Muscle

Just to let you know, you should really be doing your pull-ups a lot slower, so as to use your muscles more and not depend on upward momentum.

That may be true for building muscle mass (bulking up), but I'd have thought that for the explosive power you need for trials, fast reps like that probably doesn't do any harm... Just a thought.

Dave

Just to let you know, you should really be doing your push-ups a lot slower, so as to use your muscles more and not depend on upward momentum. Oh, and you should really come all the way down so your arms are straight. To do those two things is a lot harder but the benefits are much better (Y)

Yeh i do do them slow but that was just to show how quick i could actually do them lol, but thanks anyway!

Adam :)

But they all have fairly big arms.

If any one can remember Danny Smith he was one of best riders in the UK and he was massive.

Also I find being tall helps with riding.

Matt Rushton

tell that to little man ian cooper (used to ride for raleigh) he was a beast but def not tall

So just to recap you need muscle and technique I have developed technique but because I am not very big it is holding me back because I find it hard to throw the bike around.

get a mod then or a lighter/shorter stock

Just to let you know, you should really be doing your push-ups a lot slower, so as to use your muscles more and not depend on upward momentum. Oh, and you should really come all the way down so your arms are straight. To do those two things is a lot harder but the benefits are much better (Y)

u shouldnt go to completely straight arms (damages your elbows), your elbows should stay slightly bent, this also keeps tensio in the muscle and prevents a rest period which means the muscle groups get less of an intense workout and pace wise about 1-2 secs down and 1 sec up should be about right

i have little kids better than me now do i care no cos i no i dont ride ever night and 'train' if you will i just go out for a laugh but it does help if your pretty fit

i smoke and drink way too much so my stamina levers are down at the mo and prob will be untill i run out of money and the smoking ban kicks in.

instead of goin to the gym and gettin bigger what you must remember is ok you may have bigger muscules but musucle weighs more this is why i suggest you dont go into a gym and lift the biggest weights, start with 10kg and work on your stamina i usually do 30 reps with my bi ceps and 30 with my tri ceps and then agin but 20 and finally 10 you will see that your not just gettin stronger but you will be able to ride longer

hope this helps

i have little kids better than me now do i care no cos i no i dont ride ever night and 'train' if you will i just go out for a laugh but it does help if your pretty fit

i smoke and drink way too much so my stamina levers are down at the mo and prob will be untill i run out of money and the smoking ban kicks in.

instead of goin to the gym and gettin bigger what you must remember is ok you may have bigger muscules but musucle weighs more this is why i suggest you dont go into a gym and lift the biggest weights, start with 10kg and work on your stamina i usually do 30 reps with my bi ceps and 30 with my tri ceps and then agin but 20 and finally 10 you will see that your not just gettin stronger but you will be able to ride longer

hope this helps

thanks i will keep that mind

Yer most of my mates are more bigger than me and they make it look so easy.

At the moment i'm doing weights every morning and night to get my muscles bigger, (hopefully it'll help me.)

Ross.. (Y)

I think its cute :rolleyes:

Nah just joking ross!!!

If your serious about gettin a bit bigger/stronger then go for it buddy!!

Personally, i wouldn't say that muscle has anything to do with how well you can ride a bike!

I think if the technique and determination is there then that is all you need!!

But that could just be me wishfull thinking :D

Danny...

As a follow up to Ben's post- I've never been to a gym in my life (and never would...). Doesn't seem to have done me any harm!

52816275347bac6a1b2bkr9.jpg

Riding is by far the best excercise to improve your riding- nothing else will work the necessary muscles in the right way, particularly weights. Bulk also doesn't really matter provided you have a good technique, as has already been said.

Dave

Well presumably, as you ride you use only the muscles involved in riding, so if you want to get the muscles involved with riding stronger, then just ride, and you can't go wrong! After a while it surely has to make a difference.

But then I just thought, if you keep riding at pretty much the same level, then your not going to build up your muscles anymore because they have no need to get bigger because they can (at this stage) handle what you're doing quite comfortably. If you get me... :turned:

What i'm trying to say is what I put first is useless :thumbsup:

Edited by trials pie

52816275347bac6a1b2bkr9.jpg

Your skinny as f**k! :mellow:

Having a bit of muscle will help i suppose being a tiny bit stocky if you look at all the upcoming, next gen riders theyre not skinny and there the ones taking it up a notch imo.

Edited by Roberto_Gazzio

Why do muscle threads remind me of a cock fest and hot oils? stop being such poofs ride you bike, if your too fat you drink too much, good lads (Y)if your too skinny you need to drink more.... sorted?

You trying to tell me something here Simp :D .

I dont think muscles are really important. A good technique will get you better and then the muscles come with riding.

Matt

Why do muscle threads remind me of a cock fest and hot oils? stop being such poofs ride you bike, if your too fat you drink too much, good lads (Y) if your too skinny you need to drink more.... sorted?

No just explaining about why ive let myself go :(

I've got sweet FA bodyfat if that's what you mean... but certainly not skin and bones skinny. And it's mainly down to a very wierd metabolism I think. I eat and drink what the hell I like and never put an ounce of fat on.

Dave

I used to be like that but then one day i woke up and was like, 'f**king hell, I'm fat!' It definately catches up with you sooner or later.

Matt

I used to be like that but then one day i woke up and was like, 'f**king hell, I'm fat!' It definately catches up with you sooner or later.

Matt

I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen to me... I'm 25 now and my dad is pretty much the same, although skinnier- think he's been like 9.5 stone since he was 18 (he's now 58 I think)... I really ought to try selling my body to medical science. There must be fat people out there who would kill for my genes!!

I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen to me... I'm 25 now and my dad is pretty much the same, although skinnier- think he's been like 9.5 stone since he was 18 (he's now 58 I think)... I really ought to try selling my body to medical science. There must be fat people out there who would kill for my genes!!

Fair enough!

Someone would buy it i'm sure, Just hang around outside Burger King or something and try and sell it to the fatties as they walk out.

A freind of mine started doing weights a few months back and hes started improving, his taps, sidehops and gaps have all improved loads :)

But when I asked him to show me how he lifts his technique was far from correct, so if you do start lifting weights I would suggest to buy some freeweights and make sure your technique is right, also they can be used to exercise different muscles... They can work out cheaper than buying a machine or forking out for a years gym pass.

Ectomorph?

Ectomorph?

Just had to google that...

The ECTOMORPH

* Definitive "Hard Gainer"-------------Dunno what that means

* Delicate Built Body-------------------Nope

* Flat Chest-----------------------------Nope

* Fragile---------------------------------Nope

* Lean-----------------------------------Yes

* Lightly Muscled-----------------------Nope, reasonably built upper body

* Small Shouldered--------------------Nope, broad and quite built

* Takes Longer to Gain Muscle--------Nope

* Thin------------------------------------Yes-little bodyfat

I guess that's a no for the ectomorph then!

Dave

Edited by monkeyseemonkeydo

This topic crops up every now and again. I don’t go to the gym, why build up unnecessary muscles? In my opinion if you are reasonably fit and can ride for 2 mins, (the time allowed for a section), just keep riding and the rest will follow.

ben.

dont even make me bring up the fort william ssdt topic with u killing some boy in one punch. haha oh wait i just did.

your ripped to f**k ben, but suppose i never go to the gym, if i did it would be for appearance reasons only.....for trials its explosive muscles,