French Cars

tipsy Jock

Surely if the timing was off the engine would sieze to work?

If the timing has went slightly out, how can i fix this, is it a hard job? I recently fitted a new cam belt to it, 99% sure everything was aligned though.

Cheers.

It'll be 1% out then :P

Might be a slightly worn valve guide (did you check when the head was off ?) or maybe a bit of play in the gudgeon pin. Could even be a slightly blowing exhaust gasket !

Hard to say without hearing it though.

Surely if the timing was off the engine would sieze to work?

If the timing has went slightly out, how can i fix this, is it a hard job? I recently fitted a new cam belt to it, 99% sure everything was aligned though.

Cheers.

If you know how to fit a cam belt, surely you know how to realign everything, time her up, lock the crank(either via pin on the front or flywheel pin, if it doesnt have space for a pin, just get it inline with the timing marks.

Then check to see if the cam pulley(s?) are in line, again either with pins(drill bits usually do quite a good job with cam pulleys) or gettin the marks lined up.

Youll normally find the cam pulley(s?) will have 3 bolts to give a small degree of movement on, to help when taking up tension on the belt, can be adjusted there if its less than a tooth out, obviously if its a tooth out, its a belt off jobbie, and get it right.

Youll only ever mess one cambelt up, and think "close enough" unless your a complete idiot, becauses its bad enough doing it once, let alone twice.

Edited by Fish-Finger-er

Any tips on what to look out for when buying a 406 2.0 HDI?

itll be around 100k ish plus on millage to be within my budget.

From what i have heard suspension is a thing to look out for especially on the front, Hdi engines are usually bombproof to be honest, id just do the usual checks on the caambelt oil water breaks etc.

Steve

dude, wtf?

I thought you had seen the light and were jumping on the vagtrain?

To be fair nick, even I'd admit that HDI's are bloody good, and 405's/406's seem pretty bomb proof. Although I believe liam may have since driven his mothers PD130 passat since and decided that an A4 would be the way to go, big man style.

But yeah, so as not to go too off topic, my dads 1.9td 405 had its dash clocks changed at 120k, and has since racked up another 40k on the new clocks without any more than a new back box needed. (Y) good reliable cars.

To be fair nick, even I'd admit that HDI's are bloody good, and 405's/406's seem pretty bomb proof. Although I believe liam may have since driven his mothers PD130 passat since and decided that an A4 would be the way to go, big man style.

But yeah, so as not to go too off topic, my dads 1.9td 405 had its dash clocks changed at 120k, and has since racked up another 40k on the new clocks without any more than a new back box needed. (Y) good reliable cars.

Decisions decisions, ide love a Vagmobil, but there is something about the HDI's i like. must be that evil in me.

MMMMM AX style!!!!! Drives like the suspension is on plates of jelly, feels like a boat with more than 2 people in it, tiny 1L engine, somehting knocks when i accelerate round hard left corners... but i loves it :D

post-7597-1230634246_thumb.jpg

Edited by bikerdude2006fr

MMMMM AX style!!!!! Drives like the suspension is on plates of jelly, feels like a boat with more than 2 people in it, tiny 1L engine, somehting knocks when i accelerate round hard left corners... but i loves it :D

:)

thats ace.

on other news my engines in and almost ready to start up :P (just very damp!)

cv joint also known to go in the saxo:D

clean your wheels :P cars looking great ill bosh some pics of mine up soon enough, wont have the cage painted or welded in yet though.

Sssh you! You would be proud of me, I spent all day Monday painting a friends car Matt Camo green. :D There's something strange about painting a car with a roller :S