Macmahone Hubs

streetjibs

they dont have a uk distributor and you have to buy tehm as a wheel(set) which at about 1100euros for the dh/fr wheelset, they arent cheap. but my god do they look awesome. i want some, would look sooooo nice on the intense.

shame they dont use standard spokes and sell the hubs seperately.....

• 3 weeks later...
industryninehubsyp1.jpg

Internals of the Industry Nine freehub. I've never seen such big pawls before!

Details

6 huuuge pawls, each with 3 engagement points

60-teeth ratchet

pawls engage 3 at a time - it means 3x3 engagement at any time

120 eps

just bumping this topic in relation to the newer Superleggera hub with 120 clicks.

That is so clever, each pawl has 3 EPs...

Imagine a Try-All with that rachet and 9 of those pawls. I can't even begin to fathom how many engagement points it would have.

Rather academic cos it'd still blow up :P

That is so clever, each pawl has 3 EPs...

Imagine a Try-All with that rachet and 9 of those pawls. I can't even begin to fathom how many engagement points it would have.

The amount of EPs would be exactly the same. It would still engage 108 (with Try-all ratchet) or 120 (with Macmahone one) times per crank revolution. The only advantage of these "multi-pawls" is that the force is better distributed over the ratchet teeths so their wear rate is considerably lower. And probably also pawls last longer due to its size.

Edited by zordon

• 5 months later...

I'm currently running a Supperleggera on the back of my Giant Trance and it's phenomenally good. Instant pickup (Very slightly quicker than a King as the King has a little less backlash, but also less engagement points). The hub feels really solid and the bearings are extremely smooth and totally play free. I've only put a few hundred miles on it so far, but it's giving every indication of being a brilliant XC hub. If it runs for the next year or two and the ratchet pawls remain deformation free, I'll consider trying it on the trials bike. It's also pleasingly loud - like being chased by beeeees... :)

Internals of the Industry Nine freehub. I've never seen such big pawls before!

Details

6 huuuge pawls, each with 3 engagement points

60-teeth ratchet

pawls engage 3 at a time - it means 3x3 engagement at any time

120 eps

I want one of those for my jump bike lol.

A bit suspicious of the spoke idea, having nipples at either end.

edit: I don't think this hub comes with that though.

Edited by Revolver

They're not distributed to england, which sucks.

=/

Good old pro II it is then!

You don't need it. go to superstarcomponents.com and get the Superleggera 120 click hub. or contact Halo on their latest 120 click super DJ hub. When this topic was talked about last year, there where at least 5 bike companies in the process of developing, or bringing out a 120 click hub. so far two are availiable here in the uk.