Broken Ankle :(

Danny Kearns

Hey guys. Well. Been going my biggest to film for my new video. Went abit silly today, went for the drop gap, f**ked up in air, landed, went straight through bb and snapped my ankle :(.

No riding for atleast 6 weeks.

So the video will be on hold for a long time, so don't wait :P.

They said it might never be right again now seeing as this is the 2nd time of breaking it :(.

I MIGHT not be able to ride Trials or do any extreme sport again according to Hospital :(.

Just thought i'd let you guys know.

All the best.

Danny xxx

Ive sprained this ankle 5 times before though and broke it seriously bad once before, they said youve really gone and done it now, this could be very serious, your pins look as though they have snapped into your bone, we'l struggle to fix this, if the opp doesnt go to plan, you will never be able to do an extreme sport again. :(

Danny :(

Ive sprained this ankle 5 times before though and broke it seriously bad once before, they said youve really gone and done it now, this could be very serious, your pins look as though they have snapped into your bone, we'l struggle to fix this, if the opp doesnt go to plan, you will never be able to do an extreme sport again. :(

Danny :(

Meh, amputate it and ride on the stump?

I MIGHT not be able to ride Trials or do any extreme sport again according to Hospital :(.

I'm no doctor, but that's bollox!

You'll be back if you want to be...

Anyway, 6 weeks, pahhh!! I'm on my 62nd week now :P

Get well mate. Nothing you can do about not riding, so don't be pissed off. Just be excited that in a couple of months you will be back (Y)

bongo

Hey guys. Well. Been going my biggest to film for my new video. Went abit silly today, went for the drop gap, f**ked up in air, landed, went straight through bb and snapped my ankle :(.

No riding for atleast 6 weeks.

So the video will be on hold for a long time, so don't wait :P.

They said it might never be right again now seeing as this is the 2nd time of breaking it :(.

Just thought i'd let you guys know.

All the best.

Danny xxx

Hey Dude.

I'm in the same boat. I fell and severed every ligament, plus severe nerve, muscle and tendon damage to my left knee about 5 weeks ago now. Worst Injury my hospital has ever seen on a knee. Have to have 2 sets of surgery to rebuild the knee. Had the 1st and within 4 days of the op I was walking with crutches, and now 2 weeks down the line I'm riding a bike. Went to London yest and photgraphed some street riding with friends. Doctors said it'll be at least a good few months till i can ride again. I can walk unaided with my leg support on now, and without I'm completely comfortable on 1 crutch. According to the doctor's I'm recovering quicker than thy ever thought I would. Just goes to show you that doctor's aren't always right. i may never be able to ride trials again, but I'm going to be able to ride a bike and walk, so I'm glad enough for that. It's the pyschological side that is the hardest, and trying to stay motivated and positive.

You never know what the future may hold, so I wish you the very best of luck in your recovery.

Darren

Hey Dude.

I'm in the same boat. I fell and severed every ligament, plus severe nerve, muscle and tendon damage to my left knee about 5 weeks ago now. Worst Injury my hospital has ever seen on a knee. Have to have 2 sets of surgery to rebuild the knee. Had the 1st and within 4 days of the op I was walking with crutches, and now 2 weeks down the line I'm riding a bike. Went to London yest and photgraphed some street riding with friends. Doctors said it'll be at least a good few months till i can ride again. I can walk unaided with my leg support on now, and without I'm completely comfortable on 1 crutch. According to the doctor's I'm recovering quicker than thy ever thought I would. Just goes to show you that doctor's aren't always right. i may never be able to ride trials again, but I'm going to be able to ride a bike and walk, so I'm glad enough for that. It's the pyschological side that is the hardest, and trying to stay motivated and positive.

You never know what the future may hold, so I wish you the very best of luck in your recovery.

