Disturbing Thought

Greetings

After a rather close encounter with a mate on a comp recently (was jumping off a wall and he stopped right under it) I've been having disturbing thoughts about how it could happen again but with a kid or old man. Generally speaking while riding street, one is fairly conscious about what is happening around but there are lots of rushing pedestrians who won't bother to stop/think when you are doing a move. Lets say you do a large tap, don't quite make it to the top and abubaca off it. Right behind you a kid appears who didn't assume you would be jumping right back - or lets face it - didn't assume anything because he saw a colourful object and decided to run towards it. The consequences could be really drastic and at the end of the day it's your fault because you shouldn't have been doing what you were doing. Being a static sport, trials should be fairly safe but even a silly rear wheel pivot could knock somebody out if he was standing in the wrong place.

I know this doesn't really happen that often, throughout the 6 years i've been riding i only hit another woman on a bike which cost me the replacement of her front wheel that wrapped around the forks like tinfoil - thankfully she was only bruised but at the time I was too young to think about the potential consequences of such an accident.

This leads me to the following question - have you ever injured another person (not a rider) while riding, if so - how?

funny you should mention that..

I half-cabbed into my sister about 3 hours ago. I wasn't running pegs so she escaped unharmed but I got a bit of a clout round the head when she'd stood up.

I usually won't attempt anything if there's a member of the public within about 50 yards of me - I've slapped into enough other riders in the past to realise the damage you can do.

yes this is a worry. especially as children watch in amazement at what your doing they dont react when they're in trouble, they just sit there frozen with fear

I guess this is why group rides are useful.

Had a few close shaves but not with pedestrians more cars lol riding down the high street at full speed stupied land rover pulls out must of been and inch between him and me shat my pants lol.

And coming thorught my allie near my house come close to hitting loats of people lol but most do stand away from me.

And yes it is quite worring to think about hitting a child or old person but i would just stop and wait and people put me off anyways.

Pimp

I remember seeing Rossi go for a decent size gap up from a 1ft rail to a 3ft wall over a path and didn't quite make it and he started to lean back as you do, but at the same time a cyclist was riding past and Rossi basically did a backwards roll over him! The cyclist didn't get hurt and just carried on riding...

Edited by cultiv8ed stan

I know you said not riders but i 180'd off a wall once and didn't check behind me. Todge was about to drop off the wall till i spun round a twatted his front wheel from underneath him, sent him flying over the bars quite well. Not the best way to make a first impression, in fact... i'm actually suprised he still spoke to me and that we became good mates.

Me and jonny mc were moving a large wooden beam the other day when jonny walked out in front of a cyclist, (who seemed to be drunk at the time) and he knocked him off the bike with the wooden pole. What made it quite funny was the way jonny picked up the old guys hat, placed it on his head and proceeded to pat him on his back and lift him up and sending him on his way. The guy was so confused by what had happened that he went off almost speechless in a weird drunken cruise down the street on his ghetto bike.

Also had some twat decide he was in a hurry and instead of walking behind someone for 20 seconds longer, that he'd instead walk under my front wheel as i'm about to drop off the edge of a wall. Was just getting the preload and everything... he soooo nearly got landed on. Bloody best have been an important phone call.

This nearly happened to me tonight, was getting up a wall, made it, then when i wanted to drop out of it, a car decided to turn in the entrance just to go back the other way, but I never saw it coming, I nearly dropped on it ! but I thought after that, "if it would've been a pedestrians, that could have been more serious" Even though i always wait till they pass, there is still the risk as you said that someone pass by rushing !

woO! steve nearly killed him!

lol if steve had done a wheel swap after the sidehop bit his front wheel would have smashed that gezza right in the face, which serves him right for speeding. :lol:

Edited by powerz

Me and jonny mc were moving a large wooden beam the other day when jonny walked out in front of a cyclist, (who seemed to be drunk at the time) and he knocked him off the bike with the wooden pole. What made it quite funny was the way jonny picked up the old guys hat, placed it on his head and proceeded to pat him on his back and lift him up and sending him on his way. The guy was so confused by what had happened that he went off almost speechless in a weird drunken cruise down the street on his ghetto bike.

I need to be more careful :(

I dunno why I was patting him :S

i wasnt exactly riding,i swung my back end round 180 with my feet on the floor,pretty much twatted some uni bird on her boobs,nice ass though,and she didnt seem to mind,she apologized to me!another time,i dropped off a small wall,and some old bint walked straight infront of me,or tried to.i ended up with my front wheel on her toes...all i got was a look that should have put me 6ft under!

Carl

I'm guessing the police would have no mercy if you actually hurt someone whilst riding.

Personally I try to avoid really populated areas and wait for as long as it takes until people have gone by but once in the old days, riding my azonic steelhead, I sidehopped down some stairs and couldn't see behind me and this chav came out of no where and I landed on his foot. Was quite comical but he was preety pissed off.

Phil

i have a great video i took of phil williams somewhere on this computer, he's gapping across the ends of these logs stood upright and there's this kid who just runs over and looks up at him, he starts to lean towards this kid and i'm like "shit, the kids gonna get f**ked", luckily he keeps it and carries on to this rock away from the kid, thought about how different things could have gone many a time, no sort of comeback really is there? "you shouldn't have been walking on the damn pavement should have you...?" suppose you got to be fair stupid to walk under someone on their backwheel on a wall, kids are the main problem though, they just run over and it's like "ah poo"

Mark.