Banksy Print For Sale

GlynnP

Dont know who has seen this but i find it amusing

If you dont know the story in brief this is whats going on

Banksy did an art piece on the side of building so now the owner of the building is cashing in by selling this piece of wall.

Just find it funny how much money people are willing to pay for a piece of art.

Taking into account you have to take the wall down without damaging the piece and then pay for the wall to be rebuilt for the guy.

Current bids are at £205,100.00 Plus the about £5000 to have it rebuilt

Whats your thoughts

EDIT: forgot the link

LINK HERE

Edited by GlynnP

Banksy is a joke though....in theory (but i heavily doubt it these days) Banksy 'should' be heavily offended by this act and against it, for it is making his work what he professed it would never be. However, saying that he's pretty much a sell out who doesn't stick by his strongly worded beliefs so he may well be in on this cashing in. one things right though.... its damn amusing, and please lets not compare Banksy to Picasso, not just because i think its an insult, but Banksy was the one eho said his 'work' would never be art!

I think it's quality that this guy is selling it. I find all this 'I do it for the expressionism not the cash' bollocks highly irritating. At the end of the day I think everyones driven by money to an extent. Look at Damien Hurst for example, didnt he sell that piece of diamond skull 'art' for £50m, and Banksy has been selling his stuff to celebrities for extortionate amounts for a while hasn't he? It's about time somone took this stuff for what it really is... illegal graffiti and made some easy money, just like the 'artist' have been doing for yonks. Good on him.

Edited by James

Why are some people being such dicks? Banksy doesn't do graff for the sake of it, many of his peices a strong message which is available to anyone who walks past and see's what work hes done.... he sells paintings so hes cashing in, why shouldn't the bloke to owns the wall make some dollar as well? Many of his works are being painted over of least this way it preserves the art work and the man makes some dollar.... happy days

innit lol, try 5 times that much...

i dont really agree with selling it to be honest, its something thats been made for the public and its getting taken away from us so some rich guy can have it in his dining room or whatever. although to be honest id probably do the same...

Banksy is a joke though....in theory (but i heavily doubt it these days) Banksy 'should' be heavily offended by this act and against it, for it is making his work what he professed it would never be. However, saying that he's pretty much a sell out who doesn't stick by his strongly worded beliefs so he may well be in on this cashing in. one things right though.... its damn amusing, and please lets not compare Banksy to Picasso, not just because i think its an insult, but Banksy was the one eho said his 'work' would never be art!

There's nothing Banksy can do about it, and if you look a little closer at how Banksy sells his pieces (e.g. in that Oxford St stre, and the place in LA), it's more about him subverting the celebrity/art culture rather than selling out to it.

Selling a piece with "I can't believe you'll buy this shit" for many thousands of dollars = genius.

Banksy is a legend in my eyes. And you can't really blame this guy for selling it but i do agree with Joe that Banksy has put this on the streets rather then on canvas so that everyone can see it, which selling it spoils. I'd also be really annoyed if someone sold a piece i had done on a wall for more money i'll ever see in my life though haha. But Banksy has done well for himself anyway i guess.

The only thing that annoys me about Banksy (well, not about Banksy but what other people think of him) is how much attention he gets when there are so many artists who do amazing street art yet will go un-noticed their whole lives. People market him as some massive, original, founder of street art type guy when this is nothing new. But then again, this happens in all types of art and everything else, and Banksy deserves it for how well he's publicised himself and how much effort he puts in.

I don't personally think he's sold out either. Someone who had sold out would be doing only legal walls and canvases, not creeping round Portabello Road in the middle of the night with the police on their back. Selling canvases is just a way to help get his message to other types of people rather then just the typical people who would take note of street art.