What Do You Drink Before Riding

mista-neos

A good ol cup of tea!

If im at a comp i usually just drink water, its best i reckon, you dont want anything to rich or with to many addatives, and maybe an energy drink during the day to keep me buzzing!

A tip: DO NOT drink orange juice/squash when riding, it'll only end it tears!

Scott

Personally it's either plain water or water with some sort of sugary stuff in (either ribena and actual sugar, or just ribena).

I wouldn't recommend drinking energy drinks like Redbull etc, they work ace for a short time, then you'll start to dehydrate, causing problems with your muscles and brain related functions like judgement and decision making etc.

Hydration is such a massive topic it's scary, water with diluted orange squash or ribena etc with a bit of sugar is the best bet (about 5% sugar). If you get super deep in to it there's other stuff to add, but I wouldn't worry about that until you start training for the olympics! hehe

Personally it's either plain water or water with some sort of sugary stuff in (either ribena and actual sugar, or just ribena).

I wouldn't recommend drinking energy drinks like Redbull etc, they work ace for a short time, then you'll start to dehydrate, causing problems with your muscles and brain related functions like judgement and decision making etc.

Hydration is such a massive topic it's scary, water with diluted orange squash or ribena etc with a bit of sugar is the best bet (about 5% sugar). If you get super deep in to it there's other stuff to add, but I wouldn't worry about that until you start training for the olympics! hehe

Yeah i hate Relentless and the others. Seriously too much, too quick.

I find a small bottle of the non-fizzy Lucozade and the 1.5l pre-made Ribena. + some carbs and a bannana feels best.

We did loads about hydration in the squad this year, and the best thing is good ol' water, and is even better (as Dave said) with a bit of sugar and salts in it. We all drink lucozade sport before the races, and in any time we have free, you have to keep taking little sips of it at every possible moment.

Only downside to lucozade sport is that it makes you piss. Alot. It's awesome stuff though (Y)

If im really tired during a ride, I bust out the mountain dew! Its brilliant, has loads of different things in it like proteins and stuff. And its more of a gradual down after it really wakes you up, but afterwards i feel fine, unlike with redbull when i often ferel even worse after its given the disired affect ;)

Matt

hydration is so important and convenience is king for me. I use High Quality H2o with the added electrolytes and tooth cleaning agents from the kitchen tap, or whatever you brits call a faucet, spicket. I have a british transplant friend here in Merica, we call him Redcoat and he never fails to deliver the most zany vocabulary. I like the 5% sugar water idea, sounds cheap and easy to prepare, sure would be nice if somebody would bottle maple sap straight from the tree for the pine bound folk.

I have a slightly more sensible question:

What can I put in my camelbak? Is it just water, or can I use a dilute or something? Also, would volvic touch of fruit, the lemon one, work?

Anything will go through a camelbak fine mate, problem is cleaning it out properly afterwards to avoid it going yucky. Also after a litre and a half of something or similar, you'll probably find it sickly and just want water.

Anything will go through a camelbak fine mate, problem is cleaning it out properly afterwards to avoid it going yucky. Also after a litre and a half of something or similar, you'll probably find it sickly and just want water.

Cool, ta, just what I was looking for.

heh, I like touch of fruit, i like the taste and I could down it, but I don't really like the taste of water, it tastes, you know... plain.

As long as you wash the bladder out immediately after use and rinse it properly you can put near anything in there :)

I use an old bent wire coat hanger to hang the bladder up to dry, its 3 years old now and still no funny tastes/smells (Y)