The Car Thread

MadManMike

12 hours ago, Jolfa said:

Would you not be better off just putting rubber bands on that ones bumpers and drive that instead? Same bleddy thing innit :P

It's not the same haha the whole point is I want a project and to splurge my money on. It's a pretty unique conversion too. Only heard of a handful of people doing it thus far on the net. 

3 hours ago, Danny said:

@dann2707 are you going to ship it al over the country in small pieces? Did you pay much? Should make a decent chunk back breaking it. 

I paid £1300 for my CRX drove it for 3 years. Made £900-1000 breaking it and still have the engine. 

I sure am. Already made £33 in 10 mins from two plastic parts from the interior! I paid a very silly price for it, genuinely couldn't believe it. I could probably sell it for 300% of the price it cost me.

Quick question. Sold a car a while ago and didn't have the V5 at the time, however the buyer claimed to be a trader and said they would take care of it. I've now just had an MID letter through stating I'm still the registered keeper etc

Since selling it I've changed phones and have no details for the buyer...

I can apply for the V5 I suppose but then how do I get it out of my name...?  

Just send a letter to the DVLA saying you no longer own the car, I usually go a bit OTT and write them a sad tale of a love lost and a parting of ways on whatever date :P

You'll get a letter back within a couple of weeks confirming it.

Edited by Jolfa

Bought a 1.6 focus to save some pennies a few months ago. Steering rack decided to start leaking today. And to rub salt into the wound, it hasn't been drastically cheaper to run then my 2.0 turbo. So it hasn't had a chance to pay for itself in savings yet.

4 hours ago, Boumsong said:

But I dont know the new keepers details its been that long..So how will they know what to change it to? 

They'll have to apply for a logbook to tax is, as you need the v5 or v11 number, so the new keeper will sort that out. As Rich says, just write to the DVLA saying you sold it but no longer have the new keepers details. It's exactly the same situation as if you do post the logbook but the post office or DVLA loose it, so they'll be used to it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TROYston said:

Whats the best steel grade/type for a roll cage? 

Whether you're planning to use it "officially" or otherwise, I tend to keep half an eye on FIA specs with stuff like this so you know that the material specs are up to scratch in terms of safety - just make sure that the fabrication etc is top notch to match (Y)

FIA Appendix J 2009, Article 253, p14

8.3.3 Material specifications
Only tubes with a circular section are authorised.

• Minimum Material: Cold Drawn Seamless Carbon Steel
• Minimum Yield Strength: 350 N/mm2
• Minimum Dimensions (Ø mm):
  • 45x2.5 or 50x2.0 (main rollbar or lateral rollbars)
  • 38x2.5 or 40x2.0 (lateral half-rollbars and other parts of the safety cage)

MSA Blue Book 2011, Section K, p156

27. Minimum CDS tube specifications are:

• Minimum Material: Cold Drawn Seamless Carbon Steel
• Minimum Yield Strength: 350 N/mm2
• Minimum Dimensions (Ø mm):
  • 45x2.5 or 50x2.0
  • 38x2.5 or 40x2.0 (for roll cages/bars approved prior to 1995)

FIA Appendix J, 2009, p14 + MSA Blue Book, 2009, p161
In selecting the steel, attention must be paid to obtaining good elongation properties and adequate weldability.

The tubing must be bent by a cold working process and the centreline bend radius
must be at least three times the tube diameter. If the tubing is ovalised during bending, the ratio of minor to major diameter must be 0.9 or greater.
  • Like 1

Just been pricing up a cage vs 'do it yourself', Curiously my grand-dad said to me today that i should cage the car, he's welded for a living for all his life and made cages for banger racing so guess he knows his shit... 

If i do it, i may aswell do it to proper specifications, Need to start looking at cage designing and such.
Anyone made their own before?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TROYston said:

Just been pricing up a cage vs 'do it yourself', Curiously my grand-dad said to me today that i should cage the car, he's welded for a living for all his life and made cages for banger racing so guess he knows his shit... 

If i do it, i may aswell do it to proper specifications, Need to start looking at cage designing and such.
Anyone made their own before?

Speak to jake hickey on Facebook. He's doing a clio one at the moment. Should be able to help you out 

• Like 1

CDS tube or T45 for the cage. Custom cages will do a complete cage all pre-bent for you that you just weld together yourself. When I looked at one for my EK9 it was around £500. 

In other news, I've replaced my daily. I now own 2 civic type R's, one an Ek9 the other is an Fn2.