Tensile Freewheels

Mike Poyzer @ Onza

Tensile Freewheels now fitted as standard original equipment on four brands of Trials bikes are shortly to be available in 16 tooth and 22 tooth. These two new sizes of what is rapidly becoming the default trials freewheel will be in the UK in a couple of weeks. Total production of the freewheel has now passed 5000 and it has become a Great British success story.

the-tensile-three-2.jpg

The 22t would be mint on a street bike, providing you could get a rear hub with a tiny little sprocket, about 8-10t I reckon?

you can get bmx's with 9t rear sprockets I think.

Gearing would be gay. 22-16 is hard enough. 22-18 is 1.22 i think, thats what i would go for :S

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would update this, in the time I have had my 18t tensile, (5 months), it hasn't skipped once, never come loose, infact I have only had the cranks off for fitting my new frame, and it went straight back on.

In the same time my mate has had a try-all and binned it, and has had to buy an eno.

Another mate has an eno which skips occasionally.

I would recommend one, even if it only lasts a year, its £35! And you can the internals for it.

EDIT: 7 Months... Still no skips, have persuaded my try-all binning mate to get one, he has just bought a koxx, which comes with a try-all. Oh Dear. So he is getting one of these

Edited by KuelMuel

Whip off your crank arm, take off the lockring and check out what's going on inside. Should be pretty easy to sort out, probably just one of the pawls rounding off a bit, or a bearing chipping and the bits of metal messing up the pawls + ratchet. Should be cheap/free and easy to fix (Y)

• 1 month later...

Surely for the 22t model you could have used the extra size to make a better freewheel by using bigger/more pawls and deeper ratchets rather than just ordering a larger plate on the current one which looks ridiculous.

Nice idea though having different sizes