Can V-brakes Be As Good As Disk

bradnutter

Hey i have a problem, my mate told me that disks were the best they worked in all conditions. But then my brother said that you could get v-brakes just as powerfull. So which one is better. And if the v-brakes are good can u give me advise about which one to buy.

Cheers

Personally I wouldn't trust a v-brake. I prefer to use hydraulic systems on both my brakes. I run a hope mono mini on the front and a magura HS33 on the rear. I have the HS33 water bled and use tar on my rim.

Jonny

Edited by jonny1988

theers lot of factor that determen how good vees,maggies,disc perofrm ,from how they are setup too the conditions that they work in.

yes vees can be as good as disc,and sometime even better.just check out videos of ali c ,he use vee's and they seem to work very well for him.

steve

vees have cable stretch, where as a hydraulic rim brake is very solid.

TO answer your question, discs are indeed better in terms of which is better for more conditions. However, vees give a more firm hold, and if you're riding trials i'd doubt you'd be riding in the rain because it reduces the grip your tyres can get.

So if you're stuck for choice between disc and vee, get the vee brake - avid single digit 7 or ultimate (Y)

Everyone who I know that has tried a Vee says they are better than maggy's, but you can't compare either to a disc, as they feel completely different.

A Disc has more modulation, and in my experience, more bite and hold, but the wheel flexes so you may prefer a rim brake as they feel more instant.

It depends on what end of the bike you are planning on running them:

Front:

Personal oppinion o prefer discs, just because they offer alot more modulation and work in allk weathers, you can get a vee brake to give you modulation but them you normaly tend to reduce the bite/hold, vee and modulation normaly means a smooth rim, add a grind into the equation and you get a brake that is seriously powerfull (bite and hold) but there will be very little modulation.

Rear:

Discs on the rear are very much personal prefference, some people like them because of thier silence, i have run all types of rear brakes and all of them have their strengths and weaknesses:

Vee, have stupid amount of hold but lack bite generaly, vees can be made silent on the rear easily when a booster is used.

Magura, Great bite but do not have as much hold as a vee, people may argue this but i am just under 20st and no magura has hold as well as a vee for me.

Disc, Silent, can be grabby but when run on a 26inch there is noticable spoke flex as the disc stops the hub and not the rim.

I am currently running a magura and i am liking it (after 1 year almost on a vee) I prefer the bite i can get from a magura and at the moment with Neco red pads on a light grind i seem to have suficient hold (not ridden on natural yet)

Adam

ive got one and love it...nicest stock frame ive ridden so far, ive got a little 85mm stem on it, and i can bunnyhop it, do all the rest of the streety stuff and still be awesome on the back wheel...i got mine for £50 posted so £60 posted is hardly a bad deal matey.

I personally run a magura front and back...heatsink reds on the back and koolstops on the front...

i run dual v and i am never going back to a magura unless something brakes on my ultimate.

i have used my v for months now and it is far better than any magura setup i have tried.

i dont know why people say they dont have bite they bite like a little b*****d, and mine has never sliped on anything even when a grind is running low and its wet.

also my mate quakers on here runs the same set up and his brake is so loud its unreal.