Darren

You wanna invest in a cycle machine and regularily go swimming when you get outta hospital to strengthen and condition all your trial specific muscles, joints, and ligaments. its a shame M.Ashton is not a forum member, as he know what its like go through the healing process after breaking his back some years back. esspecially being a pro rider earning a living from riding bikes. he must of went through mental hell being stuck in a hospital bed for months on end, being stuck i a wheelchair for more months on end. so if any one trials rider should be able to provide support its him. if you wanna cross over to extremes in terms of body damage and recovery, look no further than Matt Hoffman. hes been through it all. get his autobio and read it through to the end...

You wanna invest in a cycle machine and regularily go swimming when you get outta hospital to strengthen and condition all your trial specific muscles, joints, and ligaments. its a shame M.Ashton is not a forum member, as he know what its like go through the healing process after breaking his back some years back. esspecially being a pro rider earning a living from riding bikes. he must of went through mental hell being stuck in a hospital bed for months on end, being stuck i a wheelchair for more months on end. so if any one trials rider should be able to provide support its him. if you wanna cross over to extremes in terms of body damage and recovery, look no further than Matt Hoffman. hes been through it all. get his autobio and read it through to the end...

He is, he regularly browses the forum and writes in his column for mbuk about "what we've said" (his exagerated version though) in different topics.

Edited by Krisboats

just seems your trying to go too big too soon without getting the fundamentals down first (wouldnt have messed up in the air then). Seen a few friends who could barley trackstand yet they had the idea they needed to huck themselves off big walls, your not as bad as them obviously, but its kinda the impression I get.

yer i kinda agree a little with what ali is saying dan (dont tell him i said that), but seriously you dont have to go off real high things to be a decent rider.....you obviously have the balls, which i wish i did, but a little consideration for yourself and your riding wouldnt go a miss.

Dont get angry at what im sayin, just something i think. Its all well and good trying to go big, but those who are at the top of that game (damon and tunni) do it with grace in comparison to some riders (myself included), thats what sets them out from the rest of us.

Just have a think about it, recover from your ankle injury, and consider that maybe you dont need to be 10ft off the ground to gap that far, and find some gaps that are slightly harder because the drop between them is so good.

Also, as your probably going to go back and try that gap again (i would as well), get a better shot of it, your so far away from it, it looks pish. :P

Hey Dude.

Darren

So from what you've said, you've clearly, amongst other things, had an ACL reconstruction, as the ACL holds 90% of the knee's stability. What kind of reconstruction have you had?? What donar was used for it, and what's your rehab plan???

I hate to sound off, but i don't believe what you're saying, as i'm going through it, and after a year of research before it, i know an awful lot about it, and i know that what you are claiming, doesn't lne up with anything int he UK or US post op rehab programs. In fact, you're about 6 months out of sync...

yer i kinda agree a little with what ali is saying dan (dont tell him i said that), but seriously you dont have to go off real high things to be a decent rider.....you obviously have the balls, which i wish i did, but a little consideration for yourself and your riding wouldnt go a miss.

Dont get angry at what im sayin, just something i think. Its all well and good trying to go big, but those who are at the top of that game (damon and tunni) do it with grace in comparison to some riders (myself included), thats what sets them out from the rest of us.

Just have a think about it, recover from your ankle injury, and consider that maybe you dont need to be 10ft off the ground to gap that far, and find some gaps that are slightly harder because the drop between them is so good.

Also, as your probably going to go back and try that gap again (i would as well), get a better shot of it, your so far away from it, it looks pish. :P

Ben. I agree with you on some of that but im probably going sound like a complete arsehole here. I can't afford to keep my bike running anymore. I need a sponser i really do. Thats why im pushing myself as far as i can go and going as big as that, because thats what sponsors look for (i think). It may seem as though im not riding trials for fun. But i just can't afford it anymore.

May sound a little sad i know. But it's just the way it is :(

Thanks for your support guys. Means alot.

Danny.

