, I have been riding for nearly 6 years now.. a long time.. but days when i started riding are still clear in my mind!

anyway! i am curious! and abit tired and bored, When would a rider consider oneself professional? Obviously being a street rider i get to met alot of interested people who ask me about what i do etc.. and when i tell them i am sponsored by etc etc, they say so ur professional then, but i am like.. well not really.. :S

Its so easy to get sponsored these days i dont think being sponsored is good enough to be professional, what would you say you would have to have done or be invovled in before u consider yourself a professional trials rider? and actually feel like you have accomplished something

Opinions please

Compare it to different sports where all the "action" is down to one person, say Golf. You need lots of publicity, public attention, investors, sponsors, media coverage, etc. which trials will never get. The only way you can earn money on this sport is to set up a business. I've earned about 1,40 pounds on riding so far, a bit more on selling parts.

Edit: It's all down to popularity, I think it's in Korea where one of their national sports is a computer game. People earn money and fame by sitting in front of a computer killing goblins...

Edited by Inur

so why arent there people like htat in the uk? i know some riders get paid. mainly deng riders.. but people dont know this.. and the riders dont do enogh either.. its not good enough to make videos for trials... u have to do something more and i am not tlaking competitions either..

i have a job in a club.. and on thursday we had a deal that i would ride the night club, the actual dance floor.. so now thats in play and was well appreciated..

in the next couple of weeks i hope to get a professional photographer down to get some pics of us in the club, and then these would go on to leaflets and hand outs and on the clubs windows..:)

and it wont be regular but liek every once a month or so.. increase publicity for the sport and also for the club :)

trials will get big one day.. there just arent enough peopel doing it becos bikes are too expenisve

To be honest I hope it doesn't get big, and kinda doubt it ever will. Look at motorcycle trials. It's been going for a lot longer than biketrials and is still a seriously minority sport. One thing that makes a sport explode is that it's good for spectators to watch... Trials really isn't that spectator friendly. Anyone who doesn't ride has no idea how difficult it is and so tend to be fairly unimpressed by what we do. Motocross is more likely to draw a crowd because of the huge airs and speed involved but I'd still call it a minority sport.

Do you really want trials to be a mainstream sport like football?!!

Dave

so why arent there people like htat in the uk? i know some riders get paid. mainly deng riders.. but people dont know this.. and the riders dont do enogh either.. its not good enough to make videos for trials... u have to do something more and i am not tlaking competitions either..

i have a job in a club.. and on thursday we had a deal that i would ride the night club, the actual dance floor.. so now thats in play and was well appreciated..

in the next couple of weeks i hope to get a professional photographer down to get some pics of us in the club, and then these would go on to leaflets and hand outs and on the clubs windows..:)

and it wont be regular but liek every once a month or so.. increase publicity for the sport and also for the club :)

I have already rode in clubs in Leeds and to be honest there is only a limited amount of things you can do. I even had a car in play.

I got paid quite a bit but once people have seen it their not too bothered about seeing it again.

I also work for my local council. They run a company called 'street sports' i basically ride my bike on stupid ramps and obsticals

infront of kids and also give them learning tips. This job gives me regular income.

Maybe get in touch with your councils and see if their running a similar scheme.

Lewis

This is the dictionary definition I've got:

Professional

(of a person) engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime

So you can make your own mind up whether Vince (or anyone else) is a 'pro'.

Personally i would consider someone like martin ashton or ryan leech as a pro. They both get free bikes (martin with his own company) and both get paid to travel around doing demo's all over the place. Both have also won a load of titles and prizes, wasn't martin world champion for a couple of years? Either way, for me, those riders are pro... and everyone else who just gets the odd free part and stick tarty/selectbikes advertising at the beginning of a video aren't remotely pro.... good riders maybe, but nowhere near the same leagues as real pro's.

well ok bike trials may not have any but you can say that motorbike trials you could live on being sponsored couldnt you like dougie lampkin maybe

Dougie Get a batch of around 10 bikes to sell to the public, for his pay. Then if he wins compations, he gets prize money for them. Just as the top class of the world biketrial championship does.

I think there will be many biketrial 'pros'. I don't think anyone will be able to make a living out of it.

Matt Rushton

I'd say a pro is someone who makes a living out of his sport. So the only comp riders I'd consider being pros are Kenny, Vincent, Canas, Comas, Ot Pi and Ros. Beside riding comps and shows, they're Koxx/Monty/Maxxis distributors/dealers.

Kenny does lots of promo shows for Red Bull, worldwide (such as Canas and Ot Pi). And Red Bull pays him for doing that. Beside that, he gets a monthly salary from his Jacques & Topsport Vlaanderen cyling team. Seeing that, I'd say he's the most professional trials rider at the moment.

As for Vinco and Caisso - they are multiple trials world champions and especially Vinco does lots of shows (e.g at the Tour de France). Once you've made yourself a name, like both of them, you can make a good living out of your sport, just by doing shows and promotion for the sponsors. And believe me, they get a lot more than just a few 100 quid for their shows!

Edited by Chris

A pro rider is someone who gets paid to ride their bike for a company. Does vincent even do that? :S

Trials is too small to have (dictionary definition) pro riders. But pro riders can also mean someone who is just REALLY good, and to me thats everyone from tunni upwards :)

EDIT: Thats not saying neil's crap before anyone says....

Edited by PaRtZ