Driving Age Now Raised To 18!

Boswell

Just wondering what peoples views are on the law that is comming in next year that only 18's and over can drive. personally I think it's bollocks because what does 1 years difference make and i have been lead to believe that i could drive when i was 17 for my whole life. I also heard that in some states in america you can get a provisional when your 14!

Edited by Boswell

Shit luck really, not much you can do about it, so don't mope and just get on with it.

Is'nt it to do with your body growth? so you don't balls your joints up so young when there not at there strongest? It's what I was told years ago about it being 17.

EDIT:

And to do with responsability behind the wheel, lol.

Edited by Tom Booth

people are just gonna ignore it. Then Mr Brown will lower it, because people will start killing themselfs. (My Oppinion)

I know I'm gonna ignore it. They also can't stop me getting a 250cc Bike, which is faster, and a lot more unsafe.

Bastards.

I hate the government! >.<

Edited by Hendrixmaster

so if your 17 before january the 1st of 2008 you will be ok? you don't have to pass your test before then no?

I can't find anything set in stone over this. just alot of mps who want the driving age raised anyone got a link to the real government realease on this cause i want to know weather i'm gonna get to drive my mini this year :(

Edited by Gavyn L

Don't agree with it at all, I learnt to drive when I way 17 and I think it's just the right age. I hate the way the government is giving less and less responsibility to young adults and still thinks they should be respectful, you only get respect if you show respect. I don't see what was wrong with the system, and if it isn't broke why fix it?

im going to apoligise in advance in case im wrong here. and no offence meant to you at all.

but boswell, your talking out of your arse. who told you the driving age was going up to 18 next year? wheres your official confirmation on this?(i.e a copy of the information with dates for the changes on a website(even the sun.com would suffice))

im willing to bet you now, £100 on it, that the driving age wont change to 18 next year.

my reasoning for this

1) its been a rumour since i was 11-12, possibly longer, that it was going up "next year" (i.e 6-7 years ago now),its something which every 15/16 year old gets told. we just got told of older cousins etc, that wed miss out too.

2)itd be a pretty massive thing, i.e a lot bigger than the smoking age going up(as theres no sensible reasoning for keeping the smoking age at 16, yet the driving has plenty of reasons(thinking of the rural community, getting to work etc, that people go to university just after turning 18 quite often, meaning they wouldnt have enough money to drive till after university is over, meaning that there wil be a hell of lot of 21 year olds, with £15k of debt, a degree, but no ability to get to a job that isnt local) and the smoking age change is publicised enough.

3)ive never seen or heard a date put on this, with stuff like law changes, theres always dates put on it,smoking ban, age change, fox hunting etc.

4) its not a law gordon brown can just decide to change one day. to change it, itd be a similar process(and probably similarly contested(i.e rural people being highly against the change, so a lot of mp's from the rural areas would be standing up to oppose it, as would some from the cities, who grew up in the country and no how it was)) to the fox hunting bill. so for it to be passed, itd go a little something like this, gordon brown(although chances are by the time this law comes into effect, he wont be pm) will have thousands of meetings(which may already of gone on) with consultationers, high up government types, road safety officials, leaders from countries that have made similar law changes, then once hes made his mind up on it. hell take it to the queen, who is just a yes woman, shell then announce it at the opening of parliament, it would then have to pass through both the house of commons, and the house of lords, and the chances of it getting passed through both houses easily, are about as high as finding rocking horse sh%t. so no doubt it will take as long to go through as the smoking ban did, or the fox hunting ban, it wil then be announced its passed, with big publicity, a statement from gordon brown, and official dates outlining the changes. these dates wont be like "in 7 days from now, the driving age will change to 18" it will be a good 6-24 months down the line, as the time took to pass the laws, print out information leaflets on it all, inform all driving training agencies, change all the existing forms and leaflets,edit all the .gov websites(and allow time for all the bsm, aa websites etc to change) wont be a short process.

none of this(Except perhaps a few consultation meetings for gordon brown) has happened, that whole process, even at its shortest, quickest route through parliament and giving like a 6 month period before implementation, will take at least 18 months, and in reality, if it gets the go ahead to go through parliament on monday, chances are it would be 2-5 years before it was implemented, if it even got through parliament that is.

so id say if your 15 or above, youve got nothing to worry about at all. if your 13/14, theres a hell of a good chance it will be 17 when you turn 17. the only way i can see if effecting anyone on here(other than perhaps robbie peacock) is if in a total shock, gordon brown decided to up the driving age to 21, which would be a lot higher contested, and chances are wouldnt get through parliament, but if it took 5 years to come in, it could quite easily effect the 13/14 year olds stuck in nmc right now.

infact with the law changing till your 18

1) its been a rumour since i was 11-12, possibly longer, that it was going up "next year" (i.e 6-7 years ago now),its something which every 15/16 year old gets told. we just got told of older cousins etc, that wed miss out too.

damn it! you beat me to it.

but yea, basicly, ever person i know has been told when theyre 16 that the driving age is going up to 18 'next year'

i thought i was one of the lucky last 17 year olds, but of course, everyone does.

google it, if theres any legislation, itll come up.

it doesnt, its all questions and proposals.

its not happened, and its not about to.

topic closed.

but yea, basicly, ever person i know has been told when theyre 16 that the driving age is going up to 18 'next year'

LMAO I can remember when we told some lad at school it went upto 21, and he started crying.

Anyway, to hendrixmaster...

You'd willing to preety much be as dangerous as a joy rider etc, for the sake of a year?

the government can suck my cakes.

I really do not see what difference a year makes or how it affects your driving.

Somebody who just passed at 17 is probably going to be as safe as someone who's 30 and just passed, but most young people like to speed is all :P

anyway, im getting a bigger bike next year, i really dont see the point of having a car at 17.

IF they do change it ( I very much doubt they will), they need to look at changing the child fare age aswell

Spot on. I can drive now, but if I wasn't allowed because of this law, and subsequently couldnt drive to uni or to liverpool to see my girlfriend, which both probably use about £5-6 in petrol, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be spending £9 on a f**king train ticket.

Lol at the guys feaking out haha, I think if there was a new law coming into action next year there'd be a huge hype about it with whiney teenagers bitching all over the place about it, so yeah I very much doubt it. Oh and you have to be 18 to get a driving licence here, now THAT sucks. And to get a provisional licence you have to be 16, pass the theory test and pay for a minimum of 20hours of driving lessons (1hour of driving = 32€ish which is £22), that makes a total of £447 for driving lessons, around £1000 for sitting in front a TV taking mock theory tests, £50 for sitting the theory and then pay some more for taking your real test...wow french government = robbing bastaaaaards.