Sidehop technique/strength question

niconj

3 hours ago, AndyT said:

leg day I had no spotter. 2 days later and I can still barely walk, I think it's just fine.

That's interesting. It seems as if you haven't done much weight training lately. I am sore for two days but not as much as you.

Edited by niconj

1 hour ago, isitafox said:

My legs usually kill for the best part of a week after hitting them in the gym. When I was riding regular I couldn't do much at all in the gym regarding legs or I'd be unable to ride!

Hm... I don't have this problem so much. I don't think I'm doing it wrong though as I work out with a spotter and kill my legs on the last set on Monday (Squats) and Friday (Deadlifts).

I was wondering about Jack and Vince. Do they hit the gym regularily or do they "just" ride? I think both could benefit of a real good workout routine for hops. The have the technique down so this would be the best way to improve on height imo.

edit: I saw Jacks preview video of some winter workout. He could really improve on his deadlift form -> makes me think that he has just started doing them. Weight may tell a different story. Would be interesting to se the weights he is able to lift. I vote for Damon instructing these two. :D

Edited by niconj
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, niconj said:

That's interesting. It seems as if you haven't done much weight training lately. I am sore for two days but not as much as you.

I've been doing the big three for a year... The reason I can't walk is because of the calf raises (which I never do), my left calf (my chocolate foot) is just like fused in pain... Getting better slowwwwly... Nothing else hurts, looking forward to next week- waking up today after the chest day yesterday, no problems.

I believe Vince was getting a degree in something to do with physiology or sports, this was 10 years ago... 

Jacks form scares the shit out of me in that video.

ten years ago when the coustelliers were hot shit all they did was ride ALL THE TIME and eat pasta. 

Kenny posts some interesting mor sport specific workout things on his Instagram, I think he would be a good personal trainer for trials.

andrei burton does some insane weights- he is an interesting Instagram to follow.

also- how old are you? I know when I was younger I could do much more weight and heal quickly... 

I don't know where Drei hides it. I remember him posting on FB last year that he hadn't done any chest work for months so had a go at flat bench and was pressing about 150kg straight off.

b*****d....

EDIT: Could have been the year before, just realised I've been off FB for nearly a year now.

Edited by isitafox

9 hours ago, niconj said:

Technique that I lack. Been doing side hops for a while now and only see slow progress. :( 

Just be happy that your riding today's cheater bikes... People who can't keep their feet on the pedals through a section can sidehop 3 feet.

18 years ago it took me 6 months of 2-3 hours a day riding to get rear wheel balance and control... Sidehopping from the rear wheel was unheard of, with today's geometry sidehopping from the rear wheel means you don't have to jump at all for 2-3 foot high object. Just cheat and put your front wheel on it like so many people I see. 

Sidehopping is my least favorite "move" and I still do it from both wheels when I can, as I see it to be the only true way... From rear wheel it's ok if you go to rear wheel, but to me anything to front is bullshit.

how long have you been sidehopping? I ride with people who still can't pedal kick after 6 years of riding, it takes a bit of time and dedication to get there but I'm sure you'll be there soon enough and enjoy the process- once you learn all the techniques you may fall to the dark side of trials... Inch hunting... Don't let it happen.

On 10.2.2016 at 11:19 AM, niconj said:

Well, jumping is about strength.

i don't think this anymore... on our level we can get on all the obstacles with just tucking the legs and a bit of sideways movement. at least as long as your obstacles are lower than your hips (which is quite high on a bike). skip the playmobilics and ride your bike more. get off the brakes and try to get more comfortable on the back wheel.

for me the sidehop became much more of a riding/ flicking the bike kind of motion, which is way more enjoyable than trying to yank the bike upwards - parallel and tight against the wall.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I had a little brake through. I dunno what it was (maybe the front squats @Ali C mentioned) but my technique felt so much different than other times. I went to a wall I am comfortable with and concentrated on leaving the rear brake open for a longer time than just a split second during the jump. It worked very well. I got on the wall easily AND the impact when landing on it was so much smoother. I also didn't fall over to the side I jumped to but stayed with both feet on the bike. Happy now... :)

Edited by niconj

• 4 weeks later...

