The Car Thread

MadManMike

The 306 is still alive and well. 

Sorted the lack of heater blower by removing the plug from the resistor and looping it out with a split pin. Only works on no.2 now but, it works. 

Exhaust was pretty much ready for falling off so Ive home brewed a new one... theres a distinct lack of silencers in it but its an old diesel, doesnt sound much different. 

The brakes are truly horrendous. The handbrake is questionable and the brake pedal offers no real feel of whats going on. Just a vague "its definitely slowing down" feel but the amount of force you use on the pedal doesnt translate into actual stopping force. Servo is rusty as f**k though and the vacuum pump might not even be doing anything, need to investigate. 

Hasnt used any water though and is brilliant on fuel. Ive tweaked the fuel pump like you would on the D Turbo's and its pepped it up a little, or as much as it could do on a non turbo diesel. 

In short its doing its job, but I detest it. 
Ive got one arch 80% done on the green civic now, with one more to go so hopefully not too long before I can use it again and park the Peugeot up for a rainy day... 

5 hours ago, MadManMike said:

With the lack of brakes, I'm not sure "pepping it up" is the ideal plan haha.

It is fun messing with knackered cars though, homebrew exhausts etc... When you hate a car you can just run it into the ground.

When I say pepped up I mean make it a bit more bareable over how slow it actually is:lol: It's no rocket ship haha 

Im looking forward to getting back in the civic. 

31 minutes ago, dann2707 said:

Mate try 60bhp! Diesel power with no turbo. It's scarily slow. 

I've only got 68bhp :lol:

1.9 non turbo diesel, indirect injection haha 

Mega reliable engines but soooo slow 

The coupe will have around 220bhp with scope for a bit more so it's going to be a bit of a step up haha 

2 hours ago, dann2707 said:

Mate try 60bhp! Diesel power with no turbo. It's scarily slow. 

Imagine the same power in a MK3 Golf, that I'd run on used oil for the entire time I'd had it, which was slowly blocking the filter, that I'd chosen to ignore suddenly dropping 90% of it's power in the middle lane of the M1 half way through passing a lorry, THAT was scarily slow :lol:

• Like 2

Another weekend at the welder.. 

Inner arch this time. Useful CAD technology in use to form the templates I need... cheers binky! 

Looking into other engine options as I'm bored solid of the 1.4 now and it'll be worthy of a better engine once it's done. 

Wish I'd never sold the B16 now... on th hunt for another or a B18. 

IMG_0094.JPG

Well my rad kit never came for the Coupe. Currently in the process of getting my money back through Paypal. 
Ordered a less bling but equally as functional OEM style EP3 radiator instead along side my fuel pressure regulator. 
Leaves the exhaust to make, and bumper/bonnet/boot lid to paint. 

Hopefully I get to go for a spin in it before the end of the month... 

As I'm sure Jolfa will be eagerly awaiting an update, here we go... 

Fuel set up is now complete! Engine can be safely run at a rail pressure of 60psi (OE specified fuel pressure for an Ep3). 

(image shows pressure after it's been switched off)

AEM universal fuel pressure regulator, with self assembled braided lines and AN-6 fittings throughout. As simple as drilling and tapping two holes in the N/S shock tower and bolting it down. Lovely. I'm going to buy a 90deg fitting for the left hand port as the line sits snug to the battery and I'd rather it didn't. 

IMG_0131.JPG

Edited by SamKidney

22 hours ago, SamKidney said:

As I'm sure Jolfa will be eagerly awaiting an update, here we go... 

Fuel set up is now complete! Engine can be safely run at a rail pressure of 60psi (OE specified fuel pressure for an Ep3). 

(image shows pressure after it's been switched off)

AEM universal fuel pressure regulator, with self assembled braided lines and AN-6 fittings throughout. As simple as drilling and tapping two holes in the N/S shock tower and bolting it down. Lovely. I'm going to buy a 90deg fitting for the left hand port as the line sits snug to the battery and I'd rather it didn't. 

IMG_0131.JPG

Extra vagueness achieved! The jpeg link doesn't work...