Volvo's...wtf

Egg Fried Rice

Right...

I have been driving on the roads for about 5 months now and i have noticed something that is kinda stupid but it's really bugging me.

9 times out of 10 when i'm out driving about, and i come across a volvo (same sorta shape as the pic below) the headlights are ALWAYS on! even when it's the sunniest day ever! It might be coincidance? but still, i roughly counted today i saw about 7 of these volvos and all of them had there headlights on and i was liek wtf? is it a volvo thing? like they have sensors when there headlights come on or the switch for there headlights is easier turned on? haha sorry about this thread but i'd thought i'll share it.

800px-Volvo_S80_T6_2000.jpg

They have automatic light sensors, thats why all Volvo's even have their lights on in the tunnels, becuase they automatically flick on and off. Not sure why they would always be left on though... Got em' on my Fords and thier usually pretty good... and seeing as Volvo is Ford then it should be roughly the same....

I'm not totally sure but I think it has something to do with the origin of where they were made. Not sure where but I think it's somewhere often dark/snowy so they found it easier to keep them on. I don't know if they still do that as a kind of trademark thing 'cus I imagine they're made in different countries now. I might be wrong but that's what i've always thought.

They have automatic light sensors, thats why all Volvo's even have their lights on in the tunnels, becuase they automatically flick on and off. Not sure why they would always be left on though... Got em' on my Fords and thier usually pretty good... and seeing as Volvo is Ford then it should be roughly the same....

Only brand news ones, and only if you select the extra component.

The side lights are ALWAYS on (Every model as far as I know). Front lights are disputable... depends on the model I think

It's nothing to do with light sensors or anything - or at least it wasn't when that started. It was literally a safety feature to not have to remember your lights... doesn't do anyone any harm in the light.

edit: this is going back to at least the late 80's

Edited by pocketRocket FTW

After using google, and I've filtered through the american crap...

It's apparently , something to do with safety. Some car manufacturers have it, some don't. Volvo probably had it because in Sweden you need to see the other drivers.

I'm just guessing the last part... someone must know the right answer!

Where's the guy who works with Top Gear??

edit :

simple answer they come from sweden and it is law in sweden for there to be side lights on at all times (whilst driving) as there is so many months without propper daylight thats why when you see a volvo on a lovely summers day it has its lights on. also there was talk of making this mandatory for all european cars to have this feature. but hasn't been implemented as yet.
Edited by Hendrix

Only brand news ones, and only if you select the extra component.

Dont think its an extra mate.... Anyway the last 6-7 Fords / Volvo's have had it on... but we do get a number of free optional extras

It was literally a safety feature to not have to remember your lights... doesn't do anyone any harm in the light.

Same as motorbikes i guess.... why not have them? Makes you more visible in any conditions.

"From the very start, the company’s two owners, Assar Gabrielsson and Gustaf Larson, decided to construct vehicles that were safe and could withstand the harsh conditions posed by Sweden’s cold climate and the poor road conditions of that time. Since vehicles are driven by people, the founders’ view was that: “Safety is – and must always be – the basic principle in all design work.” The focus on safety, durability and quality has been part of the company’s development from the beginning."

Probably has something to do with it like I said before, as they were from Sweden with dodgey weather/road conditions...

Edited by James-M

Yeah, in Scandinavia it's the law to always have your lights on. It's a safety thing and I would have my lights on all the time if I knew I wouldn't forget to turn them off again. In the daylight you can't see the dashboard lights or your own headlight beams while you're in the car, so I nearly always forget to turn my lights off.

Not only in Sweden I believe it's an EU thing now, apparently recently been done in spain or something too.

Also in Denmark all new cars have it set like that too so you turn it off rather than turn it on, if you know what I mean lol

Edited by ZeroMatt

Yeah, I think it's fecking annoying... in my opinion the only people with dipped lights on during the day should be motorcyclists.

But annoyingly, as with all crappy european things it comming here and daytime lights will be mandatory by 2012, ridiculous.

I belive it is something which is being brought into the UK.

That all cars have to have the headlights on all the time (+1 for being eco friendly, what was wrong with turning them on when its dark).

Can't remember where I heard this, not sure how far away it is either.

Ooo...interesting.

My headlights are literally blue lol and looks swish so i wouldn't mind if i had to have them on haha

you wouldnt mind but the police would.

I tent to whack my cars lights on in all but the sunniest brightest conditions anyway, i mean it doesnt hurt anyone, and it makes a shit load of noise if i try and get out with them on anyway, so i never leave them on.

Think I'm yet to see an audi with the funny LED lights turned off yet too, although that might just be the drivers showing off there toys.

As has already been said, in Skandinavia its law to have DRL's (day running lights).

Not all Volvos have them (my '89 340 dosent) but after a certain date they all do. You might see some newer Volvos with their lights off - this dosen't mean that its an undercover police car. Most of the cars have the option to turn this feature off (my '98 S40 doesn't but my friends '00 S40 does) with a sequence of IGN on > pull back highbeam stalk > IGN off > release stalk.

Even in bright daylight it makes you more visable to other road users (those that disagree, go down the motorway during the day and you'll be able to spot the cars that have their lights on without having to look for them. Obviously if everyone did it, it would reduce the effectiveness).

I quite like it, I don't have to actively turn my lights on in the dark, or turn them off when I leave the car. I do often get the idiot that thinks I don't know my lights are on and proceeds to blind me by flashing their main beams. I usually greet them with a finger or a wave, depending on my mood.

Andy P

What does bother me is seeing endless Corsa's driven by 16 year olds with f**king fog lights on at sunset...

Talking of Corsas I had one right up my arse (literally about 3ft away) the other day...so when I saw him playing around with his CD player I slammed on; the look of terror in his eyes was halarious. He then pulled out to overtake me and a *ahem* porsche GT3...which then sped up and wouldn't let him back into the right side of the road.

Road rage ***.

It's nothing to do with light sensors or anything - or at least it wasn't when that started. It was literally a safety feature to not have to remember your lights... doesn't do anyone any harm in the light.

edit: this is going back to at least the late 80's

Yea this is true, it is simply for saftey reasons.

I belive it can be turned of if you get some sort of code/key from a Volvo dealer but they probably wouldnt give it to you.