Which V?

Matt24.

I have been out of riding for a while.

I am just getting back into it and back in the day I use to ride on v's and maggies but use to love the simplicity of vee's. I am looking at getting a set as my old avid arch rivals have seen better day. I was thinking of just an all round xtr set up with plazmatic pads.

What are your guys thoughts on a set up as being away for a while may have led me to miss any new products etc?

Cheers Matt

Xtrs aren't all that, the parrallel push system is more hassle than its worth and doesn't work nearly as well as a normal arm, same goes for the arch rivals you had before, personally i think they were overhyped. Some avid sd7s/shimano deore arms would be a better bet on a budget, avid ultimate arms if you can afford them

pads wise, plaz crvs/spanish flies are great, as long as its not wet, i run coust material in heatsink v backings and thats freaking awesome, you can run any magura pad material in a heatsink backing which is good, opens up the pad choice :)

deore arms work really well if your on a cheap budget, altho i think anything that isn't parallel push should be fine! sd7 levers are great imo, but it depends on the kind of feel you like! cables i'm using the odessey linear slicks at the mo! pad wise i think you can use almost any pads now most places have a massive selection and the onza v-dapters seem to work well on the front for me not sure about the back though!!

hope thats a little helpful!!

Not many new v breaks have been created recently but atm avids are a good choice but people also use shimano deores and xtrs .

the best avid available at this moment in time is the avid ultimate arms the ultra lightweight and are very stiff.

avid ultimate arms

If thats abit out of your price range they do some realy stiff ones that are cheap to i used avid digit 3s wich are only £10 and there incredibly good also they make a titanium version of the sinlge digit 7 called the single digit ti there £30 each but come with full ti arms and mounting aquipment.

for levers i sugest avid speed dail or avid ultimate lever , or u could use a xtr lever wich are very stiff.

as for cables either clark cable or linier slick cable.

and for pads you could use plazmatics like you said or purchase some onza v adaptors and use any pad you wanted.

also check out heatsink link for cnc backings for v breaks and cnc adaptors.

good luck .

Yeah i agree with the parralell push crap on the brakes as the avids were such a pain, they ke[t falling apart lol. I realised after a while they weren't all they were cracked up to be as aslong as you know how to setup a v properly you don't need the parralell stuff. I like the feel of the xtr levers but may look at some avid arms then. Cheers guys?

Who out of the people on here ride a rear v?

Not many new v breaks have been created recently but atm avids are a good choice but people also use shimano deores and xtrs .

the best avid available at this moment in time is the avid ultimate arms the ultra lightweight and are very stiff.

avid ultimate arms

If thats abit out of your price range they do some realy stiff ones that are cheap to i used avid digit 3s wich are only £10 and there incredibly good also they make a titanium version of the sinlge digit 7 called the single digit ti there £30 each but come with full ti arms and mounting aquipment.

for levers i sugest avid speed dail or avid ultimate lever , or u could use a xtr lever wich are very stiff.

as for cables either clark cable or linier slick cable.

and for pads you could use plazmatics like you said or purchase some onza v adaptors and use any pad you wanted.

also check out heatsink link for cnc backings for v breaks and cnc adaptors.

good luck .

Wrong. They only come with ti bolts.

My SD Ultimates didn't feel as good as my SD7s. I think SD7s with XTR or even XT levers and good cables are the way to go.

i ride a rear v.

sd7 with sd7 lever, oddy linear slick cable, koxx yellows in heatsink backings. absolutely mint brake, cant fault it really! i dont think sd7's are that much better than sd5's though to be honest so i'd just go sd5 and save some money.

All you guys who run vees on the rear, how's the actual bite of your rear brake? can it be compared to a bite that a maggie has? I'm really tempted to go for a vee on the rear because of the fact that they feel so nice and they don't leak. But all the vees I've tried have been REALLY powerful when allready locked but they have never had a good bite. Is it something that you're all used to or have all the brakes I've tried been badly set up?

sorry for hijacking the thread :rolleyes:

What do you mean XTR Vs are more hastle than they are worth??

They are probly one of the best V brakes available.

I have been running one on the front for 5 years and havent had to touch it. And Ive only had to replace the cable a couple times (due to damage)

The parralell linkage is an amazing idea, that works well.

Ive had one on my bike for 8 years (had to replace the V brake once due to stack damage)

Run with an XTR lever, Standard Raleigh Cable and Normal black outer. Has been an amazing brake, and not let me down.

If you prefer it a bit stiffer use Jagwire outer cables (make sure you run it too long as it has a habbit of straightening the Noodles)

Had this agument with brendan couple years back. He bought Arch rivals, they broke. He bought SD7s, They fell to peices. I still got the XTR running

A bad day with a maggie... So I have decided I want a vee..

The set up I am choosing, sd7 levers, sd7 arms, odyssey linear slick cable... All I need to find is a cheap set of pads and some decent adaptors from 4 bolt that won't cost me £30!

talk to iolo he will be able to make you some.

Will do, hopefully he won't take the piss with price though... Im only looking for something to do the job, not look fancy ;)

I seen this t-bird and noticed (unless my eyes are playing tricks on me) that it has vee adaptors from 4 bolt mounts... Are these not available from onza????... There must be loads about from when noobs people have had them and then upgraded from vee to maggie :"

They are probly one of the best V brakes available.

I have been running one on the front for 5 years and havent had to touch it. And Ive only had to replace the cable a couple times (due to damage)

They are fine for the front, but on the back they will go loose and start to wobbly.

I find that my brake has as much bite as my friends magies but it's really down to what pad/grind setup you have

I seen this t-bird and noticed (unless my eyes are playing tricks on me) that it has vee adaptors from 4 bolt mounts... Are these not available from onza????... There must be loads about from when noobs people have had them and then upgraded from vee to maggie :"

Unfortunatly as far as i am aware they are not selling them seperatly, i nabbed a 2 pairs off ebay from a guy that had upgraded his t-pro and i have to say that they are bloody good vee adapters, loads of adjustment and nice and slim-line compared to the heatsinks. It is what i am running, but atm Ali C has them due to problems with his brake :P

Jonny, did u try my brake when i rode Nottingham, it was working SUPER well that day!!

Adam

Unfortunatly as far as i am aware they are not selling them seperatly, i nabbed a 2 pairs off ebay from a guy that had upgraded his t-pro and i have to say that they are bloody good vee adapters, loads of adjustment and nice and slim-line compared to the heatsinks. It is what i am running, but atm Ali C has them due to problems with his brake :P

Jonny, did u try my brake when i rode Nottingham, it was working SUPER well that day!!

Adam

i thought they looked good!!! when you get them back if you have a spare set would you sell them to me?

yeah your brake was beast! iv just had enough of my magura, its a never ending story full of miserable problems of hoses leaking, seals breaking... would be good to just have a vee to set up and forget about, i love how my front avid bb7 feels on the front, very snappey and solid and its using a crap cable.

if i could just find a whole good vee set up for less than 40 i would have it... because theres maguras on ebay for 40 posted and its either one of those or a vee!

I am probably going to get a set of sd7 and xtr levers, do you guys know if the sram flak jacket cables are stiff or where i can get some clarks cables. I will go for some heat sink adapters echo brake booster and plaz pads, see how that works?

What setup do the guys with v's run on here?

get yaself an odyssey linear slick cable, far better than any other cable i think (smooth, lots of colours, have a nice stiff outer and uber cheap), also try and find an xtr carbon booster, best booster out there by far (Y)

i run ultimate arms, lever, slick cable, coust pads on heatsink backings, bonz v adaptors and a standard cheapy noodle, and my brake works ace :) don't need a booster either which is good