Gavin Bedford Off The Bike For A While

gavtrials

Hello all my fellow trials forum members

As some of you are aware I injured my knee back in the first round of the British bike trial championships in April and had to retire half way through the competition.

I then left it a few weeks and thought that if I rested my knee and stayed off the bike it would be ok…

Having left it 3 weeks and it still wasn’t better I went into A+E , The doctor wasn’t too impressed that I had left it so long without going in, He took one look at it and I was back in the following week seeing the surgeon!

He gave me two routes to take,

Either wait up to 6 months for a scan which by the time that came around everything might have settled down by then and I mite be able to ride again or have key hole surgery at the soonest available date and he can go in and sort out what ever was wrong! He was very confident that I had done some fairly sizeable Damage inside my knee.

So I opted for the surgery which took place Thursday 3rd of July, so far the operation was a success and he found 2 fairly big tears in my cartilage and repaired them and flushed out any debris that were present otherwise he said the rest of the knee was very healthy and in a few weeks when the stitches come out I should see a massive improvement rite away…

I see him again in 6 weeks time for an assessment and then he can give me the all clear to start building the muscles back up slowly as long as everything has gone to plan. I am hoping I will be able to ride the last British round in September at hook woods depending on how everything pans out, I now realise how frustrating an injury can be having been fairly injury free for the past 6-7 years!

I am truly gutted this year as I am going to miss undoubtedly some amazing British rounds and world rounds that I was planning on attending and being able to ride with all you guys not just from the UK but all over the world too!

Hope to see everyone soon!

Gavin Bedford

did they repair the meniscus or remove some of it?? Alters the recovery a great deal...

I had the same thing mate, with the added shitter of snapping my ACL and having it replaced. Yuo just gotta look to the future and be excited. Don't bother being gutted as it doesn't help.

Never under estimate the benefits of ic. it's AMAZING, TRUST ME. Use it every day, 20 mintes every 2 hours if you can. I can't shout it's praises enough.

Sorry to hear that Gavin. Chris did the same as Bongo back in November, cartlidge broken into 3 pieces and severed the ACL. They repaired the cartlidge a couple of months ago but he's now waiting for surgery to replace the ACL, which they say is only 50% chance of success.

Hope your recovery goes well.

feel for you mate, i crushed my foot 9-10 weeks ago now and its going to be another month or two before i'll be riding again. cant stress enough how much you need to do physio and dont rush things. knee replacements at your age just arent cool.

good luck with your recovery (Y)

• 3 weeks later...