Ben. I agree with you on some of that but im probably going sound like a complete arsehole here. I can't afford to keep my bike running anymore. I need a sponser i really do. Thats why im pushing myself as far as i can go and going as big as that, because thats what sponsors look for (i think). It may seem as though im not riding trials for fun. But i just can't afford it anymore.

May sound a little sad i know. But it's just the way it is :(

Thanks for your support guys. Means alot.

Danny.

I know what you mean here Danny :(

Its so harsh that this had to happen :( I just hope that you take your time, let everything heal properly and then eventually get back on the bike ;)

lol, thats a different way of looking at it.

surly going big costs more than going smaller and smoother, everyone wants to be the next cls, tunny or damon, but they have made it hard for the rest of the tgs riders to get noticed as they go so big. Going smaller and being smooth with your own style is more attractive to potentiol sponsors, plus its kinder on the bike and will cost less in repairs.

Also, going smooth doesnt mean you'll always be doing small moves.....look at Stan, he can gap over 9ft flat and never rim out, he can go REALLY big, but I dont think I have ever seen him snap a part, in my eyes thats the way to go riding wise.

There is no one thing a sponsor looks for...

I know riders whoa ren't particularly good, but their attitude is so appealing to other riders and people looking at bmx, that they present a brilliant image for the particular companies that support them, and they advertise the companies well, by attending events and bringing their attitude with them. The riding is obviously pretty good, but they are more known for the personalities. And nobody would ever deem them not worth of the sponsorhip.

Then i know people who couldn't string a sentence together, but can ride the clappers, and other sponsors support them too.

Different companies look for different things.

Think of it as a business venture. There are 30 toaster companies that toast 4 pieces at once. If you want to be succesful, would you make another that was the same?? Becasue in effect, that's what you're trying to do. Take a step back and, if you're actively seeking sponsorship, look at what ISN'T about in trials. It seems everyone goes big at the moment. There is a great lack of making it look good lately. If you get a 20 foot gap, nobody seems to give a toss how it's done. If i was to try to get some sponsors in trials, i'd take the route of street/bmx style. (although i'm not really into it, hence me stopping trials and riding bmx lol, but this is where trials is inevitably going, afterall, there is only so far you can gap, drop and up, so to stop trials reaching a limit, you have to eventually involve bmx style tricks and lines amongst the staple trials 'moves')

Anyway, if i couldn't afford my bike, i wouldn't start f**king myself up to get a sponsor, i'd get a job...

Never f**k yourself up under pressure, as your injury time is spent annoyed. f**k yourself up becasue you really wanted to try the trick, for no reason other than you wanted to, then you can never ever regret the consequences.

Bongo

I know what you mean here Danny :(

I think a lot of that stems from the fact neither of you have a job! You've both finished your gcse's, its summer and you still have no job.... then complain about not being able to afford trials. I hate to sound inconsiderate here but there is only one way to say it.

If you can't be arsed to work, how are you going to afford anything in life?

I know you probably don't want to hear this as its rubbing salt in the wound a bit now... but what did that drop gap actually acheive? You won't get sponsored for it, you can't ride, and now if you do go to get a job your going to find getting there will be difficult.

I know your both only wanting to keep riding and your both great mates, but theres hundreds of people who CAN afford trials on top of other things like going out clubbing and they aren't sponsored. Purely for the fact they don't just sit around on msn and watching riding videos in between going riding. You may not like your job, but it takes the pressure off this whole "i need to get good to get sponsored" approach, which i can only imagine will bring the fun back into riding. Sorry to pick on you here jonny but you quite often say something along the lines of "i've put so much work into my riding", you make it sound like its not fun for you anymore, as though you don't go out on rides to have a laugh with your friends and play on your bike but go out in order to train for sponsorship. I just can't help but feel that your both looking at sponsorship for the wrong reasons. If you were to put the same amount of effort into finding a job you would find one much faster than you would a sponsor, and you'd have an income that you can spend on anything you want... not just trials. Riding shouldn't be a chore, it should be fun.... i just think you've gotten confused somewhere along the line :(