Car Project Thread

JD™

Looks like we'll have to split the engine and box to get it out the bottom, there's a crossmember in the way of the bellhousing. Bellhousing bolts look a twat to get to as well so it'll be easier to lift it out.

I am attempting to make is as original as I can, but spares are...Well 'hard to find' doesn't quite say it. I do want to put my own sort of edge on it aswell, Lamborghini Orange with black 5 spoke alloys with chrome rims and ultra low profile tyres :P

:o

Do it! Do it now!

EDIT: Paul, is that a mk2 or mk3?

Either way, nice one - I love Polo's :) I had a mk3 GT for about a week lol

Edited by TheScientist

I've started to cut the back panels off now, theres loads of sub-frame attached to them...Have only one slight issue though. The full pipe. I can't seen any clips or bolts and it isn't coming loose with the hammer, is it safe to cut it? (there is fuel in the tank though...)

:huh:

I've started to cut the back panels off now, theres loads of sub-frame attached to them...Have only one slight issue though. The fuel pipe. I can't see any clips or bolts and it isn't coming loose with the hammer, is it safe to cut it? (there is fuel in the tank though...)

Obviously it's going to be safer to cut through it with some bolt cutters than a blow torch. But yeah otherwise, it wont be high pressure. Then you can always just retube it when you need to. :turned:

Haha, well In all honesty Im not 100% sure but I am pretty much 100% its not a good idea, not only will you more than likley break every bone in your body as soon as you leave and super smooth surface, I should also imagine the rear axel/chassis etc. will rape itself and die.

Sort some sus out..

The pickup at my dad's works has really stiff leafsprings in the back, and it's useless really, because if your hammering it, there is no weight in the back so it slides everywhere, and it chatters across bumps when going round a corner, which isn't fun. It also spins up constantly.

I'd get some sort of super adjustable rear shocks if I were you, so you can drive it empty and the suspension will still work, and then make them really hard for carrying big weights.

rear suspention is a good idea...

as for the welder, Mig is a good all-rounder, if you are doing alot of welding, get a gas mig, the wire is more expensive if its been treated with flux.

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/choosing_mig_welder.htm check out more here, make your own decision.

mine would be an arc with a fine rod. if you like playing with giant, electrofied matches that is. quite a bit of skill involved, if your going arc, get practiced before u get onto your car.

Ok then...So some of the suspenion is staying. I'll look into this, but is it possible jus to cut the stuff I have into half? and then use some solid metal to make up for the rest of it? Getting lowering kits for it, I can imagine..Will be difficult. I also need to make it really firm, so I plan on compressing the spring (after I've cut it) then force it into a small space...Between the mounts which I have yet to cut out :P

Dude, get it running and then i'll submit you for pimp my ride ;)

Let them spray it, lower it etc for free then take out the unavoidable crap they'll stick in like water fountains and neon interior lighting.