Trials Only Online Auction System (poll Now Added!)

531joshua

Name / Identity / URL  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• http://www.trials-auctions.co.uk/
    • http://www.biketrialsauctions.co.uk/
    • http://www.cycletrialsauctions.co.uk/
    • http://www.thisideaisnevergoingtowork.co.uk/

had a go at this a while back - making a website dedicated to enabling users to sell and buy cycle trials products.

it failed, and for more reasons than one.

anyway, i'm planning on trying out a new one , but putting more time / thought / effort into it.

rather than rushing into it as i did last time, i want to try and build it all up step by step.

first off, mainly why i made this topic, i need a decent name. something that will identify the service for what it is, and make it individual.

second - i need some opinions if possible. what you guys / girls think of the idea and whether you'd bother using the site and so on ...

so what im looking for is any thoughts / ideas / suggestions / comments etc etc on this matter.

also, if you have any good ideas for a name / service identification, please feel free to add.

any help much appreciated.

Edited by 531joshua

A few nice ideas might be:

Unlimited listing time - Can set a quick auction say 24 hours, or a longer one of 7 days or have an unlimited amount of time set at a rate of say 0.1% of the sale price is paid for the listing per day it is listed.

Feedback system - People can earn a reputation etc like ebay

Featured Auctions - Pay more to have your auction listed at the top of the lists when searching or browsing

Non Trials - Make it all cycling related, not as broad as ebay, but then it will have enough following from the cycling community, if you had BMX, Roadie, XC, DH, DJ, Trials you would get more customers.

Just a few for now, I am going to bed.

I think it is a good idea, a lot of people on here will moan saying "classifieds is good enough", personally I do not think it is, as within 1 hour your topic can be off the first page.

It will need more than 1 person to run it though, you will need a small team really, also might be worth looking into buying a script for auctions or finding an open source one (which I would reccomend) as there may be a lot of community additions for it that may be useful, also the documentation generally seems better and it is a lot easier to modify as you are allowed complete access to it all.

Another thing is that it will need A LOT of planning to actually pull it off, sit down with pen and paper and design it all, how your planning on having it all laid out, what will be on what page, how many pages, how to avoid duplication etc. I know this from my computing projects, a lot easier if you plan it all, and comment everything and document it so if you are 6 months down the line, find some code and are unsure what it does you can check it out.

Good luck though.

I honestly wouldn't try to re-invent the wheels, there is atleas 4-5 different trials niche website ideas ready for the picking that could easily be successful, and a few ideas that haven't been done in any other sport yet either so there is room for expansion.

I would say the keys things are to have a catchy name, and a proffesional look. If people go on to the website and see a very simple boring website they won't be to enthusiastic about using it but if you go on and you think wow this looks really cool then its got a bigger chance of working. Also a idea is that while the website is still gathering its legs and getting well know instead of like ebay paying to list something have it so it takes a cut out of the forsale price or something similar that way at first people will be encouraged to use it because they know that if it doesnt sell ( which many won't at first while the website is new) it hasnt cost them.

I would say the keys things are to have a catchy name, and a proffesional look. If people go on to the website and see a very simple boring website they won't be to enthusiastic about using it but if you go on and you think wow this looks really cool then its got a bigger chance of working. Also a idea is that while the website is still gathering its legs and getting well know instead of like ebay paying to list something have it so it takes a cut out of the forsale price or something similar that way at first people will be encouraged to use it because they know that if it doesnt sell ( which many won't at first while the website is new) it hasnt cost them.

if i do infact pull this off in any way, it will be free to list items.

thanks for all the feedback.

keep it coming :)

Call it T-BAY :lol:

Sorry, just no-one else had said it yet. :$

Sounds alright, i'd probably use it... well if it was up and running i would use it.

You are definately going to need to keep users information safe. Have them verify postal addresses as well before allowing them to buy/sell, just so theres no repurcussions if someone sends a recorded item and the recipient says "well i never got it". If its sent to the verified address and the tracking number says its arrived its far easier to get it sorted than just sending it to any old address.

