Should I Invest £1k In Halifax Shares?

JT!

HBOS  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Should I?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dunno / Don't Care / Lobster Dog.

Do you actually know anything about investment?

No.

I just think this is as low as hsbc are going to go. The recession is predicted to only last another 18 months to 2 years, and hbos shares prices were at 1000-800 back then. They only need to get back up to 110 for me to have made half a grand.

But yeah, i don't know much compared to most and i'm not denying it.

I just think this is as low as hsbc are going to go. The recession is predicted to only last another 18 months to 2 years, and hbos shares prices were at 1000-800 back then. They only need to get back up to 110 for me to have made half a grand.

But yeah, i don't know much compared to most and i'm not denying it.

Or... The only need to go down 35p for you to have lost £500 (plus fees). But what if they're going up when you have to sell? At what point do you sell? What if the pensions problems get too big and they collapse?

Only gamble with money you can afford to lose...

This may sound a bit stupid but have you looked into the terms and conditions of selling the shares?? The reason I ask is the majority of companys have a 12month period where you cannot sell them. It stops people just buying £1m worth of shares and selling them back on hours later to make a quick buck.

With the shares I have in Gemalto, I can't sell mine for 18months.

I do not see why you guys are taking the p*ss out of JT!, i actually commend what he has done. yes its a risk, but with shares everywhere plummeting just now, possibly even as low as they could go in some cases then now is the right time to invest surely???

Of course there is the chance that JT's shares could drop at the moment, and the shares could be losing money, however its a similar investment as purchasing a property. At the current time, the property I have bought has probably / likely lost value, however I wish to be keeping hold of this flat for a good couple of years - 5 minimum - and hopefully in that time all this recession malarkey will have disappeared and the economy will begin to recover. As such I would hope the value will creep back up and when it comes to selling I will make a profit on what I paid.

It is NEVER a bad time to buy an investment, just a bad time to sell so my advice to JT would be just to hold onto his shares through the recession and hope that when he comes out the other end he will sell at a profit.

Good luck lad

There's nothing wrong with people investing their money as long as:

• They know about the basics of investing
  • They know the area they're investing in
  • They can afford to lose all the money

To know nothing about investing, and putting it in a long term, low risk known stock is good. To put it into a company on the verge of collapse/takeover/who knows is very risky.

Yes, now is a good time to invest, but it's also a turbulent time. Banks especially are going through the wringer and the number of banks I'd invest in at the moment is very, very limited. Anyone who has a significant profile in retailing is also not in the best shape. Who knows what the landscape will be like on the other side. You'll see more big names fall, but back the right one and they could come out stronger.

At the current time, the property I have bought has probably / likely lost value, however I wish to be keeping hold of this flat for a good couple of years - 5 minimum - and hopefully in that time all this recession malarkey will have disappeared and the economy will begin to recover. As such I would hope the value will creep back up and when it comes to selling I will make a profit on what I paid.

Its not quite that simple though, as house prices rise and fall at the same rate. As your property goes back up in value, so do all other properties (to an extent, I'm generalising here) so even though you are technically making a certain profit on what you paid originally, to buy anything else will also cost more.

Its not quite that simple though, as house prices rise and fall at the same rate. As your property goes back up in value, so do all other properties (to an extent, I'm generalising here) so even though you are technically making a certain profit on what you paid originally, to buy anything else will also cost more.

Depends on your options...

Im a mortgage Adviser, I know a fair amount of folk up here in Aberdeen that have worked off shore they bought their flats/houses when the market was low. Then when property boomed they sold and rented.... 8 months to a year later they bought when the prices came back down. some of these guys made 75K + because of this. There are other ways to look at it, along with other ways to invest in property.

JT... if you were anything like me investing in your first shares... bet you are sat there watching your shares every 2-5 mins!

As far as my shares in the bank's go... they are not a short term investment for me.

JT... if you were anything like me investing in your first shares... bet you are sat there watching your shares every 2-5 mins!

I'm mashing f5 as we speak.

Nah been pretty good actually, i'm normally not out of bed by the time the market closes in london, and half the time i'm in bed when it opens.

What i do find myself doing is reading all the hbos news updates, even though i don't understand a word of it and i'm not going to sell until they get over 105, and never sell no matter how low they get. Makes it kinda pointless reading but i still do.