Thick Steerer Tubes & Hollow Star Nuts

DGrabiec

All of the new thick aluminum steerer tubes seem to need a 1" star nut so a conventional hollow star nut probably won't work (unless someone has actually managed to fit one in). Anyways, I love having my front brake go through my steerer and this isn't a problem right now since I have a PX Fork with a thin steel steerer. Although I'm planning on getting a new fork with the thick aluminum steerer and was wondering how I'll be able to run my front cable through. The only option someone suggested was this....

Edit: DNA hollow headlock DNA's Site

AC286L.JPG

.... but I can't find the 280mm version ANYWHERE.... If somebody could help me find it, that it would solve my problem.

Although I'm open to any suggestions on what other people have done!!

Thanks

Edited by DGrabiec

in my experiance 1" star nuts are still a tight fit on deng forks at the best of times,so i doubr you'll be able to run the cab through unles yo remove a flange thing from the star nit and run the hose down the side of the steerer tube.

steve

Thats a brilliant idea, I'd just do that. Snap two of the tabs off, and drill a hole through the topcap.

Thats a brilliant idea, I'd just do that. Snap two of the tabs off, and drill a hole through the topcap.

Nah, if it's a really thick steerer there won't be enough space to the side. I've tried.

Someone did an awesome bodge where they drilled a hole through the bottom of the stem and steerer (just above the top headset race). Run the cable through there - it goes under the star nut! I'm not sure if I explained that very well. Also you have to be pretty brave to drill a hole through your steerer tube :P

Just a quick point about the 280mm version... Looking at the site, I'm pretty sure they've got the pictures back to front- the AC-286L is available in 210mm or 280mm but is an M8 and not hollow i.e. the bottom pic. The AC-286HL is the one you're after which is hollow but, if the description's right, is only available in 210mm length, hence why you can't find a 280mm version...

Just a quick point about the 280mm version... Looking at the site, I'm pretty sure they've got the pictures back to front- the AC-286L is available in 210mm or 280mm but is an M8 and not hollow i.e. the bottom pic. The AC-286HL is the one you're after which is hollow but, if the description's right, is only available in 210mm length, hence why you can't find a 280mm version...

I just managed to contact them and they said they stopped producing them about 3 years ago unfortunately (N) ....

I was thinking maybe I could get a normal headlock such as this...

17766.jpg

.... and drilling a slit in the top cap and maybe there is enough room to fit a cable through the bottom. Since the bottom bolt isn't completely round I might be able to fit it ....

So a new question: Does anybody know If there would be enough room to fit a cable through the bottom of the headlock?

I just managed to contact them and they said they stopped producing them about 3 years ago unfortunately (N) ....

I was thinking maybe I could get a normal headlock such as this...

17766.jpg

.... and drilling a slit in the top cap and maybe there is enough room to fit a cable through the bottom. Since the bottom bolt isn't completely round I might be able to fit it ....

So a new question: Does anybody know If there would be enough room to fit a cable through the bottom of the headlock?

I'm guessing no. Purely because (if you are going for something like deng forks) where the steerer is welded to the crown you get a tight bum hole-esque thing happening.

I used to run a headlock and had to batter the bottom bit into the crown of the forks is was that tight a fit.

Think I've explained it there......

I'm guessing no. Purely because (if you are going for something like deng forks) where the steerer is welded to the crown you get a tight bum hole-esque thing happening.

I used to run a headlock and had to batter the bottom bit into the crown of the forks is was that tight a fit.

Think I've explained it there......

Yeah I am planning on a deng fork.... the Echo urban to be exact. Any other ideas anyone??

Run longer brake lines so you can give the bars a full spin without snagging anything? That'd be the very simplest solution. Another option would be to drill out part of the star nut (They're a weird small size in the urban forks, the steerer is so thick) and top cap and run the cable through there. Since the start nut basically does nothing once the stem is tightened it's not a structural worry like putting a hole in the steerer tube would be...

Another option would be to drill out part of the star nut (They're a weird small size in the urban forks, the steerer is so thick) and top cap and run the cable through there. Since the start nut basically does nothing once the stem is tightened it's not a structural worry like putting a hole in the steerer tube would be...

That seems to be one of the best solutions so far. Could somebody please check their urbans or similar fork to see if there would be enough room to fit a cable through the side of the starnut if i were to remove a flange.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Ive got a brand new, unused dna headlock at home that you can have :)

What front brake are you using because you wont get a hope hydro cable through it, neither will you get a magura hose through unless you put a new olive on afterwards.

I can check the length if you want, I dont want anything for it but not sure how much postage is likely to be to canada - might be cheaper to try to source one second hand from the states?

I'm pretty sure there is, but I'll check this evening. I have a set of urbans on my bike and a spare star nut to measure.

Thanks that would be awesome!!

Ive got a brand new, unused dna headlock at home that you can have :)

What front brake are you using because you wont get a hope hydro cable through it, neither will you get a magura hose through unless you put a new olive on afterwards.

I can check the length if you want, I dont want anything for it but not sure how much postage is likely to be to canada - might be cheaper to try to source one second hand from the states?

If you had the longer version that would be absolutely mint! I have a feeling not many of them made it over to North America so I'd probably have the best luck getting yours.... if it's long enough **fingers crossed**

If you had the longer version that would be absolutely mint! I have a feeling not many of them made it over to North America so I'd probably have the best luck getting yours.... if it's long enough **fingers crossed**

Will measure the min and max lengths when I get home :)

You could file a small channel up through the crown pretty easily. A lot of people do it with BMX forks...

I could do that as a last ditch effort if I really needed to. But it looks like there's plenty of room to run a cable through the crown....

med_gallery_13144_1729_197717.jpg

....random pic of urban....

Thanks for the concern through!

Just measured mine, bad news is its only 205mm or there abouts :(

You could cut it mid length, and weld a suitable extending sleeve in there :)

Too bad its a little short.... but I might end up having to extend it. I don't know much about welding but I'm sure thats not a huge or hard task really. I'll get back to you in a few days to see if any other suggestions come up. Thanks again though!!

Still open to ideas though!!

So I found this.... It's called the Amoeba Headlock, same thing as the DNA and I know where I can purchase one...

RS-B150-1.jpg

But it really doesn't look like it would fit. Anybody think otherwise? I can always shave off some of the sides of the bottom piece......