Non Trials - Make it all cycling related, not as broad as ebay, but then it will have enough following from the cycling community, if you had BMX, Roadie, XC, DH, DJ, Trials you would get more customers.

www.cycleauctions.co.uk

i have spoken to the guy who runs this quite often in the past as I work for Cycling Weekly and MBR, and I reckon that if you talked to him about helping out with some design (which he admits isnt his strong point) then you could probably get the fulfillment of making that one better.

J

thanks for all the help and advice so far.

now im looking for a name / identity.

i don't know if this will work too well, but once a few people have offered some decent ideas for a name, i could make a poll and have a vote for the best name ?

anyway, some of the names mentioned so far have been quite good! thanks.

so if you have a good idea for a name / indentity for this service, please feel free to add it.

any more help etc much appreciated :)

would definatly use it, wouldnt have to go through all the personal messages trying to get peoples details,

www.trials-auctions.com???

edit: or co.uk :P

edit2: www.biketrialsauctions.com/co.uk

sounds ok - but i need to keep it kind of open

as in, i need a name thats more universal.

www.biketrialsauctions.co.uk is reffering to bike trials ONLY.

and as of yet i'm not sure whether i'm going to be making the site to serve motorcycle trials / cycle trials / cycling in general or all 3. maybe more

thanks for the input though

any more ideas for a good name / brand ?

thanks for any input

That cycleauctions website is a right mess you just get confused as soon as you on it where stuff is and how to use it. So learn from that and you want to make sure its simple and looks good making people wanting to use it like ebay as you go on and it looks proffesional but really easy to use. You could also have it linked to paypal like ebay and also a feedback system on it. And allow members to select they have sent a product or recieved it or payed for it ect so then things can be kept track of if a sale goes tits up. Also a good thing would be if you could ban people if they are scams ect, could you do this by banning there ip address somehow so they just cant set up another account. To get this to work really well theres a awful lot to do and i think you should get everything totally built and done and perfect and then bring it out unlike your last one which looked like a simple one that had been done in ten min just to see how well it worked.

Would it be any different to eBay in the way it works?

Also, make sure all the legal/contractual stuff is tight (goes without saying) and make sure that it is all clear to people as they are using it, nice and easy to understand T&Cs.

Would it be any different to eBay in the way it works?

Also, make sure all the legal/contractual stuff is tight (goes without saying) and make sure that it is all clear to people as they are using it, nice and easy to understand T&Cs.

a lot. if i get around to launching this idea as a website, it will be nothing in comparison to ebay, whether that is in terms of security / privacy stuff or features available on the site such as rich text editor, advanced picture upload etc etc.

although i'm hopeing to achieve highly if all goes to plan, i doubt, even with a team of 10, that a site half as good as ebay could be pulled off at first.

anyway, anyone got any ideas for a name, still need to get that one sorted!

thanks in advance.

i would't use 'www.trials-auctions.com' becuase people may think it will be for motor trials.

biketrialsauctions gets my vote, and i would deffently use it if theres no fee's.

just wondering how you will make any money out of this idea?

another name idea, bike-trials-auctions.co.uk, what you think?

edit: ha ha, thats the one i voted for lol

change biketrialsauctions to biketrials-auctions (Y)

Edited by elcristoff-t-pro

I chose that one cos of the way that trials-auctions.co.uk is a lot like trials-forum.co.uk... presumably it would be possible to have some kind of connection between them? Have you talked to the admins?

lol no. If there was going to be any sort of 'connection' it would involve me giving money to the admins.

That isn't going to be happening any time soon :P

Keep voting on the name thing please everyone.

Need as much idea on this as is possible, just to try and come out with the best result overall.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

i would't use 'www.trials-auctions.com' becuase people may think it will be for motor trials.

biketrialsauctions gets my vote, and i would deffently use it if theres no fee's.

just wondering how you will make any money out of this idea?

another name idea, bike-trials-auctions.co.uk, what you think?

edit: ha ha, thats the one i voted for lol

change biketrialsauctions to biketrials-auctions (Y)

As I have already said, if i pull anything off, plan is that it's going to be for at least cycle and motorcycle trials.

Hence why I need a decent, universal name.

Thanks.

EDIT: There will 100% be no fees. How I benefit is another matter :P

Edited by 531joshua