A Question About Family Cars / Small Vans

BONGO

Right, i need help to enable me to search for a new vehicle.

I am after a vehicle that will fit 2 motorbikes in. I know Mercedes Vito's do, but i'd rather not get one as the price i'm looking at (£4500 max) doesn't really get me one i'd be happy with.

I'm looking at Berlingo's, but i want to know of others to look for. i don't actually know what to look for which kind of hinders my chances of getting one!

Basically, i'm after a 5 seater, that ideally, i could remove the seats to allow a massive space to fit the 2 bikes in the back. Fiat multipla's, Picasso' etc etc.

Help!!!

Don't think they are long enough for bikes. And it wouldn't be tall enough with the roof.

I think your best bets a tranny van or something similar with seats in the back. Pretty much no way you're going to fit 2 motorbikes in the back of a family car.

Don't think they are long enough for bikes. And it wouldn't be tall enough with the roof.

they'r long enough for trials motorbikes, my mate can get two gas gas's in the back of his, but not with the roof thingy on.

Yeah thanks, thing is thought i want it enclosed, otherwise i may as well get a trailer really.

I want an enclosed vehicle so that i have a changing room, a bed at night if we want to kip over at the track etc etc.

transit with seats in the back. loads of room and the ones with seats in the back have seatbelts etc so its all safe. they normally have 3 seats in the back and 3 in the front so it should be fine and even with the seats in the back they are still really big.

Edited by tom perkins

I strongly doubt 5 door cars like the Multipla or Picasso would have room for the 2 motorbikes plus somewhere for you to sleep. Even the 7 seater Galaxy (with the back back seats removed) would not give sufficient room I'd say from looking in ours. These sort of cars have great headroom and space for taking people around, but their curved cabins and ceiling height are nothing compared to a flat walled and high roofed van of some kind.

galaxy.jpg

Steve

assuming its for road bikes?

if its going to be for everyday use,get something that common rail direct injection, otherwise your looking at crappy performance, and crappy economy.

if your not lugging weight, get a vivaro/traffic van. either the 5 seat option, or just get some seats stuck in the back yourself (another 2 seat bench out of any van, will be fine, itll have in built belts and pre tensioners, vauxhall specification for aftermarket fitting of the seats is 12mm plus ply and 2 inch washers(altho for safety, id suggest just mounting a plate under the ply, as opposed to washers.

i have a rather big van experience,working on, with the sale of, and a lot of mx/tradesman mates run vans.

id never in the world suggest a vivaro as a working van, for carrying weight round, and abusing, there useless, but for a comfy, car like experience, that doesnt mind lugging 500kg of bikes around on a weekend, munching up the miles, and returning a pretty good fuel economy, you cant go wrong with a vauxhall vivaro. ?

youll pick up a straight, early vivaro, with average mileage, for about £4200. and thatd be like an 02/52 plater.

I've got a mate who swears by VW Caddys. Carries 4 mountain bikes with no wheels removed - how long are MTBs compared with motorbikes? It might just be long enough? They're obviously a bit smaller than your average transit van, but that makes them easier to drive and more economical. Just an option.

I'd have a VW Transporter or a Vito I reckon. Rob Poyser (I think) was selling a vito on here a while back, I think it was £4k he wanted.

EDIT: http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....howtopic=115002

£4.5k. Pretty high mileage though.

My mates dad has got a motorbike shop and a short wheelbase, low top tranny van, he can get 2 trials bikes in, (motorbikes), pretty easily so I'm guessing 2 road bikes would be fine, just got to think about the sticky out bits, like handle bars and footpegs.

They are pretty cheap to buy I think, but not to run, theirs is 10 years old and it's still going strong.

T4 Transporter - may be out of your budget but they are so damn nice for a van!

I trust anything VW too, they just make great vehicles!

Get the longer wheelbase one. We have them at work, and you could box off the section where the sliding side door is so that just the back is for bikes, and the sliding bit can be sleeping etc. Like tardis's them things.

Go to your Local Auctions ect.

A friend of mine got an EX BT LDV van for about your budget.

Being Ex BT it had full history ect, and was well looked after.

Also its huge, we have already had 1 motorbike in it with enough room for another + bed ect aswell.

His even has a sink/wash are in 1 of the rear doors, Fully boarded load space with shelving units and an orange light on the roof.

Im not sure about your way but theres a Van Dealers down here that specialzes in these sorts of vans, and Ex big company vans are usually well kitted out.

Being Ex BT it had full history ect, and was well looked after.

(Y)

Although, BT are shit at looking after vans! Sure when the mechanics get hold of a van they do a sound job, but most vans never get to the mechanic in the first place!!! Definately not regularly anyway!

People hav this strange thought that BT and other large companies look after their vans really well. They're only leased vans, and only for 3 years too! BT don't really give a toss!

hehe. I work for BT too fishy! Kev's a lazy b*****d i know that much :P :P None of my van's, or anyone's vans on any team i've ever worked on have been maintained well!! The garage have done their job when asked, but the problem is most of the lads don't give a f**k about the vans enough to even get them into the garage to be maintained!

hehe. I work for BT too fishy! Kev's a lazy b*****d i know that much :P :P None of my van's, or anyone's vans on any team i've ever worked on have been maintained well!! The garage have done their job when asked, but the problem is most of the lads don't give a f**k about the vans enough to even get them into the garage to be maintained!

Got a text off him, something along the lines of 'todays work includes lord of war dvd and as much tea as i can drink'. Bless him.

(Y)

Although, BT are shit at looking after vans! Sure when the mechanics get hold of a van they do a sound job, but most vans never get to the mechanic in the first place!!! Definately not regularly anyway!

People hav this strange thought that BT and other large companies look after their vans really well. They're only leased vans, and only for 3 years too! BT don't really give a toss!

Thats what I was thinking, it's the same at my dads work, they write off 2 vans a day but because they're only leased they don't really care. the work guys take the vans anywhere and don't go slow either. one guy last week drove along a road with his eyes closed and no hands on the steering wheel when he came to a bend he just carried on straight through a fence down a 8 ft drop into a ploughed field through the field and out the gate back onto the road just to scare the apprentice :lol:

big company vans are a no go really unless you find a really mint looking one.