Save Some Kids

Phil H

I was thinking......

New trials bikes ordered from anywhere come with smooth rims, which allthough with HS33 work with ok can get abit slippy.

Surely if they came with a light grind alot of tailbones would be saved!

When I first got a trials bike I didn't even know what a grind was and was quite content running my 33's on a smooth rim but looking back it was abit risky and a couple of times I was ruined. Also, if someone like Tarty started offering new bikes with the option of a grind (free or small charge) this would give them a massive leg up againt the opposition selling trials bikes for similar prices.

Criticisms:

- I am aware most people when getting into trials on their first bike wouldn't be doing anything extreme but I still think it would be useful.

- I am not saying all bikes should come with this as some people like a setup with a smooth rim.

Just a thought, might be stupid. Your views?

Phil

Tarty offers a rim grind service already, but its a bit risky selling bikes with them (unless requested), parents will be pissed off cos they don't understand, i know my dad was pissed off with me when he caught me grinding my bmx rims when i was about 8, thats before i knew about trials and just wanted my calliper brakes to work better :P

even offering bikes with grinds wont save tailbones, if a kid cant set his brake up for shit in the first place, its not gonna stop him, they need educating, perhaps a maintenance leaflet would be more useful

I think all trials bike's should come with grinded rims as standard as personaly since having a grinded rim i can't stand a set-up with smooth rims, on my first bike (onza t-pro) i was also using a smooth rim and standard magura pads for over a year :o & also didn't realy know much about grided rims ect,

I think it would give alot of newbies more confidence at using 1 finger on the brakes rather than two like i did :lol: and only 2 week's ago broke the habit.

Edited by powerz

Tarty offers a rim grind service already, but its a bit risky selling bikes with them (unless requested), parents will be pissed off cos they don't understand, i know my dad was pissed off with me when he caught me grinding my bmx rims when i was about 8, thats before i knew about trials and just wanted my calliper brakes to work better :P

even offering bikes with grinds wont save tailbones, if a kid cant set his brake up for shit in the first place, its not gonna stop him, they need educating, perhaps a maintenance leaflet would be more useful

haha very good point. Didn't consider that one.

Still think its a good idea:P

As already said, tarty offer rim grinds. However, they don't do any of the echo rims (surely the most commonly bought).

I would have to disagree. I am talking about bikes for beginners and im preety sure none of them come with echo rims. I'm talking about £500 and downwards.

Thanks for contributing.

Phil

surely another sensible thing would be for bike manufacturers to spec their bikes with pads other than magura blacks? something thats designed to work with a smooth rim?

Yeh completely agree!

Hope tarty bikes will have some input on this discussion.....

Phil

this is really kind of stupid! why would anyone sell trials bikes with a grind on as standard?: Some people prefer to run no grind and run softer compound pads, if they wanted to run rear disk it would look wank, its a modification... like all maggies are sold with their blood in.... yet most trials riders run water in theirs....

this is really kind of stupid! why would anyone sell trials bikes with a grind on as standard?: Some people prefer to run no grind and run softer compound pads, if they wanted to run rear disk it would look wank, its a modification... like all maggies are sold with their blood in.... yet most trials riders run water in theirs....

A beginner doesn't know what a soft compund pad is I presume, I certainly didn't.

I agree if they ran a disk would look gash BUT most cheap bikes don't come with a rear disk hub anyway.

I seriously doubt more riders run water in theirs! (preety confident)

Not being bitchy, just what I think (Y)

Phil

Hey just been reading your points about the echo rims and about grinding them........

well me and my dad grinded myne 2days ago and there wasnt much mess at all in our oppinion :blink:

Not so much the mess, but the anodizing on the '07s gives off a harsh dust that can cause serious problems, such as Alzheimer's

Not so much the mess, but the anodizing on the '07s gives off a harsh dust that can cause serious problems, such as Alzheimer's

If you developed Alzheimer's in the last six months from some new rim, I'd go and see a doctor. If not, you probably shouldn't say things like that.

I've developed Alzheimer's, but I can't remember grinding my rim..............................................................................

Seriously if there are health hazards associated with grinding some rims then we should know about it.

Facts please,

Ben.

if you look at what tarty say they say that aluminium dust causes the desease meaning almost most rims will have an affect, if i am not mistaken thats why the dust mask has been invented, to stop harmfully dust's and crap getting into our lungs when we are cutting mdf gring metals etc

sorry if i am wrong :unsure:

excess aluminium in the body has been linked through research to alzheimers disease

which is why you shouldn't drink 15 cups of tea a day! cos tea contains a high level of aluminium

oh yeah and this is the worst idea i've ever heard. do you really think that manufacturers are going to get every bike they receive, take the wheels/tyres/tubes off, grind the rims, clean it up then put it all back together?! :blink:

Edited by the boon

excess aluminium in the body has been linked through research to alzheimers disease

which is why you shouldn't drink 15 cups of tea a day! cos tea contains a high level of aluminium

oh yeah and this is the worst idea i've ever heard. do you really think that manufacturers are going to get every bike they receive, take the wheels/tyres/tubes off, grind the rims, clean it up then put it all back together?! :blink:

A manufacturer doesnt recieve a bike fully made. They 'manufacture' them, so as I see it, it would just be another step in the chain of producing the bike.

If however your talking about someone like Tarty doing it I agree would be hassle but would be an advantage over competitors in my opinion, never the less.

Phil