Where Will The 2008 Frame Designs Go?

ManxTrialSpaz

Frames will be CNCed into a single shaped titanium hole.

I reckon the 08 frames will keep with the norm but if Koxx's hydro formed frames kick up and prove to be successful, we may well see the transition into hydro formed frames.

hydro formed frames???

what a do you mean a??

Hydro forming is a method of sculpting tubing where hydraulic pressure is used to force the tubing into a mould to give complicated designs. Have a look at the shape of the koxx Kydroxx's down tube to see what I mean. Or a lot of new giant MTB's use hydro forming. Its some pretty cool shit.

I just think they're gunna stay quite similar really. Looks already like there getting a bit more colourful, but really, all that's left now is aesthetics and weight/strenght, as the geometry's just going back a forth anyway, so I think its settled as much as it's going to.

I hope that more frames start to have horizontal dropouts but with 135mm hub spacing , like the new mbk and i think the koxxboxx is like that to. it would be cool to be able to have no mech or tensioner.

agreed, and when the hell is the mbk 2 coming out anyway

I agree with you guys that an horizontal mount drop out frame is good because you are able to run single speed easy. But don't guys find it more of a hassle, since the wheel moves, repositioning and getting proper tension?

With a vertical mount you pop in the wheel and it is set. I know tensionners are not that great so far, but this could change...

I agree with you guys that an horizontal mount drop out frame is good because you are able to run single speed easy. But don't guys find it more of a hassle, since the wheel moves, repositioning and getting proper tension?

With a vertical mount you pop in the wheel and it is set. I know tensionners are not that great so far, but this could change...

In which case the style of tensioning devices used may undergo some more thought, to overcome the problems.

I think things will just get more and more fine tuned, nothing too drastic will become an instant hit, so a lot of the time it's a case of making small changes to see how that will affect things, as opposed to sudden extreme deviations from the norm

Yeah, there will always be companies doing the extreme and the crazy, but this usually seems to kick up ideas as opposed to a whole different bike. Things get taken onboard, adapted, and worked into current ideas.

To be honest though, none of us can say with definite certainty what exactly things will be like, we can just check it out when it arrives and make our decisions then

who really has trouble with horizontal dropouts?

I haven't run any sort of chain tensioner on my bmx in ages and the only time the wheel moves is if i drop hard from about 3 foot onto my peg. With the mod I was absolutely fine with snail cams and more recently with nothing at all - in the unlikely event that your wheel does move its a 30 second job and you're back on the bike again which beats the shit out of snapping a mech hanger and going home cos your bike doesn't work anymore.

I hope that more frames start to have horizontal dropouts but with 135mm hub spacing , like the new mbk and i think the koxxboxx is like that to. it would be cool to be able to have no mech or tensioner.

They should have frames perfectly designed for a seclection of gear ratios, problem is youd have to stick with it.

In which case the style of tensioning devices used may undergo some more thought, to overcome the problems.

I think things will just get more and more fine tuned, nothing too drastic will become an instant hit, so a lot of the time it's a case of making small changes to see how that will affect things, as opposed to sudden extreme deviations from the norm

Yeah, there will always be companies doing the extreme and the crazy, but this usually seems to kick up ideas as opposed to a whole different bike. Things get taken onboard, adapted, and worked into current ideas.

To be honest though, none of us can say with definite certainty what exactly things will be like, we can just check it out when it arrives and make our decisions then

well commented, u r a leg-end

In a few weeks you gonna see really innovative rear hubs from Deng - I assume noone did what Deng manage to do. Also deng uses hydroforming for some time (take a look at control from '04 or team from '03 (?), they already got hydroformed tubing). Gu's polished welds are the SHIT IMO. Should do whole frames like that, would look like cannondale - sooo much more pro look.

Geo is only a trend/fashion. It changes almost every year. You can't say exactly that one geo is better than the other. Two year ago everybody loved +10mm bb and 385mm cs, last year the top geo was +55/60mm bb and as short as possible CS:P. But somehow people changed their mind and it's know even more diffrent. Deng is slowly leaving ultra short chainstays and going back to 380/385mm.

one thing i can see perhaps taking off is internal brake guides, just to keep things clean, one thing, which would be very restrictive, but would look the nuts,and may not be too far off with deng doing brakes now. is internal hyrdraulic routing, factory installed. with a splitter built in, and just a braided hose coming out of each seat stay, just above the 4 bolt mounts. admittedly, would make in bath bleeding awkward. but would be neat, out of the way, no hoses scratching paint work, no crossover to snap, and generally look different, would also mean suddenly hoses would become old skool and become cool again.

could possibly see slightly lower standover heights next year, although awkward to implement, and meaning using longer bottom brackets/dengura calipers(but hey if deng make that pretty much necesary then they get a sale of a brake with each frame)/people making crank arms with a offset away from the bb(which again would be a money spinner, new cranks with the frame) just cos of the uber tucked ovet to the point where you sit on your pedal

who really has trouble with horizontal dropouts?

I haven't run any sort of chain tensioner on my bmx in ages and the only time the wheel moves is if i drop hard from about 3 foot onto my peg. With the mod I was absolutely fine with snail cams and more recently with nothing at all - in the unlikely event that your wheel does move its a 30 second job and you're back on the bike again which beats the shit out of snapping a mech hanger and going home cos your bike doesn't work anymore.

This crap about horizontal dropout's being hassle is blown WAY out of proportion. I even remember reading here that someone didn't like them because if their chain did come loose, when the re-tensioned it, they would have to set up their brake again.

Ok so I set up my bike, get the chain tight, nd then set up the brakes. IF my wheel moves causing lack of tension, surley it's simply a case of jumping off the bike, grabbing a 5mm allen key, loosening the bolts, and clicking your snail cam up one notch. Tighten up again, and because you set your brakes up correctly when the tension was perfect, unless your brakes have moved, you wil end up with essentially the same set-up you had before loosing tension.

What is so difficult about snail cams? they are SO basic, and when they are notched they stay in place for AGES (in my experiance anyway, ony had to re-tension my chain once or twice after a year back riding) I actually find BMX style chain tugs to be more hassle, one they stick out form the dropout, they are likely to get hit. When the gay looking bolt that sticks out the rear of the bike get's bent, you effectively can't remove the tensioner without cutting the bolt end off. and they look gash too.

so yeh, snail cams for the win.