Have been working on my sidehops a bit and the wall from the earlier video isn't that high anymore. Feels much better now even though in the video I lack explosiveness and also the rear brake is locked to early. When jumping lower walls I leave it open but as soon as it gets higher I kinda get back to my old habits.

Have been able to get onto this wall already but the camera wasn't on.

• Like 3

I have an unfortunate issue with a mental block, I have a photo somewhere of me doing a sidehop about 1 potato over my rolled back bars brakeless, and being 6 inches above the wall in the air. But I had a bunch of crashes Landing really hard on my back or side on the wall and now if I go for Anything above top cap, I get a cold feeling in my chest and put a leg Down before I jump. And when I do a top cap sidehop I barely preload or tuck because I can go sooo much higher. :( my standing vertical jump (2 feet on the ground to 2 feet on whatever it is I'm jumpin on) is 110cm.

Edited by Herbertlemon102

@niconj May I make an observation? You need to make a conscious effort straighten your arms, move your weight backwards and bend your knees when you are on the back wheel.

Currently you have (in the video above) straight legs with your arms bent in what I have christened a 'turkey arms' position (as in the bird, not the country), which is causing you to balance the bike on the high side of the balance point, which is causing the correction pedalling & hops. In conjunction, I would also strongly suggest that you move your brake lever angle upwards. This will lower the front wheel, increasing rear wheel control, balance, and overall power.

From what i have seen when I mention this in person, people then naturally start tucking down towards the centre-rear of the bike, which is the part that compresses the tyre on preload. This in turn sees results in sidehop height and gapping abilty within a ride or 2.

It's not like your technique is bad as it is, but they are the things that scream out at me, when watching that clip, as limiting factors. :)

• Like 1

On 19/03/2016 at 6:06 PM, niconj said:

Edit: What is wrong with the turkey arms position?

bildschirmfoto-2015-11-07-um-12-10-40-pn

From a techincal sense, nothing. It's an easier way of balancing, hopping and turning around on the backwheel, especially when overly upright/vertical, but it's no good for power.

What I feel you are not taking into account in that pic is that the bike is on the low side of the balance point, i.e. the front wheel is trying to drop and the rear wheel roll backwards, with body weight/position being used as a conterweight and slight pedal pressure being applied.

In your clip you were above the BP & weren't counterweighting the front end weight. It's something I've noticed that people do when they've just learned how to sit on the backwheel (especially when self taught), or they are small with less weight, like a young rider, or that they've only ever learned that way (again usually self taught) & it's never been pointed out before.

Also having watched yer man ride in person, he's the best preload technique I can think of, putting loads of energy into compressing the rear tyre, and on that day doing 50in+, sometimes to back wheel, with a well blown Echo SL FW. The V2 he had in blackpool had an extra kg of weight in tube thickness over the production one, mainly in the downtube, so it didn't rip in half, actually like how my mates production V2 died - it peeled open backwards like a ringpull, mid sidehop preload. :lol:

Sidehops and doing gaps still at somepoint mean straightening your arms, bending your knees and tucking down to the tyre, no way round it.

Short version: He's got his arse over the rear axle and the front end low, in that clip above you have your arse aligned with the brake booster and the front end too high with the bars into your belly, and you trying to teabag your topcap. :P It's all losing preload tuck!

Edited by CC12345678910
  • Like 1

@niconj

Firsty on preload (pause at 0.11) your wrists look at a weird angle cause (IMO) your brake levers need to come up a mm or 2mm. It will have felt fine beforehand with the upright stance but now your losing pop because its now restricting how far your front wheel drops down. That'll be most of the weirdness.

And secondly... Well, style is obviously subjective, so you'll have to study the vids back to back a couple of times and make your own decision. I think once you get over the the weirdness it will feel better, meaning you'd commit properly not take your foot off and boss it :) Personally I'd say the 2nd vid is way better, and that I'd try the same thinking on gaps as well, I bet you've probably improved there too and not even realised.

I mean I can tell from the vid you were hesitant and you pissed over the height you were struggling at in the other vid by like an inch already, when it felt weird and shit, so in trial rider maths thats like a 2inch improvement :tongue:

Edited by CC12345678910