Graffiti.........

ding_dong

graphitti?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. is it vandalism or art?

• art
    • vandalism

as it says really, i see it as a form of art but thats just me, and i am not just talking avout little chavs writing "I WOZ ERE 2K7" i mean big peices that people have taken time to create and most of the time have a message behind the piece.

oh and sorry if this doen't work i have never done a pool before. :$

Like you said, I really like the nice bright interesting stuff, it really livens up dull grey city centres. But the scallies with marker pens can just die, it's not big or clever.

Ive voted art, If we are talking proper pieces. "DAN + PAUL WOZ ERE" Is just... well shit to be honest ha!

But i like tagging too, Like tags that look good, Well written and flowing ......... etc

Ive voted art, If we are talking proper pieces. "DAN + PAUL WOZ ERE" Is just... well shit to be honest ha!

But i like tagging too, Like tags that look good, Well written and flowing ......... etc

completely agree unless its on the wall of fence of someones garded ect.

I like the real art graffitti, the massive walls with drawings and stuff.

And I like tagging, to the extent that whenever I'm on the tube, seeing a tag on the underside of a bridge makes me wonder how someone got there and left it there.

But I don't like tagging on a bin or something, that's pretty wank, there's nothing to it, no story, no value.

In some under passes, the council has had some graffiti artist to do them up and they look really good! untill some little tit goes and puts their mark on <_<. I love some of the graffiti I see, it's brilliant.

In the right places its brilliant, some can make you really stop and think.

The skatepark area on london southbank I think is awesome, The contrast from very expensive real-estate and dominating architecture collides with this, grungy.. youthful section or graffiti.. Awesome.

real graffiti i absolutely love! but mindless tagging and the whole "cru" culture thing that goes with it is turd. my favorite painters around the southeast must be framerase and brave1

eraseframe_14_9_03.jpg

framerase_mc2v1.jpg

einesteinfe2.jpg

Edited by Ben Cox

Art through vandalism. :turned: Same for alot of trials/bmx/skateboard stuff i guess. I personally love Graffiti though, it just brightens up the street and turns a boring wall into something fun! I've started getting alot more into it recently and im going out with my first stencills soon. :)

Houses, schools and churches take it too far though, only company or councill owned stuff really. I don't just like the art but also as a few have said the story behind getting there, how that drainpipe was used for access etc. and the guts and work that go into it.

As for tagging, i see what you mean about the 'Dan Woz Ere 2007' thing, thats poo. But some tagging is really good, the flowy tagging in hard to get to places can be amazing. And learning to tag can be one of the first steps in gaining the skills for those massive pieces you see.

also, first person to post a banksy gets shot.

Im getting shot, One of his pieces is my avatar! GET IN!

EDIT: Well it was until i gayed it up in photoshop :P

Edited by Alan

Some stuff and look kinda alright, as in massive peices which were obviously professional...but anyone that good does it for a living (eg. spraying custom cars, bikes etc). Most peices in Derby/Notts aren't really the most admireable things in the world. Ok, sometimes its better than looking at a brick wall...but to be fair, its not your brick wall to judge...so If someone does spray it, chances are they'll want it removing which will cost them £££.

Imagine painting your fence or the side of your house and the next morning some little scally fanny as sprayed some bullshit about 'f**king the corprate world'. Pretty pissed off eh?

You may thing I'm going over the top, but at the bottom of my house/garden I have my garage, which is pretty big compared to most peoples on my street, so it attracts attention, also, it has a flat wooden front which is like fort knoxx...ideal for spraying which some little shit did...so I spent most of one weekend varnishing the b*****d thing, only for them to tag it again two weeks later.

Complete student hippy f**kwits.

As far as I see it, Graphitti is a form of art, But its also vandalism when done to public property. I think it looks good in the right places, I.e. abandoned subways etc, but when you see lots of pointless 'tags' which could have been drawn by a five year old it really pisses me off.

bannksy is all i say

Yeah man, I love his stuff, gives you something to think about. I'll buy his hardback book soon? I love art type graffiti, been noticing and taking a lot of pictures of it around Liverpool lately.

Quick Fact: ages ago, Liverpool was plagued with the tag `KAZO R + AW`, it was absolutely everywhere, like on unreachable places ie: the back of the Liverpool ferry, was low down, must have robbed a dingy! They eventually got caught, and where made to clean it all up etc. Last I heard of AW-Anthony Warner, he was the goalkeeper for Norwich City! Kazo may have moved back to Spain with his nutcase brother? Any scousers remember them?

Imagine painting your fence or the side of your house and the next morning some little scally fanny as sprayed some bullshit about 'f**king the corprate world'. Pretty pissed off eh?

Imagining that scenario is hilarious, you blatantly didn't say fanny though :P