Logics Of Humpty Dumpty

bikeperson45

How do we know that Humpty Dumpty is an egg? It never says it in the rhyme, is it just an overused artists interpretation.

Even if he is an egg, how do he get up the wall, I've never seen an egg with arms and legs.

Why did he try to get up the wall?

Stupidist nursery rhyme I've ever heard, and I've heard a lot.

Oh dear. Everyone knows Humpty Dumpty was a 17th century tank/cannon.

Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall,

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall;

All the king’s horses and all the king’s men

Couldn’t put Humpty together again

The real Humpty Dumpty was not a person but a powerful cannon used by the Royalist forces during the English Civil War of 1642 to 1651.

Sir Charles Lucas and Sir George Lisle led the King’s men and overpowered the Parliament stronghold of Colchester early in 1648. They grimly held on while the Parliamentarians, led by Thomas Fairfax, encircled and besieged the town.

The supporters of Charles I almost won the day - all thanks to his doughtiest defender, Humpty Dumpty. In pole position, as it were, on top of the church tower of St Mary-at-the-Walls (Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall) their gunners managed to blast away the attacking Roundhead troops for 11 weeks.

Eventually, though, the top of the church tower was blown away, sending Humpty Dumpty crashing to the ground, where it buried itself in deep marshland (Humpty Dumpty had a great fall).

The king’s cavalry (the horses) and the infantry (the men) hurried to retrieve the cannon, but they couldn’t put Humpty together again - and without their weapon of mass destruction they were soon overrun by Fairfax and his soldiers.

Rubbish Humpty Dumpty topic? Done. [/Gordon Ramsey voice]

Apparently, the reason everyone thinks humpty dumpty is an egg is because when that poem was released, also Lewis Carrol released a book that had a picture of what you and I think humpty dumpty looks like. That character was also named humpty dumpty, so people thought the rhyme was about that character.

Even if Humpty Dumpty had no explanation, then it still wouldn't matter. It's a nursery rhyme.

IF YOU ARE STILL ANALYSING NURSERY RHYMES THEN YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG.

The rest of us moved on from Humpty Dumpty, aged about 4 years.

I know its in your nature to be miserable and dismissive, but don't you ever idly wonder about silly things like that?